You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Beverly's steam rolling High Octane ABC's

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I probably will change some along the way.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen the Montefiore book on Jerusalem, and considered it, so be good to see what you think. I watched his series on Jerusalem last year (on BBC4) and it was really good. There's one on Rome on at the moment - recorded it but not yet had a chance to watch it. He was both excited to be there and very down to earth, I thought it worked well on screen - be interesting to see if it works as well in print.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49990 comments Looks like you have the hang of it!

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Tick tock. tick tick. Time running way too slow. I want to start the challenge now.

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Let the games begin. Just finished watching Rose Parade, now it's time to get acquainted with the Middlesteins.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished my first book. It was a very melancholic read.

message 9: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Fantastic list! Good luck! : )

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49990 comments Good job in finishing your first book. :)

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I finished my second book. I give it four stars. though there are many characters, food is the big star and everyone else are the pinches of spices and herbs.

message 12: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments WOW! You are really buzzing along! Congratulations! ; )

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I will be stating next bookA Land More Kind Than Home hopefully later this evening. I have to finish read a couple of my magazine subscriptions first.

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I just finished my C book. I give it five stars. It has strong writing and is very emotional. The book can be hard to read in places because of subjects it deals with. This book is really worth the read.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49990 comments I have heard that about A Land More Kind Than Home. I have it on my wishlist.

message 16: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I have decided not to readAmazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale, instead I will readThe Language of Flowers.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49990 comments The beauty of this challenge is that you can change your mind. No book choice is carved in stone.

message 18: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Beverly, A Land More Kind Than Home was one of my favorite reads of 2012. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Janice, I am glad it is on your wish list. ; )

message 19: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished my D book.

message 20: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments For my E book. I'm reading The Plague of Doves.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49990 comments Beverly wrote: "For my E book. I'm reading The Plague of Doves."

That book looks intriguing! I may have to add it to my wishlist.

message 22: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Janice wrote: "Beverly wrote: "For my E book. I'm reading The Plague of Doves."

That book looks intriguing! I may have to add it to my wishlist."

This is a very good book. It is well written and the story is moving along.

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I couldn't get intoThe Plague of Dovesso I'm switching toHigh Five. It'll be a easier read after all that reading I did for the February Toppler.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49990 comments Good plan, Beverly. The Topplers can leave you with a bit of a Toppler hangover. :)

message 25: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished High Five and starting The Politics of Barbecue.

message 26: by Beverly (last edited Mar 02, 2013 09:25AM) (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished The Politics of Barbecueand it was one of the most predictable books I've read. I gave it 3 stars but I may be too generous. Starting Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World by Mathew
Goodman.

message 27: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Beverly wrote: "I have decided not to readAmazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale, instead I will readThe Language of Flowers."

I loved Amazing Gracie. What did you think of The Language of Flowers? I'll admit I'm one of the minority that couldn't stand it :) I kept ranting about Victoria and what a horrid person she was.

message 28: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Beverly wrote: "I have decided not to readAmazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale, instead I will readThe Language of Flowers."

I loved Amazing Gracie. What did you think of The Language of Flowers? I'll a..."

I really enjoyed the book. The part about the baby was hard for me to read, but it made since to me. Otherwise I loved it.

message 29: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World. Starting The Thin Man. Eighty Days was not the page turner I expected it to be. There were several places the narrative bogged down and he went out of his way to make Nellie Bly unlikable. Yet there were many chapters where you lose yourself in the joy of the narrative. The pages came alive when described the lands being visited. I gave it 4 stars overall.

message 30: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished the The Thin Man and now I'm going to read a couple of other books not for the challenge.

message 31: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Oh, I love The Thin Manor most anything by Dashiell Hammett. I'm glad you found him, too. : )

You are making fabulous progress, Beverly!

message 32: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Connie wrote: "Oh, I love The Thin Manor most anything by Dashiell Hammett. I'm glad you found him, too. : )

You are making fabulous progress, Beverly!"

Thank you, Connie. I've always liked the Nick and Nora movies, but I never read any of his books.

message 33: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I have always known who Nick and Nora were from the movies, but never that they were from books. I have added Mr. Hammett to my reading list, thanks to you, Beverly and Connie. :)

message 34: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Cherie wrote: "I have always known who Nick and Nora were from the movies, but never that they were from books. I have added Mr. Hammett to my reading list, thanks to you, Beverly and Connie. :)"

Thanks. I've only read the Thin Man. I don't think all his books are Nick and Mora books. He seems to be a good writer.

message 35: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Starting my I book Steve Jobs.

message 36: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments My daughter read the Steve Jobs book. She said it was good.

message 37: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Cherie wrote: "My daughter read the Steve Jobs book. She said it was good."

I've read two other biographies by Issacson and really enjoyed them.

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments He is on my list for someday. :D

message 39: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I finished Steve Jobs. There are many fascinating parts in the book, but for me it was hard to get through because I found I didn't like Jobs.

message 40: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Starting Inmate 1577.

message 41: by Marnie (last edited May 10, 2013 08:14AM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Beverly- you have some books on your list I've never heard of and have added to my TBR. Great list. Inmate 1577 sounds like a thrilling ride- can't wait to read what you think of it.

message 42: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Marnie wrote: "Beverly- you have some books on your list I've never heard of and have added to my TBR. Great list. Inmate 1577 sounds like a thrilling ride- can't wait to read what you think of it."

Inmate 1577 is moving very fast. I'll let you know what I think.

message 43: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished Inmate 1577. It was a mixed read and I would have given it 3 stars except the ending really surprised me, so I'll give it a four.

message 44: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Starting Flight Behavior

message 45: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished Flight Behavior and now I'm reading Turn of Mind.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49990 comments You're doing great on knocking off the books on your list Beverly!

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17561 comments Did you like Flight Behaviour? I've loved the two Barbara Kingsolver's I have read

message 48: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Finished Turn of Mind. Now I'm going to read something light.

message 49: by Beverly (last edited Jun 15, 2013 08:32PM) (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Back from camp and ready to read a book for the alphabet challenge. Going to read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

message 50: by Beverly (last edited Jun 15, 2013 08:40PM) (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Rusalka wrote: "Did you like Flight Behaviour? I've loved the two Barbara Kingsolver's I have read"

Really liked Flight Behavior. Thought it is depressing at times because of the subject matter, but her writing is wonderful. The story held my interest but the ending made me wonder. I didn't really understand it.

« previous 1