Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > February 2013 Book of the Month - The Sword in the Stone

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments We're overdue (sorry) to nominate books for the February Book of the Month. Please route-out something for the poll for the beginning of January. be as creative as you like; new year, new ideas etc
thanks

message 2: by Chris (last edited Dec 27, 2012 01:25PM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I'm already getting "Merlin" withdrawal symptoms (bbc tv programme for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about), I'd like to nominate The Sword in the Stone, by T.H. White, The Sword in the Stone (The Once and Future King, #1) by T.H. White . This is the first in a series called The Once and Future King.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Oh, I've recently got this from a charity shop (can't put my hands on my old unloved paperback copy of The Once and Future King). Happy to go with this, even though I didn't bother with the Merlin TV series; however, I was told that the final series finale was something special.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Any more ideas for February. nominations open for 2 extra days

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments A nomination from Richard Due Inside the Shadow City, Inside the Shadow City (Kiki Strike,#1) by Kirsten Miller .
Thank you Richard.

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan Is one of the Ann Cleeves Shetland series books an idea. I'm just finishing Raven Black and plan to read others in the series.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Joan, That is definitely a good idea, Let's include Raven Black since it's the first book I think, and I'll include the second White Nights for those who have read it.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Voted:)

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments The Sword in the Stone won the February Book of the Monnth poll

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Thanks Chris. Got to remember where I last saw it...I know it's somewhere in the house!!!

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Thanks, I've got it to hand. Somewhere.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Just downloaded the kindle version The Once and Future King, containing The Sword in the Stone and the next four books about King Arthur's early years.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Yay, I managed to finish The Sword and the Stone on time. It took me a while to get into the style of the writing, but I have to say it was fun, charming and completely enjoyable. I will definitely read the rest of The Once and Future King series. I don't remember reading them as a child, but I must have.

I'm afraid Im in danger of becoming a bit of an Arthurian geek! My favourite version however is John Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights, which is a rewrite of Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table. It's such a shame Steinbeck didn't get to finish it.

We had a couple of other good nominations for february, so I'm going to have a go at Raven Black next, and my Molly bought Richard's suggestion Inside the Shadow City with her xmas book vouchers so I'll have a go at that one too when she's finished it.

How has everyone else done with this months Book of the Month?

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) So sorry, been either away or busy so have not got round to it. But it's still by my bedside...

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments No worries, anytime.