What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > scifi: YA kids in underground (post bomb?) society find their way to the surface (NOT City of Ember)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments Probably read it in the 80s. However, it was much likely much older than that (I had access to a bunch of ancient books). I believe it was in a textbook, so it was only a section of the story.

Society wasn't collapsing like City of Ember. But it was a boy and a girl doing the exploring together. Don't recall anything like the mystery that City of Ember had with clues to enable people to get out.

It was more along the lines of, "It's forbidden to go to the surface, and you will die if you do" (Thinking about it now, I don't know why our protags choose to do this deadly thing - baffles me and I don't know how I missed that logical plot-hole when I was younger... so maybe this is a figment of my imagination? Or maybe I was young and it was badly written?)

Different than Ember, they walked out. It was a cave-type exit, no boats/water prelude (iirc).

The excerpt that I had access to ended as they discovered the sunlit world. But it was made clear in the intro text that this was just a section of the other (I assume published/semi-successful) work.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Hey Just--was this a YA by any chance? I have one in my pile-o-books that was somewhat like this. Will see if I can find it tomorrow (it's too late to look tonight, but I WILL TRY to remember to check for it tomorrow. If I don't post one way or the other, send me another tell.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Maybe This Time of Darkness? It was published in 1982 I think.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments I would've thought that was too late... but that description looks quite plausible. I shall have to locate a copy. Thanks.

( tentatively solved, but sure add your suggestions :D )

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments This is actually a fairly common plot for YA sci fi, as it turns out. Here's another suggestion, if that one is too late, this one was published in the 1960s:

The City Under Ground

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess | 439 comments Could it have been I Feel Like the Morning Star - here is a link to Amazon.com that has a plot summary and the cover I remember as a kid. It was published in 1989, so it might be too recent for what you are remembering.
http://www.amazon.com/I-feel-like-Mor...

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37834 comments Mod
Justanotherbiblophile, are you ready to move this from Possibly Solved to Solved? Did you think it was "This Time of Darkness"?

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments Haven't gotten the book yet, but put it in the "to buy" list. I really need to find some time to hang out at the library and do interlibrary loan stuff.

message 9: by Simon (new)

Simon | 4 comments Sounds like it could be Dark Universe by Daniel F. Galouye

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33505 comments Mod
Dark Universe by Daniel F. Galouye - Simon's suggestion

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela Johnson | 77 comments Logan's Run- William F. Nolan/ George Clayton Johnson

"It's the 23rd Century and at age 21... your life is over! Logan-6 has been trained to kill; born and bred from conception to be the best of the best. But his time is short and before his life ends he's got one final mission: Find and destroy Sanctuary, a fabled haven for those that chose to defy the system. But when Logan meets and falls in love with Jessica, he begins to question the very system he swore to protect and soon they're both running for their lives. When Last Day comes, will you lie down and die... or run! " Yes...'That' Logan's Run (of the movie fame)...in the end they emerge from a cave and see the sun for the first time. It's a series...LR is the first in it.

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4999 comments Was it Logan's Run, Jab?

message 13: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Mar 01, 2019 03:28PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1685 comments Rosa wrote: "Was it Logan's Run, Jab?"

I doubt it. In Logan's Run The Movie, everyone lives in domes, but this was not the case in the novel Logan's Run; people go outside like normal.

message 14: by Heather (last edited Mar 02, 2019 03:25PM) (new)

Heather | 13 comments FYI in Logan's Run the book, people go outside and roam the entire earth like an amusement park. The movie has very little in common with the book. Sorry, I just realized someone just wrote the same thing.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Check out Time of the Great Freeze by Robert Silverberg.

message 16: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4999 comments Time of the Great Freeze for the link.

message 17: by Linzorg (new)

Linzorg (lizorg) | 5 comments Wool? It's a whole society though, not just kids.

message 18: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments Did you ever definitively figure out if This Time of Darkness was your book?