City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Taylor song that fits this books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sofi So I'm a really big Taylor Swift fan and I'm also obssesed with The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, so I've been wondering witch song of hers fits this books, What do you think?

Halle Trouble for when Clary sees Jace for the first time.

message 3: by Cat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cat Omigosh, I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan. But I'm only on the first book of TMI, so I can't accurately assume anything yet. But maybe I Knew You Were Trouble. I'll give this more thought first.

Jordan I don't have a Taylor song, but I have a song by Miranda Cosgrove! Disgusting pretty much says she can't help loving him even though it is completely wrong. I love it... Although I do agree that I knew you were trouble is a pretty good choice.

Paulene Hunted and Red by TSwift

message 6: by lara (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

lara i agree with RED but i dont know about HAUNTED maybe MINE by tswift

Candace Walker I love taylor!! I knew u were trouble, teardrops on my guitar, mine & red :)

Gabby Halle wrote: "Trouble for when Clary sees Jace for the first time."

I LOVE THE MUSIC VIDEO FOR THAT SONG!! And it totally fits!!

Madiha (Paper Skies) How about All too well? That's a T-Swift classic! And it totally suits Clary and Jace...Reading City of Lost Souls, feeling real sad right now.

Jordan Maybe forever and always for the ending of the first book. Originally it was meant for someone who cheated, but I think it could work.

☾ saskia Red yeah, and Mine can also I guess but I don't think there's a Taylor song that fits Clace perfectly..

message 12: by Lia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lia Enchanted by Taylor because the main girl is always drawn to the guy

Taryn Red, Enchanted, All too Well, safe and Sound, Holy ground, the way i loved you, long live, sparks fly, this is really happening, untouchable, superman, love story, innocent, i'd lie, beautiful eyes, everything has changed,mine,eyes open, you belong with me

message 14: by Cat (last edited Jan 12, 2013 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cat WARNING: IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE FIRST THREE BOOKS OF THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS SERIES, THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!! I REPEAT, SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I put a lot of thought into this, and here it is:

Taylor Swift songs compatible with The Mortal Instruments series

Taylor Swift TAYLOR SWIFT

Cold as You (for City of Bones and City of Ashes, Jace and Clary)
Verse 1: You have a way of coming easily to me, and when you take, you take the very best of me. Very true, Jace comes quite easily to Clary, and he does take a lot from her when she’s missing him. So I start a fight, cuz I need to feel something, and you do what you want, cuz I’m not what you wanted. Not exactly true, Clary is what Jace wants, but they do infuriate each other a fair amount of the time, and it’s true that sometimes either of them starts a fight just to get an emotion of out the other. Chorus: Oh, what a shame, what a rainy ending given to a perfect day. Yes, their fights can ruin a perfect day. Just walk away, ain’t no use defending words that you will never say. And now that I’m sitting here, thinking it through, I’ve never been anywhere cold as you. While it may not quite be true to say Jace is cold, he is certainly somewhat reserved with his emotions—“To love is to destroy”—and he won’t defend words he doesn’t want to say, plus he’s pretty stubborn. I find this all quite accurate. Verse 2: You put up walls and paint them all a shade of gray, and I stood there loving you and wished them all away. Like I said, Jace is certainly reserved; Clary’s the only person he’s let love him for a long time. And you come away with a sad little story of a mess of a dreamer, with the nerve to adore you. Remember Jace’s story about the falcon he loved and destroyed? He could be comparing that to Clary in this line. Repeat chorus. Verse 3: You never did give a damn thing, honey, but I cried, cried for you. She certainly did. And he certainly does. And I know you wouldn’t have told nobody if I died, died for you, died for you… Okay, that part’s a lie; Jace would tell somebody if Clary died. Repeat chorus.

The Outside (for City of Ashes, Simon)
Verse 1: I didn’t know what I would find when I went looking for a reason. I know, I didn’t read between the lines, and baby, I’ve got nowhere to go. I tried to take the road less traveled by. But nothing seems to work the first few times, am I right? I think this song goes well when you think of when Simon turned into a vampire. In City of Bones, he bit Raphael and thought he was turning into a vampire, and after the kiss Jace and Clary shared at the Seelie Court, he decided to go looking for a reason he was experiencing vampiric things. He has nowhere to go after being hurt by Clary, repeatedly—“You know what the worst thing I can imagine is? Not trusting someone I love.” Sure, I guess you could say breaking into a vampire lair to find out what you are is taking the road less traveled by, and it certainly didn’t work out… Chorus: So how can I ever try to be better? Nobody ever lets me in! I can still see you, this ain’t the best view, on the outside, looking in. I’ve been a lot of lonely places… I’ve never been on the outside. How can Simon ever get better at loving if Clary’s the only one he loves, shutting him out? Yeah, he can definitely see her kissing Jace, and it isn’t a very good view, that’s for sure. Verse 2: You saw me there, but never knew that I would give it all up to be a part of this, a part of you. But now it’s all too late, so you see, you could have helped if you had wanted to. But no one notices until it’s too late to do anything. Yes, Clary always knew Simon was standing there, but she didn’t know how badly he wanted to be a big part of her life. She could have helped, she could have been honest with him: “No, Simon, I don’t love you, I love my brother… I’ll stop pretending I do… blah blah…” (Which is why Simon eventually broke up with her at the end of COA.) Repeat chorus.

Invisible (for City of Ashes, Simon) Note: I changed all the “she’s” to “he’s” because this is Simon’s point of view.
Verse 1: He can’t see the way your eyes light up when you smile. He doesn’t notice how you stop and stare whenever he walks by. And you can’t see me wanting you the way you want him, but you are everything to me. The first two lines are not really true to me, if you think they are in some way, please feel free to comment and explain. It’s true Clary doesn’t see how badly Simon wants her and she is everything to him (remember in COA, when Luke said Simon always fought to be by Clary’s side? That’s true devotion, right there). Chorus: So I just wanna show you, he don’t even know you, baby, let me love you, let me want you. But you just see right through me, if you only knew me, we could be a beautiful miracle, unbelievable, instead of just invisible. I’m not sure how much Jace might know about Clary when you pit his knowledge about Clary against Simon’s. But Clary sees through Simon as a friend, and she doesn’t see his love. That’s also how I see the line “if you only knew me”, because Clary knows Simon, just not in the way he wants her to. Verse 2: There’s a fire inside of you that can’t help but shine through. He’s never gonna see the light, no matter what you do. And all I think about is how to make you think of me and everything that we could be. Repeat chorus. Like shadows in a faded light, oh, we’re invisible... I just wanna open your eyes and make you realize... That you can never love your brother! Just kidding. Repeat Chorus. I think that you can think of Clary as being “invisible” to Jace only if you think of it as this way: that Jace ignores her because they are supposed to be siblings. Other than that, their love burns pretty bright.

Please comment. Thank you. :)

message 15: by Cat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cat WARNING: IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE FIRST THREE BOOKS OF THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS SERIES, THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!! I REPEAT, SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Taylor Swift FEARLESS

Breathe (for City of Ashes, Simon)
Verse I: I see your face in my mind as I walk away. Cuz none of thought it was gonna end that way. People are people and sometimes we change our minds. But it’s killing me to see you go after all this time. Mmmmm... Okay, this one takes place after Simon sees Clary and Jace kissing in the Seelie Court. He’s thinking about her as he walks away... (By the way, I changed that line from “drive away” to “walk away” just to get my point across.) and he never thought that their visit would end with the Faerie Queen forcing Jace to kiss Clary. Following along so far? He saw the look on Clary’s face after the kiss. It’s killing him to see her dragging him along like this, after all the time they’ve been dating. Music starts playing like the end of a sad movie. It’s the kind of ending you really don’t wanna see. Cuz it’s tragedy and it’ll only bring you down. Now I don’t know what to be without you around. Picture Simon walking away, head down, sad music playing in his head, rewinding the tragedy he witnessed (well, to him) over and over. He doesn’t know what to be without Clary, whom he’s loved for so long... Chorus: And we know it’s never simple, never easy, never a clean break, no one here to save me. You’re te only thing I know like the back of my hand... and I can’t breathe without you, but I have to breathe without you, but I have to. Pretty much self-explanatory in the words themselves. Verse 2: Never wanted this, never wanna see you hurt. Every little bump in the road, I tried to swerve. (If it makes you happy, Clary knew he was thinking when she asked him not to pick up the phone at the beginning of COA.) But people are people and sometimes it doesn’t work out. And nothing we say is gonna save us from the fallout, ooooh. Yeah, it didn’t work out. Simon and Clary’s relationship, I mean, because of the fallout Simon experienced at the Seelie Court. Repeat chorus. It’s two a.m., feeling like I just lost a friend, I hope you know this ain’t easy, easy for me. It’s two a.m., feeling like I just lost a friend, I hope you know this ain’t easy, easy for me, oohhh, and we know it’s never simple, never easy, never a clean break, no one here to save me, ohhhh! But I have to breathe without you, but I have to breathe without you, but I have to breathe without you, but I have to. (I’m sorry...I’m sorry, yeah. Mmmm, yeah.... I’m sorry...) Actually, maybe Simon really did lose a friend in that moment. (“You know what the worst thing I can imagine is? Not trusting someone I love.”) Poor Simon.
Also, this song might work out if you swap it and play it from Clary’s point of view, but for me, it’s always been about Simon’s pain.

Tell Me Why (for City of Bones and City of Ashes, Jace and Clary)
Verse 1: You took a chance, you took a shot, and you might think I’m bulletproof, but I’m not. You took a swing, I took it hard, and down here from the ground, I see who you are. Chorus: I’m sick and tired of your attitude, I’m feeling like I don’t know you, you tell me that you love me, then push me down. And I need you like a heartbeat, but you know you’ve got a mean streak. Makes me run for cover when you’re around. And here’s to you and your temper; yes, I remember what you said last night. And I know that you see what you’re doing to me; tell me why. Okay, I can’t quite pin a down a specific moment, but there has got to be one time, I know it, that Jace has hit Clary in her weak spot and made he feel neglected or hurt, a way that made her feel like she hated his guts. I know there was a fight somewhere like that. And this song says it all. Verse 2: You could write a book on how to ruin someone’s perfect day... well, I get so confused and frustrated, forget what I’m trying to say. Chorus 2: Oh, I’m sick and tired of your reasons, I’ve got no one to believe in, you tell me that you want me, then push me around. And I need you like a heartbeat, but you know you’ve got a mean streak. Makes me run for cover when you’re around. And here’s to you and your temper; yes, I remember what you said last night. And I know that you see what you’re doing to me; tell me why. Why? Do you have to make me feel small, so you can feel whole inside? Why do you have to put down my dreams, so you’re the only thing on my mind? I’m not sure what dreams Clary has, but I definitely know more than once Jace has been the only thing on her mind. I’m sick and tired of your attitude, I’m feeling like I don’t know you, you tell me that you want me, then cut me down. And I’m sick and tired of your reasons, I’ve got no one to believe in, you ask me for my love, then you push me around. Here’s to you and your temper; yes, I remember what you said last night. And I know that you see what you’re doing to me; tell me why. Why? Tell me why. Ohhh. I take a step back, let you go, I told you I’m not bulletproof, now you know. Although Taylor Swift must be saying goodbye to the guy in this song, think of Clary taking a step back and letting Jace go as if only for the day, to let him simmer off and for them both to recover.

Change
This song is about a revolution against the war going on, and since I haven’t read City of Glass yet, in which I think the Mortal War is going to occur, I can’t accurately say much about this song. But after I read it, if I still think it fits the description, I’ll elaborate. For now, however, I feel like this is what Clary and Jace and everyone who hates Valentine are thinking as they go to war against him.

Please comment. Thank you. :)

message 16: by Cat (last edited Jan 12, 2013 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Taylor Swift SPEAK NOW

Sparks Fly (for City of Bones and City of Ashes, Clary to Jace)
Perhaps this song could take place before or after City of Ashes. But nevertheless, I think it’s a good love song for the two. Verse 1: The way you move is like a full-on rainstorm and I’m a house of cards. You’re the kind of reckless that should send me running, but I kinda know that I won’t get far. And you stood there in front of me, just close enough to touch. Close enough to hope you couldn’t see what I was thinking of... Chorus: Drop everything now! Meet me in the pouring rain, kiss me on the sidewalk, take away the pain. Cuz I see sparks fly whenever you smile. Get me with those gold eyes, baby, (wait, are Jace’s eyes gold or amber? I had to change this part.) when the lights go down, give me something that’ll haunt me when you’re not around, cuz I see sparks fly, whenever you smile. Verse 2: My mind forgets to remind me you’re a bad idea. You touch me once and it’s really something; you find I’m even better than you imagined I would be. I’m on my guard for the rest of the world, but for you, I know it’s no good. And I could wait patiently, but I really wish you would... Repeat chorus. Verse 3: I’ll run my fingers through your hair and watch the lights go wild. Just keep on keeping your eyes on me; it’s just wrong enough to make it feel right. And lead me up the staircase, won’t you whisper, soft and slow, “I’m captivated by you, baby, like a fireworks show.” Repeat chorus. And the sparks fly, ohhh. Ooo, baby, smile... And the sparks fly... This is my favorite Taylor Swift song. :)

Haunted (for City of Ashes, Clary)
Verse 1: You and I walk a fragile line; I have known it all this time, but I never thought I’d live to see it break. It’s getting dark and it’s all too quiet, and I can’t trust anything now. And it’s coming over you like it’s all a big mistake. Here’s how I think of this: Clary and Simon have walked a fragile line since Jace came into Clary’s life. It shattered after the Seelie Court incident and Simon got turned into a vamp. So Clary’s sitting in Jace’s bedroom, worrying about Simon, and it’s getting dark, it’s too quiet—she hasn’t heard from Simon yet... and maybe at the moment, Simon is over at the vampire lair, getting attacked, realizing it was all a big mistake to come there. That’s how I think of it. Ohhh, holding my breath. Won’t see lose you again... something’s made your eyes go cold! Oh, she’s holding her breath. She won’t lose Simon again; by now, I’m imagining Raphael has showed up at the Institute with Simon’s nearly-dead body. Then fast-forward to Simon’s rising as a vampire, and when he jumps, Clary, his eyes are cold. Yup. Chorus: Come on, come on, don’t leave me like this! I thought I had you figured out! Something’s gone terribly wrong... you’re all I wanted! Come on, come on, don’t leave me like this! I thought I had you figured out! Can’t breathe whenever you’re gone, can’t turn back now, I’m haunted! Clary is thinking, maybe shrieking, in her head, “Don’t leave me like this...!!!” because Simon’s turning into a vampire, this is nothing like the Simon she knew... And then, the part about where she can’t breathe—at the end of the chapter, when she stumbles away from Simon, feeding, and collapses, haunted by what she saw. Verse 2: Stood there and watched you walk away from everything we had, but I still mean every word I said to you. He will try to take away my pain, and he just might make me smile, but the whole time, I’m wishing he was you instead. Clary stood there and watched Simon walk away after the Seelie Court incident, but she felt really bad about it. Jace will try to take away her pain, but for once in her life, it won’t work, because she’s thinking about poor, poor Simon. Ohhh, holding my breath. Won’t see you again... Something keeps me holding on to nothing! You know, Clary will never see the mundane Simon again now that he’s a vampire. Repeat chorus. I know... I know... I just know... you’re not gone. No, you can’t be gone! NO! (The Simon she knew can’t be gone.) Come on, come on, don’t leave me like this! I thought I had you figured out! Something’s gone terribly wrong... won’t finish want you started! (I imagine, “You promised me, Simon! Friends forever!” *sob, sob*) Come on, come on, don’t leave me like this! I thought I had you figured out! Can’t breathe whenever you’re gone, can’t go back now, I’m haunted! Ooooohhhhhhhhh, you and I walk a fragile line; I have known it all this time, but I never thought I’d see it break, never thought I’d see it.

Innocent
I’m not so sure about this one, but I think it would be good for Simon, again, remembering his days as a human. Maybe Clary’s the one singing it to him... (“Wasn’t it easier in your lunch box/firefly-catching days?” :) That's all about youth and innocence.)

Taylor Swift RED

Red
Coming soon. ;)

I am a Taylor Swift fanatic. Please comment. Thank you. :)