Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > February 2013 Themed Read - ROMANCE

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments And the February theme is up for nominations. Again, why not try something new.

message 2: by Chris (last edited Dec 26, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Since we have Valentine's Day this month, I'm going to nominate Romance.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Not my usual reading matter, but I'll give it a go. Would you class a Bronte or an Austen as Romance? If so, it'll be a chance to remedy a huge gap in my reading (though I have watched most of the TV and film adaptations!).

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Absolutely! But Chris, nominate your own theme if it's not your cup of tea and let the polls decide. It's not usually mine either, but I seem to have got into a rut with Crime or Fantasy so wanted to nominate something different.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) No, Romance is good for me! I need a challenge, and that's why I like these threads with their opportunities to step outside one's comfort zone, otherwise in my case I'd stick with fantasy and SF and non-fiction.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Any more ideas for February theme, nominations open for 2 extra days

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan Have you had an Action theme recently?

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments No, I don't think so, we can poll it. I'm setting up a poll tomorrow

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Voted:)

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Get ready for a smoochy February, ROMANCE won out on the February theme.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Now, this will be a challenge...not my favourite genre!

message 12: by Chris (last edited Jan 10, 2013 06:12AM) (new)

Chris (calmgrove) I've got Joan Aiken's Jane Fairfax as a possible read, though it hasn't had glowing crits from Austen fans. But I suppose I ought to read Emma first, as Aiken's book is a response to that... Indecision, indecision!

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I'm a bit stuck too, but I might go for the Loop, which I think I nominated elsewhere a month or so back.

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Chris wrote: "I'm a bit stuck too, but I might go for the Loop, which I think I nominated elsewhere a month or so back."

I really liked The Loop!

message 15: by Joan (new)

Joan I am struggling with The Orchid House byLucinda Riley as my romance genre book. Unless it improves fairly quickly I think I'll give up on it!

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments OK folks, we're nearly at the end of our month of the Romance theme, so what do/did you think?
I've managed a few "Romance" themed books, but it's not my favourite genre, and I'll be glad to get back to something with a bit more plot and pace.

message 17: by Joan (new)

Joan I've read one romance but it's definitely not my favourite genre.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Only just got round, finally, to Pride & Prejudice. Late. Sorry.

message 19: by Chris (last edited Mar 06, 2013 10:58AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Romance was the theme for a few other groups I belong to, so I managed;

The Loop
Which I enjoyed and held my interest from start to finish. I loved the descriptions and wild animals and felt the story was well constructed and intelligent
I would happily recommend this book to others

Me Before You
Was very, very girly. BUT I did enjoy it. It tackled the controversy surrounding the right to die following an accident leaving a main character quadriplegic, very well. I'm not selling it well here but it was much better than I expected

The Girl You Left Behind
Was my least favourite of the three! Set in occupied France during 1917 and then to 2007 (I think). Although on the face of it, the story was about a painting, it actually was a romance novel with a big dose of trust issues, betrayal and grieving.