Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > January 2013 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Category #1: Read a book of NZ Poetry

Nominate books below.
I'll accept nominations up until the end of the day Friday 28 December. I'll then set up a poll and this will run until the end of the day Monday 31 December. Sorry for the short timeframes. It has taken me a wee while to get my head around how our new challenges will run. I'll blame it on Christmas!

message 2: by Letizia (new)

Letizia (camilaletizia) | 8 comments She is not from nz but is an amazig writer and poet, margaret Atwood.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Does she write any poems about NZ. If so, we can include her.

message 4: by Letizia (new)

Letizia (camilaletizia) | 8 comments The only 2 novels I have read so far, no. "Oryx & Crake" and "The Year of the Flood".

message 5: by jhldjfau (new)

jhldjfau | 106 comments Glenn Colquhoun... I love that he's a GP by trade (and he's from my hometown too) and a poet by craft. Have read a few individual works but not a whole book. Would love an excuse to buy one! I know he's won quite a few awards, - "playing god" could be a good option.

message 6: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Beauty Sleep by Kate Camp, although I might switch to one of her more recent volumes when I have a chance to look them up.

message 7: by Sweetp-1 (last edited Dec 25, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Deep River Talk by Hone Tuwhare.The anniversary of his death falls in January so seems quite appropriate.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56... Deep River Talk Collected Poems by Hone Tuwhare

message 8: by Angie (last edited Dec 26, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments The Best NZ Poems Series 2011

nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/iiml/bestnzpoems/index.html

Can be read online (some audio as well.)

Sorry, can't figure out how to link it. Any ideas?

message 9: by Lesley (last edited Dec 26, 2012 03:51PM) (new)

Lesley | 1575 comments Angie wrote: "The Best NZ Poems Series 2011

nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/iiml/bestnzpoems...

Can be read online (some audio as well.)

Sorry, can't figure out how to link it. Any ideas?"

This is really meant to be an electronic journal - not one of the best examples nor one of the most exciting, but at least they publish on time which is more than can be said for some other publications of this ilk. However, this is how you work Best NZ Poems.

From this link you pick a year or the audio option from the bar at the bottom and click on that. From the page you are now on click the option "contents" from the bar just under the title banner. All the contents, usually authors, are hyperlinked, so just click on one and you get their poem/s.

Another, and in my opinion (especially from a cataloguer's view) is New Zealand Electronic Poetry Centre. Here you can get a selection of NZ poets works - and much easier to catalogue from when a course writer includes them in courses! This is the link to NZEPC
http://www.nzepc.auckland.ac.nz/

Published poems are best accessed through Digital Poetics, then click on the publications that appear under Chronology of NZ Poetry on the Internet. Eg Blackmail Press has several years issues online and poems can be accessed by clicking on an index item. Hope this is clear, if not let me know.

I have to admit poetry isn't one of my big loves and any interest I have leans towards that in collections for children - love Margaret Mahy's Word Witch and so do the kids. Think it's more the rhyming and rhythm thing with me. It was the same when I was at school and they tried hard to make me love it - though there was the odd Wordsworth I enjoyed.

message 10: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Got Brian Turner on your list of poets?

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments P.d.r. wrote: "Got Brian Turner on your list of poets?"

Choose one of his books and I'll add him for sure. He writes stunning poems about Central Otago. I remember him speaking in my English class when I was at high school.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 137 comments Sam Hunt 'doubtless'
Janet Frame 'the Goose Bath' particularly love Icicles
Lauris Edmond (ed) New Zealand Love Poems
James Brown 'The Year of the Bicycle'
Or
Essential New Zealand Poems - ed Lauris Edmond and Bill Sewell

message 13: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Sorry I missed out there! Am on end of month deadlines for three editors.

Just been to a reading of Turner's latest book, 'Timeless Land'.

Please note, although I can't get the website to do it, I always write my writer's name in lower case letters, i.e. p.d.r. lindsay

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson | 56 comments The Comforter
I love these poems - recommend to anyone

Also how about this as an introduction?
99 Ways into New Zealand Poetry

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Sorry. I should have mentioned that the nomination period had closed. Vote in the poll before the end of today.