Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Horror musicals??

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.V. (new)

K.V. Witten | 10 comments (Sorry, I know this isn't 'movies or television' but I couldn't find a better folder to put this in.)

Has anyone here seen or can recommend any 'horror' musicals?

I realize that the definition of 'horror musical' might vary from person to person but here are some I put into that category...

'Tanz der Vampire' : German (absolutely the best but not to be confused with the horrible American 'Dance of the Vampire'). No official dvds available, single- and double-cds available through Amazon.

'Phantom of the Opera' : English. The 25th anniversary production in the Royal Albert Hall dvd is spectacular. 'Love Never Dies' is a sequel and a dvd of the Australian production is available - also wonderful.

'Dracula' : German - love the cd, no dvd legally avaiable. There is an English cd available but it's significantly shorter (45 minutes instead of the German version's 75 minutes).

'Dracula' : French-Canadian - official dvd can be found on Amazon but not the cd. The dvd is in French with no sub-titles but you can follow along anyway. Very interesting.

'Jekyll & Hyde' : English/German - English and German cds available, I prefer the German because of the singer playing 'Jekyll/Hyde'.

'Sweeney Todd' : English. I don't know of any available dvds/cds of the stage show though the movie is widely available.

I've also heard of but don't know anything about 'Addams Family' and 'Lestat'. Any comments??

message 2: by Ardy (new)

Ardy Ardy (ardybooks) | 1657 comments As far as movies go, the original Wicker Man was a musical. Though it wasn't the typical musical where people would just randomly burst into song, it was considered a musical by its makers and it had numerous songs and musical numbers in it.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 330 comments Hi,
There is a concert version of "Sweeney Todd" with Patty LuPone and George Hearn on DVD that is a lot of fun and a "staged" version with some of the original Broadway cast reprising their performances. I saw the original Broadway production in 1979... one of the greatest musicals I've had the pleasure to see ! (You might want to check Amazon for those performance DVDs.)

message 4: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1638 comments My favorite -- Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Others I've enjoyed:

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
Scrooge (1970)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Some I didn't really enjoy:

Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
Shock Treatment (1981)

Some I haven't seen:

Don't Go in the Woods (2010)
Cannibal! The Musical (1993)
Eat Me: A Zombie Musical (2009)
The Devil's Carnival (2012)
Mr. Bricks: A Heavy Metal Murder Musical (2011)

message 5: by K.V. (last edited Dec 24, 2012 10:35AM) (new)

K.V. Witten | 10 comments Ardy - I'm not sure what you mean when you say the original 'Wicker Man'. I've seen the movie with Christopher Lee but it's been a while. Are you speaking of that or something else?

Bob - I will be going to Germany in a couple of weeks and will be seeing 'Sweeney Todd' on stage in Magdeburg. I'm really looking forward to it. Kevin Tarte is playing 'Sweeney' and he seems like he would be perfect for the role. (Besides, he's a nice guy and very pleasant to his fans.)

Am I correct that 'Sweeney' was originally a stage musical first and was later made into a movie musical (the one with Mr. Depp)? And thanks for pointing out the stage musical's availablity, I didn't know about it.

Randy - was 'Phantom of the Paradise' ever a stage musical? I saw the movie once, years ago - I'll have to check it out again.

I'd forgotten about 'Little Shop of Horrors'. I saw that years and years ago off-Broadway during it's original run. And was 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' first a movie or a stage show?? I saw the movie numerous times while I was in college - yup, the whole midnight shows and dressing up (a good friend was a great 'Frankenfurter'). And I almost got to see a staged production a couple of months ago but couldn't get out of work.

message 6: by Ardy (new)

Ardy Ardy (ardybooks) | 1657 comments There was the original with Christopher Lee and the remake that came out a few years back with Nicholas Cage. Some critics panned it, but I thought it was pretty good. No songs though. What I hated about it was the fact that even though I have never liked Cage and pretty much hated every character I've seen him play, this guy I actually liked, and in the end... well, let's just say it was the first time I felt sorry for the guy.

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1638 comments I was just thinking movies, not stage musicals...

message 8: by K.V. (new)

K.V. Witten | 10 comments Randy wrote: "I was just thinking movies, not stage musicals..."

That's fine, I didn't specify (though I guess I should in the future). I just want to make sure so I know what I'm looking for. I'm going to check out the ones you mentioned that you haven't seen - several look interesting.

I'm not sure whether or not I like 'Repo: the Genetic Opera'. I suspect it would grow on me if I see it again. The first time through, I just thought it was strange (although Anthony Stewart Head has a much better voice than I expected).

Ardy - I've seen both versions of 'The Wicker Man' but I didn't remember the music in the original one. I'll have to check it out again.

message 9: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown Ardy wrote: "As far as movies go, the original Wicker Man was a musical. Though it wasn't the typical musical where people would just randomly burst into song, it was considered a musical by its makers and it h..."

If only the original idea of making it a musical had seen the light of day!

message 10: by Ardy (new)

Ardy Ardy (ardybooks) | 1657 comments Would have been much more interesting, but there are times when I watch a musical and the musical numbers seem forced and oddly placed. The few songs that they did put into the original Wicker Man were done so well that it was hardly noticable. The song in the tavern was just an elaborate drinking song, the one that the girls sang around the maypole made perfect sense, and even Christopher Lee got to sing.

message 11: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 514 comments Randy, how could you not enjoy Repo!? Oh wait, it was Paris, wasn't it? Ha ha. Horror musicals are pretty great to watch, but I do enjoy Phantom of the Paradise, Repo!( yep, I love it), Sweeny Todd (that ending with the furnace....perfection) and I'm adding The Devil's Carnival. I am forever an Emilie Autumn fan and when I saw she was cast, I had to watch. The story might get a little confusing at times, but overall it's good.

message 12: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments I love Repo the genetic opera, Sweeny Todd, Phantom of the Opera.

message 13: by Squire (last edited Jun 29, 2013 08:51AM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments Glad someone mentioned Phantom of the Paradise. I'm also a big fan of Gory Gory hallelujah!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Freddy Does Jason is a great x-rated horror musical.

message 15: by Rob (new)

Rob | 112 comments I saw The Evil Dead musical in Toronto Canada, and it was probably the single most fun musical I have ever seen. We sat in the splatter section and of course we were covered in blood by the end. My wife came with me, who hates horror movies, and even she loved it!

I'm hoping to catch the Re-Animator musical but its a harder one to find.

message 16: by Ron (new)

Ron | 373 comments Ohhhh...if you're in the mood for some good old fashioned awfulness, there's some crap (and I do mean crap) from the '80 and early '90's that's so bad its worth watching:

'Rock 'n Roll Nightmare' stars a guy called 'Thor' who was briefly not famous (in any sense at all) in Canada...yet he made a movie with his band...and puppets...the worst thing ever put on celluloid.

I don't know if 'Shock 'em Dead' is technically a musical (or a movie for that matter)...but its about a bad guitar player who sells his soul to become...a bad guitar player...notably 'Michael Angelo' - a real life fella who thought it would be a good idea to play two necks at once...all the time...in harmony. Late '80's cheese run amok.

Carmine Appice was also in a film, but I decided that I didn't want *that* on my conscience...someone else will have to face the madness.

On the other hand; musical horror goodness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VgLK...

message 17: by Holly (last edited Jul 26, 2013 07:26AM) (new)

Holly (goldikova) I detest all musicals equally; they all horrify me. I live in fear of being forced to sit through "The Sound of Music" or "Grease".

message 18: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
I don't mind horror musicals at all. as long as they are good. my favorite musicals are: Repo! the genetic opera, rocky horror, across the universe, nightmare before Christmas, hairspray, Moulin rogue..suck(it's about vampires. just called suck not vampires suck). I like musicals as long as they are good.

message 19: by James (new)

James | 168 comments I'm dying (no pun intended) to see a production of THE EVIL DEAD: THE MUSICAL, if it would ever come around these parts. Sounds like a helluva time.

message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan (TheGreatBeast) There`s a newer movie called Chillerama that is an anthology piece, with one musical segment call ed I Was a Teenage Werebear, I must warn you though it is really gay and really funny. A second segment called The Diary of Anne Frankenstein also sports Hitler singing.