Steampunk Reads discussion

Good Steampunk novels (Airships please)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne | 2 comments I've been playing a lot of Guns of Icarus and that got me thinking that a good book with that type of airships would be awesome. After hours of research I've had little to no success. I looked at Leviathan but I really don't want a young adult novel, especially where the lead is only 15 or 16. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 19 comments Jack Cloudie by Stephen Hunt takes place largely on airships.

message 3: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne | 2 comments Thanks. I noticed it's the 5th in a series. Any idea of it's ok to read out of order?

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 19 comments There are some recurring characters, but the books are basically standalone so you should be OK.

I'd suggest Kenneth Oppel's Airborn series, but those are also YA with young leads.

One more: The Warlord of the Air by Michael Moorcock.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The third book in Shelley Adina's Magnificent Devices series is largely set on an airship and even has air pirates. Plus, the whole series as a whole is just a good, quick read. I'd recommend it even if the other two don't feature air ships as heavily. You can probably read this as a standalone though. There's not so much background information that it'd be insurmountable.

Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices #3) by Shelley Adina

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (librarykatz) | 29 comments Have you tried The Wrath of Fate by "Captain" Robert Brown? I haven't read it but it does have airship pirates.

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Dec 27, 2012 10:52PM) (new)

Nicole (lunakaos) The Iron Seas series by Meljean Brooks is uber steampunk.
Iron Duke The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook Set in london brings altered people and they end up on an airship, there is even a kraken.
Heart of Steel Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) by Meljean Brook follows an adventurer and the airship pirate from the previous book on their adventures
Rivited Riveted (Iron Seas, #3) by Meljean Brook sees a new bunch of characters in iceland starting on the airship and also some cool mechanical trolls.
Definatley not teen reads

message 8: by Adam (new)

Adam | 1 comments I recommend Fitzpatrick's War by Theodore Judson. It is not entirely steampunk but it has dirigibles and a large war.

message 9: by Luke (new)

Luke (thesteamwolf) | 1 comments The Leviathan Trilogy.

message 10: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Metrov (metrov) | 12 comments I've written two steampunk-fantasy novels with airships: FALCON LORD and THE TERRIBLE QUEST OF THADDEUS PENNYBROOK'S KNEE-HIGH STEAMBOTS. My other novel MACHINE OF GOD is more machinepunk/historical fantasy. You can see my books here on my profile page or visit my webiste: http://lightmasters.net Let me know if you have questions. Thanks!

message 11: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 52 comments I think Kenneth Oppel's Airborn series have already been mentioned, but they are awesome books and one of my favorite Steampunk series.