Shacknews discussion

Book club?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (ak74) Gonna make this the point for ongoing discussion for a book club.

If you're interested, reply here with the genre you wish to read and any genres you want to stay away from. I'm going to propose a book-a-month schedule, forecasted at least a couple months out. If enough people are interested we can diverge into different genres.

I'll start. I'm primarily interested in 'literary' fiction, so I'm not much interested in SciFi, Fantasy, Romance novels, or Thrillers. I realize I'm probably in the minority here but we'll see what comes.

message 2: by C (new)

C | 2 comments I only read Twilight

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy (stolennosferatu) | 1 comments Branching out of scifi and fantasy would be nice, but I definitely wouldn't want to read most romance novels. I would like historical fiction or non-fiction, with mystery coming in 2nd.

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (ak74) Well I looked into the Reddit book club, but their method is flawed. You can nominate and vote for any book - Coming up for Air by George Orwell was in the lead for January, and in the last couple days some people downvoted it and The Life of Pi won at the last minute. So if those 15 people who wanted to read their book go around and downvote everyone else's votes, well... fuck that.

So the voting system has another flaw. I won't even bother with them again.

message 5: by Vectorjkl (new)

Vectorjkl | 3 comments I really like Historical fiction and Biographies. I'm not sure which would be more interesting in a book club format.

message 6: by Louis (new)

Louis (megarust) | 1 comments Tentatively interested, let's see where this goes!

message 7: by Dann (new)

Dann (vincentgrayson) | 2 comments A different genre every month might be nice. I'd assume maybe a single book each month? I'm a fairly quick read, but I know a lot of people don't have the time to plow through a book a week or even every two weeks. I'm not sure about how to handle voting...maybe let one member pick a book each month, rotating through everyone that's interested?

message 8: by Vectorjkl (new)

Vectorjkl | 3 comments I like this idea. I use to read alot, but life caught up to me. 1 book a month is a good pace for me right now.

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg Walden (gswalden) | 2 comments I'd definitely join in. Looking at the thread, I'd vote for historical fiction and mystery.

message 10: by C (new)

C | 2 comments If ya'll are going to be boring and want historical stuff then I'm going to nominate American Canopy: Trees, Forests, and the Making of a Nation

http://www.amazon.com/American-Canopy...

Is it too late to have this for February? I guess it's a short month. It's only 300 pages though, and his writing style is easy to read.

There's a Diane Rehm show where they interviewed him too:

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/201...

It's not fiction but it's cool stories about trees so it has my vote.

message 11: by Vectorjkl (new)

Vectorjkl | 3 comments I don't guess this is going anywhere :(