Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Members > Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,080 (2080 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 41 42

message 1: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Introduce yourself here! Let us know what you do, the things you love, or your favorite book/genre.

message 2: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (ciska_vander_lans) Owww introductions... :D well. My name is Ciska, born in 1980 and I am living in the Netherlands.
I work as a software engineer and in my free time I love to bake/cook, visit binturongs in the zoo and read obviously.
I prefer detective/mysteries and historical fiction but can be caught with a lot of genres and books as long as synopsis/cover combination fool me enough to pick it up. Therefore I do 1 star reviews occasionally.

message 3: by Nicolette (last edited Dec 23, 2012 06:05PM) (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Hello friends! :)
My name is Nicolette. I'm a senior English and Education major at a University in Iowa. I'm married to probably the coolest guy in the world and I adore him more than anything in the world. I love to read and I consider myself to be a book collector. One of my life long dreams is to own either a used book store or run a personal library. I am especially found of literary fiction, but I really love all sorts of genres.

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2051 comments Mod
Hello,

My name is Vanessa. I'm from the South in France (Aix-en-Provence) and I live in Paris. I'm an entrepreneur so I always work on many different projects at once. Intense and interesting. :)

Apart from the obvious (reading), I love to cook, I'm addicted to tv series, sudoku & goodreads and I like to train. Voilà!

message 5: by Mariska (new)

Mariska Hello!

My name is Mariska, born in the Netherlands and currently living in Wheaton (close to Chicago) while I work as an au pair. Always loved to read but since I moved to the USA I stopped watching tv and began to read even more. Don't have a favorite genre, tend to keep it to 1 genre for months and then suddenly change and read another genre for a couple of months :) Never joined a group like this before and really excited to know I'm gonna be reading the same books with all of you around the same time and be able to discuss it later.

message 6: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Wow! I love how much diversity we have going on in this group already! It so good to see people from all over the world sharing something in common.

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri | 2 comments Hi my name is Terri and I live in East Lansing MI. New to Good Reads and IM groups in general. So please excuse my learning process :)

My main reading focus has been Sci-Fi/fantasy novels and short stories. Looking forward to expanding my horizons here and discussing our books!

message 8: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Sounds great Terri! I'm on a sci-fi kick right now.

message 9: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen Hello Everyone! My name is Cathleen and I live in Virginia where I have a teenage daughter and teach kindergarten. Since I was a kid, I have loved to read (BA in English) and am beginning to enjoy cooking for the first time in my life. In 2012 I began the Goodreads Book Challenge and met my goal of reading 2 books/month. About a week ago I finished Gone Girl so I am ready for the first discussion and I am looking forward to reading and discussing books with you!

message 10: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) It seems like quite a few people have already read Gone Girl just like you have, Cathleen! I'm waiting for my copy to come in the mail. Hopefully it will be here Friday. I can't wait to join all of you who have it on your "read" shelf!

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie Freeze Hi Everyone, My name is Marie. I live in Winston Salem NC with my husband, a dog and a cat. We have 3 kids all either in college or working. I enjoy gardening, running, and of course reading. I hope I can find time for this book club, it sounds fun!

message 12: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) it's good to have you Marie!

message 13: by Missy (new)

Missy Williams | 1 comments My name is Missy, I live in northern Indiana with my husband and daughter. I currently take care of my 99 year old grandfather. My grandfather is not like any other 99 year old person. He plays cards, writes articles for the local newspaper, and lives home alone. Between my grandfather and my family I keep busy.
I love to escape into another world through reading in my spare time.

message 14: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Missy wrote: "My name is Missy, I live in northern Indiana with my husband and daughter. I currently take care of my 99 year old grandfather. My grandfather is not like any other 99 year old person. He plays c..."

Hi Missy :-). Your grandfather sounds delightful. You are so lucky to have him :-).Thank you for sharing this ~ it's put a big smile on my face :-)

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyhop) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Tracey. I am new to groups but this looks like a good and diverse one to join. I live in Western Australia, have 3 boys, work full time and read whenever I can. I've already read Gone Girl but haven't read poetry since school, so I'm looking forward to something new.

message 16: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Tracey! :-).

We are also starting The Lost Hero The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan tomorrow (January 19th). It is our series read< Heroes of Olympus leading up to our March Book of the Month

message 17: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Chew This looks like a great group! My name is TJ. I'm originally from Nebraska but love living in the south and have made a home in Greenville, SC. I have a very diverse interest in reading. There isn't a genre that I dislike. These days most of my free time is spent with a book in my hands! :) I have become a total Goodreads addict. I look forward to the books this club reads monthly and the discussion that goes with it. Happy reading!

message 18: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hi Tricia :-). Me too, a total Goodreads addict, lol. Welcome to the group!

message 19: by Mya (new)

Mya A (mayochka) Hi this is Maya living in the UK, originally from Yemen (I'm not a terrorist I swear) and I actually have another account but I started this account for my blog, and I haven't got any friends yet on it, so feel free to add me :). If there's something I love better than books, it's talking about them. I can't wait for the group reads, I like taking chances on books.

message 20: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hi Mya, the NOT terrorist, lol. Welcome!

We'll be starting our series read The Lost Hero The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan on January 19th :-).
You can find the discussion for this book under the Series Folder at the bottom.

The group is also reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver as our Book of the Months for January and there are discussion threads/folders on these books too :-)

message 21: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Chew Gone Girl is the book for February book club that I attend. I can't wait to read it!

message 22: by Monica (new)

Monica Gutierrez (monicamke) | 1 comments Excited to join this group, I'm a fan of all genres except for horror. I'm an "army wife" living in NC soon to be in CO. But originally on from Milwaukee, Wi (LOVE my hometown!) . I have a mini lab doggie that rocks, and am a bit of a nerd. I have a pro comm degree from Alverno college and 3 post grads from Alverno and U of San Fran in marketing/advertising and photography. I read mostly on my kindle love to highlight ... But there is something about a paper book that is really satisfying to read:P. I'm currently in the middle of 2 books - shades of earth by Beth Revis and Genesis and the Big Bang an amazing physics based book that I admit may take me a long while ... Lol.

message 23: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments When you finish reading Gone Girl, Tricia, let us know what you think of it in the discussion thread Nicolette's set up. Get ready for an exciting read! :-)

Welcome Monica :-). Your reads sound interesting :-)

message 24: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hello, my name is Tanya and I work as a teen/adult librarian. Joined this group so I can read some good books and be able to make recommendations to patrons. Just finished Fault in Our Stars and loved it. Was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for strong female characters in the science fiction genre?

message 25: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Tanya! :-). You might want to look at the link posted in Annoucements regarding John Green, author of Fault In Our Stars.

message 26: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Hi, I'm Joanne and last weekend I decided to read the winners of the Goodreads Awards, I just saw this group and thought it would be perfect to join! I read Gone Girl last weekend and was just looking for my next read. :)

message 27: by Cathie (last edited Jan 19, 2013 05:42AM) (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Joanne...that's serendipity, that is! We are starting The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan today as part of group series read.
We'll be reading this one, then the 2nd book in the series, The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan in February, which will lead us right into our Book of the Month for March which is The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan

Head over to the discussion folder for Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and join in :-)

message 28: by Carla (new)

Carla (skyemonet) | 1 comments Hi everyone my name is Carla. I am happy to be joining this group, I hope to receive a lot of good recommendations to read. I'm an avid reader and I love all different genres. I also have the best job in the world for reading, I work in a public library. It's the best way to obtain all the books you like to read plus it's free.

message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda | 67 comments Hi! My name is Linda And I'm a book-a-holic. I am glad to be joininig a group that reads a variety of books and have recommendations from fellow readers. I have read Gone Girl, so I am striking out and reading "The Homecoming of Samuel Lake", a book I came upon browsing B&N. So far very good.

message 30: by Judy (new)

Judy Evenson Hi Everybody! My name is Judy and I live in Minnesota in the summer and winter in Arizona - the best of both worlds! I was an avid reader as a kid but time/work and life got me involved in many other things so the books were set aside for many years. However, now that I'm retired (semi) I am loving that I have time to return to my early love of reading. I joined this group because I recently read Gone Girl and found myself rather intrigued by the characters and how much my attitude changed about both of them as more was revealed of their "true" selves.

message 31: by Mariam (new)

Mariam Gallier hi my name is mariam, i am 17 years old, my birtday is on june 6. I really enjoy reading. My only problem would be that sometimes whe a book gets a little boring in the middle i wont be able to finish it even when i try. That has happened with 2 books. I liked all the books i have finihed reading such as i hunt killers, shadow and bone, girl stolen, etc

message 32: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome everyone! Wahoooo, we're growing strong. I think I'm going to start a thread that's about what you're reading now because we are all just such good sharers :-).

message 33: by Connie (new)

Connie Albrecht | 1 comments hello! My name is Connie and I live very close to Wheaton near Chicago IL. I love to read and already own more books than I will be able to read in my lifetime, but I am always looking for more books to read. We recently started a family book club, but I wanted to give this a try. I am always looking for suggestions of new books to read. I read all types of books, but seem to stick with historical fiction.

message 34: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Connie :-). I love your line..."I love to read and already own more books that I will be able to read in my lifetime". haha, you's sounds like my kind of people :-).

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann (hammiam) Hi,

My name is Ann and I'm from Ontario, Canada. I'm a Library Tech and work in a high school library and I use Good Reads to help keep my library shelves current and interesting. My goal for this year is to read 55 books because, although I often recommend books to read, I find that I don't sit down to read as often as I would like to. I've read Gone Girl but enjoyed it so much that I gave it to 4 different people for Christmas. I just finished reading The Gunslinger and sat down this morning to browse Good Reads for inspiration. Guess I'm off to find A Casual Vacancy!

message 36: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Ann :-). I hail from Ontario, Canada too; it's nice to see a neighbor :-).

Our series read Heroes of Olympus is listed as being for middle graders but originally the first book, Lost Hero, was published under young adult section.

I'm looking forward to your shares Ann :-)

message 37: by Whitney (new)

Whitney My name is Whitney and I live in Pennsylvania with my wife and our two young sons. I work as a history teacher and dorm head at a Quaker boarding school. I am new to Goodreads and this is the first group I've joined. I've been wanting to read more books in different genres, so this seemed like a good starting place. Mary Oliver is one of my favorite authors and Gone Girl has been on my list to read for a while. So I'm excited to get started!

message 38: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Whitney! :-) So glad you chose us to be your first Goodreads group. We play very nice :-). I loved Mary Oliver's A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver . I open it frequently when I want a quiet reflective read and to remember the good things in life.

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Harvey (betttt) | 2 comments My name is Bet and I live in New Brunswick, Canada ~ about sixy miles from the border with the state of Maine (to help with geography). I am an avid reader and joined this group to take advantage of other people's reading suggestions and tastes. I belong to a face-to-face book club too. I'm looking forward to the exchange of ideas and opinions.

message 40: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Good afternoon from Banning, Ca (near Palm Springs)
I am anxious to read all the Choice award books on my shelves.
I listen to a book in the morning while I catch up with the groups and amazon / audible news.
I look forward to all the great book discussions.

message 41: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Elizabeth and Shirley :-). I'm so glad you both joined our group! :-)

message 42: by Sara (new)

Sara | 10 comments Hello! My name is Sara and I live in Pennsylvania. The reason I decided to join his group is because the books resemble the types of books I like to read myself. I really like series-type books and I just begun the Percy Jackson series (on the second book now). I love suggestions on new books to read and I look forward to new ideas!

message 43: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome to our Group Sara :-). When you get down reading the Percy Jackson series join us in reading the Heroes of Olympus series :-).

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello! My name is Cathy and I live in Alabama, in the northern part of the state, about 5 to 10 miles from the Tennessee state line. I'm an artist who loves to read, watch TV (Netflix addict) and knit. I read every night.

I joined this group because nearly every book on the list is a book I'd like to read. I'm looking forward to the discussions.

message 45: by Bobby (new)

Bobby (bobbej) Hi. I'm Bobby J and I live in Scottsdale, Az. I live here with my wife and 3 adopted daughters from China. We also have 3 biological kids that are grown and in their 30's. I am an avid reader and just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons . I saw you had Gone Girl on your list so knew this was a group for me.

message 46: by Patty (new)

Patty | 1 comments Hi Group! I'm very glad to join you! My name is Patty. I live in a small town in south central New Mexico. For 35 years I worked with middle schoolers, first as a history teacher, then the last 12 were spent as a middle school librarian. I miss keeping up with what's new in print and discussing those books. I've already read Gone Girl and am now reading The Bronze Horseman. I look forward to visiting with you all.

message 47: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Cathy, Bobby and Patty :-)

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara | 10 comments Cathie wrote: "Welcome to our Group Sara :-). When you get down reading the Percy Jackson series join us in reading the Heroes of Olympus series :-)."

I definitely will!

message 49: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Isabella!

message 50: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Cathy wrote: "Hello! My name is Cathy and I live in Alabama, in the northern part of the state, about 5 to 10 miles from the Tennessee state line. I'm an artist who loves to read, watch TV (Netflix addict) and ..."

Hi Cathy! I love to knit too and love to read about knitting and knit while I read. I love having a Kindle because it makes reading and knitting at the same time easier.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 41 42