Coffee & Books discussion

Old Challenges > January Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Dec 23, 2012 03:06PM) (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
Oh what a beautiful sight this is- Year 2013

Lets kick off the year right with a celebratory challenge! We did the biographical or autobiographical and/or memoir books last January. Since then we have had tons of great books come out that are under that category.

As a celebratory challenge we are going to make the first month a "Biographical/Autobiographical/Memoir" month!

So please:

You may pick one or a million books, as long as you finish it in January. The book(s) you must choose from have to be either a memoir, a biography or an autobiography of someone- maybe an inspiration of yours, an actor you love, someone who recently passed.

The duration of the challenge is from: January 1st to February 1st

Please post if you are joining and also state what biography/autobiography you will be reading for the month!

Enjoy the read you guys, it was a great success last month!

message 3: by Cathie (last edited Dec 23, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

message 4: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 19 comments I also plan on reading A Million Little Pieces. It's been on my bookshelf for far too long!

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 241 comments I will give this one a whirl....must see what I have in this category! :)

message 6: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 05, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) I'm going to read Growing Up Amish: A Memoir finished 6/1/13

message 7: by Kel (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:46PM) (new)

Kel | 66 comments I will go with Seriously...I'm Kidding Completed 01/06/13

message 8: by Ann (last edited Jan 23, 2013 08:57PM) (new)

Ann Jacob | 62 comments I think I will go with Mein Kampf .. I have no idea about this book but still I want to give it a try.
Completed 23/1/13

message 9: by Ciska (last edited Jan 23, 2013 12:17AM) (new)

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 241 comments Ooooohhhhh!! I have A Prague Winter! Thanks for adding it for yourself Ciska! I probably would have forgotten it!

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 135 comments I'm going with Bowie: A Biography. I've had this for years!

message 12: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Great list so far!

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (summerlynn) | 10 comments Life is So Good
by George Dawson and Richard Glaubman

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) Going for something funny. I'll read Bossypants !

message 16: by Sally (last edited Jan 04, 2013 07:00PM) (new)

Sally (salgalruns) | 23 comments Oddly, both books were very "Eat Pray Love" style - both authors were on a quest to find themselves in different ways...hiking or yoga in Bali.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed - FINISHED 1/3/13
Yoga Bitch - FINISHED 1/4/13

Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Yoga Bitch One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison

message 17: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 29, 2012 07:11PM) (new)

message 18: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Feb 01, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 111 commentsSteve Jobs 4 stars 1/31/13

message 19: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 46 comments I finished Life with My Sister Madonna by Christopher Ciccone Life with My Sister Madonna It was ok. 3 stars. It's my trashy, gossip book read for this year, lol.

I am now going to start reading If I Knew Then What I Know Now-- So What? by Steve Delsohn If I Knew Then What I Know Now-- So What?

message 20: by Diana S (new)

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael | 12 comments I have to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for school, and since that fits into this category I'm going to join in on this challenge!

message 22: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (ciska_vander_lans) | 73 comments I am done :)

message 23: by Cathie (last edited Jan 23, 2013 03:10AM) (new)

message 24: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

For those of you that are finished, how did you like your books? What did you learn?

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1211 comments Finished reading French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew by Peter Mayle - 3***
Link to my full review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Won't get to another one ... too many challenges!

message 26: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendelina) I'm going to hurry up and read MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend
I just finished Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever but it wasn't really his whole life story.. so it felt like cheating. :-)

message 27: by Sally (new)

Sally (salgalruns) | 23 comments I read two - Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment and Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. The first one was seriously, very Eat Pray Love - a woman trying to become more zen...humorous in parts, but really didn't have me laughing as much as I had hoped. I gave it 3 stars. I enjoyed the concept behind the second book more and gave that one 4 stars. It totally made me appreciate what serious hikers endure on some of these massive undertakings!!! Wowzers. She was INSANE doing it on her own though.

Overall, I wouldn't do either thing. I'm too fidgety to ever teach yoga (plus, I still find myself giggling at some of the more intense poses), and would never tackle that much of a serious hike - especially alone. I'll stick with day trips instead. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 111 comments Finished Post #18

message 29: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendelina) MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend was a fun read and inspired me to go make some new friends! Insightful and informative.