Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) Eragon discussion

Arya?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've found many on the Internet that say Arya is a Mary Sue, but I don't think so. She has her flaws, her pros and cons, and I don't see why the love interests of book's main characters are always labelled as 'Mary Sues'. Ginny Weasley, Annabeth Chase, Piper McLean, Arya Drotting(u)...the list goes on. Thoughts?

Rosalba what is a Mary Sue?

Mariam good point rosalba. I'd ask the samething.Thoughi'll google it now. see what turns up.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

A Mary-Sue is defined by Google as a A fictional character, usually female and especially in fanfic, whose implausible talents and likeableness weaken the story. In other words, completely perfect female character.

Julianna I'd like to point out that since it's narrated by Eragon, and he's on love with her, that she'll be protrayed in a biased manner. Also I think that Mary Sue's are created more by the writing than by the actual character traits. because otherwise you could take absolutely any character and make him/her a mary sue

Esme I really don't think she is a Mary Sue, neither is Annabeth.

Sydney Yeah.. Annabeth and Ginny, are they really Mary Sues? And the story is told by Eragon, who loves her, so he'll leave out things that would keep people from calling her a Mary Sue.

Julianna Wrote: "she'll be protrayed in a biased manner" and that's true.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My point exactly!

Shawn Evans Of course she will seem like a mary sue eragon is in love with her love causes people to see past imperfections and most of the time ignore them to the point that they dont notice them

message 10: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat Shahdia wrote: "I've found many on the Internet that say Arya is a Mary Sue, but I don't think so. She has her flaws, her pros and cons, and I don't see why the love interests of book's main characters are always ..."

Bella Swan, you forgot Bella Swan

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Linski I'm not sure. She had some flaws, but Eragon was so in love with her it was hard to tell. I'm not even sure why Paolini put that romance in there, because *SPOILER ALERT* at the end of the last book it ended up being unresolved anyways. To me she was highly irritating, and I was hoping there would be another female character to replace her and take the green dragon, but my hopes went unresolved. Was anyone else unable to stand Arya?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought she was a brilliant character.

sushmitha I thought Arya was a little unapproachable and miss-high-and-mighty in the beginning but later, especially in Brisingr, she kinda grew on me.I loved her confidence and composure.Maybe Paolini thought unrequited love would be romantic but the ending spoiled it for me.

Marthe Bozart In the books she for sure isn't perfect in my opinion.. Eragon even talks about that side she doesn't show anyone, because it's full of pain.. When he makes the fairth the first time, yes, he portrais her as a Mary Sue, but that's how HE sees her.. His second fairth is much more honest and shows that side. Also, if she was perfect she would have chosen to play the elven princess, NOT the messenger between the Varden & the elves.. She's an admirable character and brave for sure, but she can also be cold, distant & gloomy

Andrea in not my favorite character of the book... in definitely NO. But is not like a Marie sue.