Mount TBR 2013 Reading Challenge discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 Books) > Anna attempting Pike's Peak

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna I have a huge mountain of books on my TBR so hopefully this will help me focus on getting some of them read this year.

I'd like to tackle:

Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan

That should get me started.

message 2: by Bev (new)

Bev | 328 comments Mod
Looks like a good plan for the first leg up Pike's Peak. Hope you enjoy The Shadow of the Wind. I really liked it when I read it a while back.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna I have just finished The Shadow of the Wind. I thought the prose was lovely but somehow the story just didn't work for me.

One book done - 11 to go.

message 4: by Bev (new)

Bev | 328 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "I have just finished The Shadow of the Wind. I thought the prose was lovely but somehow the story just didn't work for me.

One book done - 11 to go."

You're on your way!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 108 comments You inspired me to go pull The Shadow of the Wind from the shelf and start reading.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Let me know what you think of it Susan. The writing style is truly lovely.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Just finished: Mary Barton which has been on my TBR for soooo long. Good to have read that one and it was very good too.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 108 comments Anna wrote: "Let me know what you think of it Susan. The writing style is truly lovely."

I agree re the style, and the plot kept me reading, but ultimately, I found this disappointing, Anna. The characters were not really very developed, especially the women, and a lot of the plot depended on no one telling the truth about events, like a death, which are usually not secrets.... That said, it kept me turning the pages to see what happened...

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Anna wrote: "I have just finished The Shadow of the Wind. I thought the prose was lovely but somehow the story just didn't work for me.

One book done - 11 to go."

I felt the same way about this book. It's been years since I read it so I don't remember why exactly, but I remember feeling unsatisfied by it because I had high expectations.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna I've just read The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East. I'm trying to read more non fiction this year.

message 11: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Anna wrote: "Just finished: Mary Barton which has been on my TBR for soooo long. Good to have read that one and it was very good too." I enjoyed it too. The middle bogged down a bit but the ending was good.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Book 5: The White Queen

message 14: by Anna (new)

message 15: by Anna (new)

message 17: by Anna (new)

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Book 10: The Witch

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Book 11: The Amber Heart

message 20: by Anna (new)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

You made it! Congratulations! :-)