Star Trek discussion

star trek relaunch

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 13 comments Star Trek  by Alan Dean Foster The Delta Anomaly (Star Trek Starfleet Academy, #1) by Rick Barba The Edge (Star Trek Starfleet Academy, #2) by Rudy Josephs The Gemini Agent (Star Trek Starfleet Academy, #3) by Rick Barba The Assassination Game (Star Trek Starfleet Academy, #4) by Alan Gratz Star Trek, Vol. 1 by Mike Johnson Star Trek, Vol. 2 by Mike Johnson Star Trek ,Vol. 3 by Mike Johnson Star Trek Into Darkness by Alan Dean Foster

Was wondering how many people are ready the relaunch material and what you think?

message 2: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments Not a fan of the new Trek and the idea that the comic is basically them re-imagining classic episodes bothers me.

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 13 comments I enjoy the new universe it's fun to have established alternate reality other than the mirror universe Glass Empires (Star Trek Mirror Universe) by Mike Sussman Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe) by Margaret Clark Mirror Universe Part 2 Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek the Original Series) by Sarah Shaw The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek Mirror Universe) by David Mack Star Trek Mirror Universe Rise Like Lions  by David Mack Dark Passions #1 of 2 (Star Trek) by Laurie Susan Wright Dark Passions Book Two by Laurie Susan Wright

message 4: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments There is no Star Trek relaunch.

There was a movie in 2009 that called itself Star Trek, but it was not. And there has been some related material published since then, but like the movie, it was not Star Trek.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments Colin wrote: "There is no Star Trek relaunch.

There was a movie in 2009 that called itself Star Trek, but it was not. And there has been some related material published since then, but like the movie, it was n..."

Where's the 'like' button for this thread...?

message 6: by Stefan (new)

Stefan | 2 comments well I actually like the new Star Trek movie in that sense that it was only an alternate universe not the main one... well you know what I mean, but the chance to revive the franscice was wasted... and the newest interview that J.J. never took the fan-base seriously speaks for itself... well there's a lot of awesome st-lit. out there, would have loved some more of the new trek but meanwhile there other great st-stuff out there. check out: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Upcom...

message 7: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 13 comments thanks for the link I love all star trek fiction from the prime universe to the relaunch and including the mirror universe.

message 8: by Stefan (new)

Stefan | 2 comments Timothy wrote: "thanks for the link I love all star trek fiction from the prime universe to the relaunch and including the mirror universe."

you are welcome Tim!

message 9: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments I get the idea that it's an alternate reality; alternate realities have been a staple of Star Trek, and science fiction in general, from the very beginning.

But the 2009 movie changed too much stuff, and many of the changes made absolutely no sense.

And the main thing that I have against the reboot is this: Paramount, by embracing the "alternate timeline" has effectively slammed the door on any future movies or TV shows from the "real" Star Trek timeline. And that makes me sad.

message 10: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments On one hand, it's easy to walk away from new Trek, as it is just some alternate version and I can still enjoy the stuff I like.

But, it still bugs me that if history has been rewritten, it means the only TV show that still 'counts' is 'Enterprise'.
Talk about pouring salt on a wound...

message 11: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 32 comments Colin wrote: "effectively slammed the door on any future movies or TV shows from the "real" Star Trek timeline. And that makes me sad.
"

I agree with you there. I had hoped more more TNG movies. I suppose Nemesis effectively put the cap on that one though.

Arguably if any set of fans could handle multiple storylines ongoing at once...it's Trek fans.

What about the novels though? Is there a plan to discontinue all but the 'rebooted' original series? I hope not.

message 12: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 32 comments Oh and...I still really loved the new 2009 Star Trek movie. But it doesn't replace my love for the old time-lines too.

message 13: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments At the time, I said "It was a fun movie, with lots of really cool action, but it wasn't Star Trek." I still feel that way.

message 14: by Todd (last edited Apr 12, 2013 01:18AM) (new)

Todd (nerdytodd) There are so many relaunch haters in here. I disagree totally. I love it. I am a huge Trekkie, I loved TOS, TNG, ENT, and even DS9 & TAS (still watching VOY). As a huge fan, I don't agree that it is "not star trek" as so many seem to say above. It is totally Star Trek, they just added more action than we are used to seeing. I have some issues with Abrams' overdone action, yes, but I really like the alternate timeline created. In every Mirror-Verse episode across all 6 series' the timeline has always created a darker, skewed version of the Roddenberry reality. I think the reboot was perfect in keeping true to this. If they had tried to just take over the characters from beginning and change stuff I would have hated every second of it, but, they didn't. Anything and everything they do in these new movies is in another Mirror-verse in the making so it makes it ok.

That said, I hate the Uhura casting choice & the Spock/Uhura love interest. It is not unheard of, though, considering the random relationships that the mirror episodes brought us. In DS9 Mirror, Sisko & Dax were together, as were Kira & everyone. In TNG, Warf & Troi were married with two kids. In ENT, Archer & Hoshi were a couple. It is actually very typical for a random coupling in a mirror world. So, though I don't like it, Spock & Uhura aren't completely out of left field. But I don't like her casting either way.

Star Trek Into Darkness comes to theaters in May 2013

message 15: by Todd (new)

Todd (nerdytodd) Travis wrote: "On one hand, it's easy to walk away from new Trek, as it is just some alternate version and I can still enjoy the stuff I like.

But, it still bugs me that if history has been rewritten, it means t..."

I don't agree that it has replaced any of the original tv shows. It is simply offering another alternate timeline like every series had shown us "mirror" episodes of the same. The difference, is that the relaunch is ALL mirror, skewed timeline. I think they can all exist together.

message 16: by Scott (last edited Apr 12, 2013 06:08AM) (new)

Scott (artrobot) Well said Taja! I agree, I like the new and old. I find the "not trek" argument silly. When has the old universe ever been consistent? The movies were always different versions of the TV show. Roddenberry famously didn't like the military turn it took with Star Trek 2. His ideals about the future of humanity were different even when he remade it for TNG. Different writers always brought different takes on trek, some of which I like better than others. It's easiest to hate the latest thing but I agree with Ron Moore in a recent interview that Trek's best in TV form when they have time to deal with the ensemble cast stories that don't necessarily involve the fate of the Federation and a single enemy. I was personally impressed with how much detail they retained from the original show, movies and books.

The alternate timeline has nothing to do with why we won't see more movies with TNG cast. We won't see new next generation movies because the younger cast is making much more money at the box office. However, I think all the details that have been retained in the new universe are proof that the next generation could still exist even if their history is altered. Those are books I would like to read. For the most part, the post Nemesis books got too political for my tastes and retained the war themes I think should have ended with DS9.

As for the JJ universe books, I haven't gotten around to reading them. I guess I was actually looking forward to larger novels set on the Enterprise not Starfleet Academy but I understand that could tread on the new movies.

I have read several of the new comics and they do start out rehashing the old episodes and were too short to actually add anything in the retelling. Like the movie, they felt like abridged versions of the stories they took from. Later issues, though, expanded into multi-issue arcs and introduced more original material. I look forward to reading more. ...also looking forward to the new game. The recent commercial with Shatner and the Gorn made me smile.

message 17: by Todd (new)

Todd (nerdytodd) Scott wrote: "Well said Taja! I agree, I like the new and old. I find the "not trek" argument silly. When has the old universe ever been consistent? The movies were always different versions of the TV show. Rodd..."

I think it would be cool to see any version of Trek back on the small screen. I don't care if it is Alternate Timeline with old characters, or new, or if it is Original Timeline continuation from DS9/VOY days. They could even surprise us with a non federation show and make Klingons or Vulcans the main characters and show us more of their troubles and treks.

Any way around it, to me, the relaunch has actually helped the Star Trek world if we are hoping for it to continue. Whether you like them or hate them, it has introduced many new fans who have since gone back & watched (and loved) many of the original tv shows. I have friends who personally saw none of the Trek world until the relaunch movie and then dove in head first becoming just as obsessed as first generation Trekkies.

I think the relaunch deserves applause for that alone.

message 18: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 13 comments so true :)

message 19: by Jody (new)

Jody | 7 comments I liked Abram's Star Trek and am looking forward to the next one. Is it different than the Original Timeline? Yes. Can you say that it erased everything from the Original Timeline? I guess so. But I've read the OT books and watched the TV series and movies. To me, they still exist. And I still enjoy them. So in that way the OT was not erased by Abram.

To answer the original question: I haven't read the relaunch books yet but I will.

message 20: by Devero (new)

Devero Colin wrote: "There is no Star Trek relaunch.

There was a movie in 2009 that called itself Star Trek, but it was not. And there has been some related material published since then, but like the movie, it was not Star Trek. "

I totally agree with you. And Travis too.

message 21: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 32 comments Comic book fans (and I'd bet there's a good deal of overlap between trekkies and comic book fans) have always been exposed to 'alternate timelines' and revamps and relaunches. A relaunch or reimagining of the story does not diminish or erase the original. It doesn't make me less of a trekkie to love the relaunch, but I continually hear people trying to say that it does. Really?

Personally I love them all. 2009 relaunch, TOS, TNG, VOY, ENT and even the animated series. I've loved all the movies too....even the so called "bad ones". I'm so looking forward to the Seattle Star Trek convention this month that I can't even SEE straight. I only wish I could afford to get down to the Vegas one.

message 22: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 32 comments Oh but we're talking about the books here. I haven't read any yet, but I likely will soon. I'm not much into star trek comics though. Even though I did collect the TNG ones for a while, they were only "okay", so I don't find myself inclined to pick up ST comics. *shrugs* Novels, though. I'll be all over those.

message 23: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 12 comments Leslie (message 21) is SO correct. I can like any and all sorts of STAR TREK! I can like the re-launch and still be a fan of the original series. and TNG and the Animated series and everything else.

message 24: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments Star Trek often featured action, but that was never its primary focus. It sometimes made us laugh, but humor was definitely not its primary focus. Star Trek was a thoughtful, thought-provoking vehicle for exploring issues that matter to adults. It appealed to the adult in all of us while simultaneously encouraging us to retain a child-like sense of wonder at the amazing beauty of the universe, and of the universality of the human condition. You may recall that when the original series pilot was first released, one of the complaints against it was that it was "too cerebral" for a mainstream audience. And that complaint was undeniably true, as evidenced by the fact that the show was cancelled after three seasons. But that was alright, because it was never intended for a "mainstream audience". The people who became Star Trek fans were looking for something more "cerebral" than what was currently available.

Compare that to Abrams' movies. No one is ever going to complain that they are "too cerebral". The 2009 movie was, in essence, an action-comedy, aimed at the same audience who love The Hangover and Jackass.

The movie industry is called an "industry" for a reason. Paramount is a business, and they are there to make money. There are a lot of young kids out there who like mindless action movies. In fact, there are a lot more of them than there are Star Trek fans. And Abrams' movies are made for them, not for Star Trek fans.

message 25: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 32 comments While I agree that Abrams movie is nowhere near as thought provoking as tho Original Series, I hardly think that it compares so readily to Jackass or The Hangover. This just sounds like unnecessary hyperbole.

message 26: by Devero (new)

Devero Leslie wrote: "While I agree that Abrams movie is nowhere near as thought provoking as tho Original Series, I hardly think that it compares so readily to Jackass or The Hangover. This just sounds like unnecessar..."

No, it's a real comparison, not an unnecessary hyperbole.

message 27: by Jody (new)

Jody | 7 comments While I agree with what is being said about the the Original Series being thought provoking and cerebral, hardly the same can be said for the other Star Trek movies. Abrams' ST movies are much closer (in action and comedy content) to the other movies than the other movies are to Original Series (except maybe for ST: The Motion Picture).

message 28: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 32 comments Devero wrote: "No, it's a real comparison, not an unnecessary hyperbole.
..."

It may be a comparison. It's not a good or accurate one. It is an extremely exaggerated comparison used for emphasis or effect, therefore = hyperbolic.

message 29: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments I apologize to everyone here to whom I may have seemed condescending or rude; that was never my intention.

The fact that you and I feel differently about a piece of fiction does not mean that I am more intelligent than you, or that you have less of an understanding of the genre than I do. It just means we like different things.

The (to me) "real" Star Trek has always had, and will always have, a special place in my heart and, in my opinion, Paramount and Abrams did a tremendous disservice, if not to the entire Star Trek fan base, at least to those who feel the way I do.

In my mind, the Abrams movies are not Star Trek, and I will never be able to call them that, but the fact that you disagree does not make us enemies.

message 30: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 32 comments I don't think that there's any need for you to apologize Colin. You have every right to your opinion and your likes and dislikes. Even I, as much as I like the relaunch movies, would not express my fanhood with them. For example, if I were going to cosplay Star Trek, it would always be the Original Series and Never the reboot. :)

message 31: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 6 comments I am interested in giving all things star trek a try including new ideas/launches. I don't think any fan should try to discourage other fans because they don't like the idea. Adapting is cool guys. PEACE <3

message 32: by James (new)

James Hi All,
I just joined this group and, to answer the OP's question - I have read all four of the Starfleet Academy books to date and have enjoyed them. Sure, they are written for a younger audience, and because they take place at the academy they are different than what you expect with Star Trek.. but they are fun. I have also read the Star Trek: Countdown graphic and the Countdown to Darkness graphic - both are pretty good. Regarding the "is the reboot really Star Trek" tangent - I respect the argument that it is not... but disagree. Star Trek (2009) is one of my favorite movies.

message 33: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments I could deal with the relaunch if they had just done a straightforward 'we are starting over'.
It's the weak changing history and wanting it both ways that really turned me off it.
You can't announce 'This ain't your father's Trek!', and then use your father's Spock as a major plot point.

If it's getting new fans into Trek cool, and I feel bad that with Abrams doing Star Wars the fate of Nu Trek is in limbo, but I'm happy to walk away and stick with the old stuff.

message 34: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments What I wish is that Paramount would say "OK, we're done with 'alternate reality' Trek. For the next movie we're going back to the original Trek universe."

That's not going to happen of course (unless I suddenly develop Q-like powers). But it would be awesome.

message 35: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments Sounds nice, probably never going to happen.
but on the bright side the books and comics are keeping both universes.

message 36: by Timothy (last edited Oct 29, 2014 08:11PM) (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 13 comments I would love to see a hole movie in the mirror universe :)

message 37: by Henry (new)

Henry | 1 comments Timothy wrote: "I would love to see a hole movie in the mirror universe :)"
That would be cool, some Terran Empire/Klingon action...

Don't get your hopes up though.

message 38: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilysawyer) | 54 comments I've been reading some ST novels that I wished the author had written for the ST movies. Greg Cox is one of them.

I have my doubts that ST Beyond will be anything more than action packed. TOS appeal to me was it was about the characters and how much they cared about one another. Kirk and Spock and McCoy for example. I love Kirk and Spock's friendship, despite their differences you could see they loved each other like brothers.

message 39: by Lily (last edited May 22, 2016 08:28AM) (new)

Lily (lilysawyer) | 54 comments Colin wrote: "What I wish is that Paramount would say "OK, we're done with 'alternate reality' Trek. For the next movie we're going back to the original Trek universe."

That's not going to happen of course (unl..."

That would be nice, but no one can replace Nimoy, Shatner and Kelley's (or the rest of the original casts) performances in the roles they created. But I will say that Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto have given Kirk and Spock a new identity that I am giving a chance to grow on me.

message 40: by Liverwurst12 (new)

Liverwurst12 | 1 comments Lily wrote: "Colin wrote: "What I wish is that Paramount would say "OK, we're done with 'alternate reality' Trek. For the next movie we're going back to the original Trek universe."

That's not going to happen ..."

No, the original cast members can never be replaced. None of them. However, I am enjoying the Paramount movies and will continue to go see them. Making a Star Trek movie is a daunting task, you've got to appease older fans while bringing in new fans. Which means you've got to "update" the Star Trek universe. Us older fans will always go to see Star Trek, but we won't be here some day and it will up to newer and younger fans to keep the franchise alive.

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 3 comments I am with Trevor in message 33 in that if you are going to reboot the series, then do it. You really should not use one of the main characters from TOS to make appearances in the rebooted version movies and have dialog with his younger alternate self. It just really detracts from the whole idea of rebooting the series. It seemed that Abrams really isn't sure what he wants. I also heard a while ago that Simon Pegg had written a script for one of the reboot movies and Abrams thought it was too Star Trek-y, so he had to rewrite it. I just don't get the thinking on that one.