Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
People Archive > Emz's writing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments Hellooo! I am 11 and year six from England!!!!
I will be posting some writing and play scripts soon, tell me what you think!

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments Oh, can someone help me find a name for my new charrie? Go to group "struggling writers", in category "characters". It is called "Please, can somebody help me find a good name for my character?"
Hope you can help. Please do!!

xxxx

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I'm too lazy to go on this journey to another group, so I'll just ask you here.

Tell me about the character. Also, which genre are you writing in? Thanks!

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments She has auburn hair down to her elbows. Her eyes are grey green. She is eleven, but in year seven. Her dad has just shoved off to the other side of the world with his new girlfriend. Her mum and her mums new boyfriend are having a baby, so she is packed off to a posh boarding school down south. She is troubled. She has no friends, and because of trouble at home, she keeps getting into trouble at school. The teachers shout at her. Everyone hates her. She is a truly nice girl, just no one gives her a chance.
This is a poem that I find describes her well:
She comes across as strong, but maybe she fell asleep crying.
She acts like nothing is wrong; maybe she's just good at lying.
"Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I am not perfect - though people wish that of me. So before you start pointing fingers, get some information about me."

I had to change it a bit to fit her better.
Hope you can help!

I'm not sure what genre I'm writing in, it's more real life but I don't think that's a genre.

Writingthefuture xxx

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor For a female, I would obviously pick a girl's name.

You say that she is strong, so I would pick a short, one- or two-syllable name, which can convey a sort of bluntness.

However, her peers see her as weak, so I would personally choose a two-syllable name with the accent on the second syllable. For example, Charisse.

It's all in the sound. Pick a name that sounds weak but has power behind it. Say a bunch of names aloud.

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @Timothy
Wow, you know your stuff! Thanks very very much!!

Elliott Alicia  | 22636 comments Mod
Writingthefuture wrote: "Oh, can someone help me find a name for my new charrie? Go to group "struggling writers", in category "characters". It is called "Please, can somebody help me find a good name for my character?"
Ho..."

Oh my gosh, the word "charrie." *dies of nostalgia*

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Wtf

((What should we call you? That's a messed up acronym.))

I am also six years older than you. :) But I have done a lot of study on names and the connotations assigned to them by society. I particularly enjoyed one set of lists that I found that gave suggestions for certain character stereotypes. Britney for a cheerleader, for example. (That's an American connotation. Don't know if it's the same for Great Britain).

RAAAAAAAMBLE.

message 9: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Lav [time is moving like a dream] wrote: "Writingthefuture wrote: "Oh, can someone help me find a name for my new charrie? Go to group "struggling writers", in category "characters". It is called "Please, can somebody help me find a good n..."

I know, right. <3

message 10: by Hope (last edited Dec 25, 2012 03:16PM) (new)

Hope Timothy [Grammar Führer] wrote: "@Wtf

((What should we call you? That's a messed up acronym.))

I am also six years older than you. :) But I have done a lot of study on names and the connotations assigned to them by society. I pa..."

Can you provide a link to the list? Sounds like I could use it.

message 11: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Hope, it was in a book I read three years ago. :S Not sure I can find it again....

message 12: by Hope (new)

Hope Oh. I thought you were referring to a website. Oops.

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I also think you meant "a link to the lists" not "list to the links." ;)

message 14: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Lol...you changed it.

message 15: by Hope (new)

Hope Yep. Typos are sneaky, but I reread comments I post several minutes later for precisely that reason: to find them.

message 16: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments ROFL!
I can't believe you are all being so nice!! I expected people to treat me like a baby, but you haven't!! Thanks guys. Plays and writing will be arriving soon!!!!

Xxxx

message 17: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @timothy
Sorry, what is a connotation?

message 18: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Lol..."connotation" is one of those words I use all the time but didn't actually know the dictionary definition of until a couple months ago.

Connotation is the "emotional baggage" that comes with a word, on top of the definition. I don't really know how to explain it except through an example.

The word "baby" has a few different connotations. While the definition describes an infant, depending on context, it can also imply disdain if used as an insult (to describe a wimpy or fearful person) or to show affection (being a term of endearment).

Another word is "discipline," which usually has a negative connotation making you think of harsh punishments.

Does that make sense at all?

message 19: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
I guess it's kind of like, a word might have a straightforward dictionary definition, but there's kind of a "colloquial" definition that comes along with it; that is, the people tend to use it in speech/writing comes with a certain tone to it that isn't necessarily a part of the word's definition. Like, the word just might have a negative "vibe" to it based on how people most often use it. But yeah, it's rather hard to explain it.

message 20: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @Timothy and Brigid
Ohhhhh! I get it now! Lol thx !!!!

message 21: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Good. ^_^

So...what do we call you? Writingthefuture is a little long, and Wtf is edgy, so....

message 22: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @Timothy
You can call me Em, Emily, Emz, Emmy... whatever really.

message 23: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Ha....Emz's Writing.

Duh.

I like Em. I'll call you that. :)

message 24: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments Yeah... That's what all my mates at school call me, so that's fine :D

message 25: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments Soo, what about you? Would you prefer to be called Timothy or Taylor?

message 26: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Oh, lol....

Call me Taylor. Timothy was a pseudonym.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 819 comments @wtf
I know of a good name for your charri. Jessie. It might just be me but I think it would fit perfectly. I think I got that from the girl in my class. That was her name and she had problems like that but not as bad. She was my friend.

message 28: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @Taylor
Lol, ok

@blueturtle
Yeah, I really like it, thx

message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 735 comments I don't know, maybe Tara? Or Violet? ((I really like Violet and suggest it for every girl charrie's name available, so that isn't really specific))

message 30: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @Dana
I love the name violet too! I quite like the idea of a plant/colour as a name, thx.

message 31: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments I think I might choose the name Autumn - the hair, it's not too shy, not too confident - obviously if I get a better suggestion I will change it so keep posting your thoughts! What do you guys think? I am itching to get writing but can't think of an opening sentence!!! Lol, I'll figure it out.

message 32: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Autumn fits the suggestions I made before.

Also, if that opening line/scene is hard to write, don't do it yet. In my short fiction and poetry, the beginning is often the last thing I write.

message 33: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 735 comments Yeah I almost never start from the beginning and when I do, I have a very bad opening line but then I finish the whole thing and can think of an awesome one!

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 819 comments i never have a problem with opening sentences. i guess i'm lucky. :) i want to read it when it's done! can i?

message 35: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Blueturtles

I've only had a couple times where I've had legitimate trouble w/ an opening line. I just skip it these days because my opening lines are usually only passable the first time around, and I think of a better one later on.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 819 comments i see. sometimes i forget mine or i have then but not a story. hahaha

message 37: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Em

I'd also like to read it when it's done. I love writing from kids around year six, because it gives me an insight as to what they like to read (I write fiction for kids like yourself).

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 819 comments @Taylor how old are you?

message 39: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @BT

Seventeen.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 819 comments wow! you oldie jk!

message 41: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I get my dentures next week, and my rusty walker replaced tomorrow. ;)

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 819 comments WHAT! you didn't get it for Christmas!

message 43: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Nah...the reading glasses were all my family could buy for me. Those +6 strength glasses are awfully expensive.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 819 comments but still...lol

message 45: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Money's tight these days, saving up for my coffin. My brother wants me to go out in style, so I'll be buried in a solid gold casket, wearing Regency-era clothing. I'll be like Mr. Darcy with liver spots.

message 46: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @Blue turtles and Taylor
Of course you can read it!!! I am posting every chapter on this forum, so everyone can.

NOTE FOR AMERICANS: (I guess some of you already know, but I'll say for those who don't): Year six in England is equivalent to fifth grade in the us according to my American friend. Also, we have primary and high school instead of elementary middle and high. I'm in my last year at primary :'(. Waiting till march 1st to c which school I'm going to (we get to pick over here).

message 47: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments Oh and guys thanks for the advice about the opening!!
I don't know whether this ever happens to you guys (it does to my friend who is also massively into writing and manga), but we start a book, maybe write a chapter of so but then get bored (like we can't think of how to go on) so it never gets finished. The furthest I ever got was chapter five writing in very small chapters, so I guess I'll just have to try and make sure I don't get bored!!! Lol, I shouldn't do, it's a very action packed story line.

message 48: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Yeah. I'm a hardcore American (though I almost had to move to East London for three months this upcoming January), but I know enough about British life to know American equivalents.

What part of England are you located, Em? (I promise I'm not trying to creep...I just want to get an idea of what your accent sounds like.)

message 49: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Oh, yeah! Most young writers I know struggle finishing a novel -- it's a big deal, after all. I've only final-drafted one novel, and I've drafted a second and not finished a third. The novel is my forte, but I just haven't been writing long enough to finish them.

message 50: by Writingthefuture (new)

Writingthefuture (Writing_the_future) | 69 comments @taylor
I'm from Worcester, in the West Midlands.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.