Carrie Carrie question

Carrie: Did you cheer her on?

Carrie was not a monster. Carrie had a special gift but she had no control over it and she also did not have control or an outlet for her rage. In the end she was overtaken by her rage. She was pushed to her boling point and could not control her self. This book points a vivid picture of the fragility of humanity and how pushing people to their very limits can result in monstrous results.

I did not condone what Carrie did but her tormentors did get their just desserts. You can only push a wounded animal but so far in a corner an by nature it will turn on you, it's a universal truth. We see this played out more than ever in or school systems. The sad thing is sometimes it is the innocents who pay the most.

Everyone who witnessed Carrie's ridicule And did nothing were also guilty. Humanity warrants that we speak up against wrongs and we speak against the abuse of others. That Is what separates humanity from pure animalism. The true horror is that we sit on the sidelines and become spectator to the inhumane treatment of others and refuse to take a stand until the human spirit has been bent and broken and such ills manifest themselves. This is what King was trying to convey. The true monstrosity is human kinds lack of humanity wherein humans are the beasts.

I felt like killing everybody when I was in high school too. Wow...what a scary thought. If you had the power to annihilate your tormentors, would you?

U 25x33
Kira Nolan I hate to say it but i think I might have. I absolutely identified with Carrie. My classmates were actually pretty abusive towards me because i was so ...more
Jan 04, 2018 10:27PM · flag
Abby Rose I know how you feel, Kira. I have Aspergers too and my city I grew up in was largely Roman Catholic. So the fact that I was of a minority Christian fa ...more
Jul 01, 2018 11:45AM · flag

deleted member Dec 24, 2012 12:08PM   1 vote
Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Most people who are, or who have been bullied, can certainly identify with Carrie White. So, when she finally had enough and unleashed her powers on her taunting classmates, did you cheer her on....."

I felt sorry for carrie and I also cheered her on. I also thought Sissy Spacic was AMAZING.

I didn't cheer her on at all. Her bullies were awful people and abused her frequently. But that doesn't mean they deserved to die. There is no excuse for what they did to Carrie but what people have got to realise is that they were all kids who were all scared and angry and confused and lashed out and preyed on people's weaknesses because they didn't want to be vulnerable themselves. Being bullied doesn't justify a massacre. The kids who bullied Carrie were only 17 and they weren't good people, especially Chris or Billy, the point is they should've been given the opportunity to become good people. We only saw things from Carrie's point of view. Chris was raped and abused by Billy. Billy's character probably stemmed from an abusive home. And again they were literal only seventeen or eighteen they didn't deserve to die for lashing out and dealing with their anger in an unhealthy way.

I see Carrie as a tragic hero, like Sweeney Todd or Hamlet. I actually blogged on this subject recently ( http://fjrtitchenell.weebly.com/1/pos... if anyone's interested). No, she's not a good guy, she becomes a monster and kills innocent people, but she's not pure villain either by any means. After what she's been through, you have to feel for her.

I find with Stephen King novels, the true monsters are the monsters inside human, in humanity itself. Carrie wasn't the only monster, her mother was a monster, her bullies. She wasn't at first, but she gave in and became a monster herself. Like Stephen mist, it wasn't the monsters in the fog that was the true monsters but the humans who tried to sacrifice children. The shining, the mc, the father, the husband was the one you had to truly fear, not the spooky hotel. The stand, it wasn't the virus that was the biggest monster but the violence caused by humanity. Thinner, the husband, the mc was a monster too, killed his wife and lover but redeems himself by sacrifing himself for his daughter at the end because he nearly kills his own daughter. Secret window turns out the mc was the monster too. I think SK message is that most of humanity will crumble and collapse and revert to monsters/animals when things go bad, that humanity isn't civilised or a strong or kind as it makes out to be.

I can see why it would be appealing to cheer her on, everyone knows what bullying can feel like, some suffer from it worse than others. But I think that fogs up what you are witnessing in the book. Carrie broke and became a monster like the rest, an even bigger one.

Yes, because they drove her to it.

"In many ways, likability is a very elaborate lie, a performance, a code of conduct dictating the proper way to be. Characters who don’t follow this code become unlikable. Critics who fault a character’s unlikability cannot necessarily be faulted. They are merely expressing a wider cultural malaise with all things unpleasant, all things that dare to breach the norm of social acceptability."

From an interesting article that I find relevant to the discussion ... http://www.buzzfeed.com/roxanegay/not...

The protagonist in my debut novel, EAT WHAT YOU KILL, is quite unlikeable, and some readers can't get beyond it. Others cheer for him, some reluctantly, but once that happens, I know I've got 'em.

Isn't that a beautiful thing about fiction? We can root for monsters; it isn't real.

How could you not!!

I will keep this comment simple; hell yeah I cheered her on.

Early in the book Carrie talks about wishing for Jesus to come and crush all of the people who are cruel to her. Because she was raised by her religious maniac mother, the only way she knew justice could be achieved was through destruction so she channels that mentality at/after Prom Night. I can't say I support the murder of all of those cruel people but I can easily see how Carrie would decide to do that. I see Carrie as the tragic heroine, twisted by the world she lived in.

I first read Carrie at the very formative age of 13. By that time I had already witnessed many instances of bullying and social ostracism in my junior high. Being a sensitive kid, this kind of traumatized me because I witnessed it but was not strong enough in character to intervene and stand up for the poor unfortunate victim. At that time, Carrie seemed like more of a cautionary tale.

Maybe I should re-read the thing again; maybe from a perspective of 30 years after high school I will cheer her on a bit. Then again, I might try to reason with Carrie to not be so extreme, because from this vantage point I can tell her that her tormentors are truly living the best years of their lives and it might be far more satisfying to sit back and watch the years take their toll on those people.

Drew (last edited Jan 07, 2014 06:02PM ) Jan 07, 2014 06:02PM   0 votes
Unlike the movie, Carrie did control what she was doing. She said multiple times that she did want to see them suffer. So it's hard to sympathize with her like you can watching the movie.
I have experienced bullying (though not nearly as bad as most people, or what Carrie experienced.) and I can say that I do feel bad for Carrie and understand her craving for revenge. I would love to see my tormentors get the payback they deserve, but I wouldn't want to see anyone die!
However, then there is also the subject of her upbringing. Obviously, she was not raised in a house like most people are. Since her Mother hurts herself to make Carrie feel bad, I'm sure even crazier morbid things went down in that house that could screw with Carrie's mind.
I do sympathize with her, but I do not think that the right payback should have been the deaths of the entire town (including innocent people.).

Carrie's peers deserved what they got for being so horrible to her just because she was different from them.

Of course I cheered her on! Kill 'em all. Is there anyone who did not?

Of course I did !! I felt her pain..I was bullied on school for being different.. ..I read this book in my teen years and cried..I felt a lot like in her place...I was never the popular..not that I cared..but being bullied makes you feel like you wish you could be in her shoes and do all that yourself! Her pain made me cry.. I was hooked on her from start to end..

deleted member May 23, 2013 07:23PM   0 votes
I loved her character begining to end.

yes I cheered her on because I know what it is like to be made fun of. I think that everyone should read this book because it shows of the outsiders feel and is a warning for those who make fun of others you never know what they can and will do to you.

Yeah, sorta. I mean, a lot of the townsfolk didn't deserve to be murdered by her...but I won't deny my satisfaction when she killed her mother and when she killed...huh...the guy and the girl that planned the blood bucket ish (the guy played by Travolta in the first original movie)...I've forgotten their names.

When I first read it, yes, because I hate bullies. And I grew up wanting powers like hers. But now I believe that love is louder. Battle bullies with love. :)

Carrie WAS a Tortured lonely Soul, and I don't blame her for doing what she did. Everybody has a breaking point!

Course I did. Guilty as charged. No one diserves horror though the bullies doing that did diserve it.

I felt very sorry for Carrie. she had it bad in both of her worlds. 1. her mother, and 2. her school life. she rarely knew kindness. it does ask the question.."just how far can someone be pushed without snapping?" she had years of torture. now she has this new found telekinesis that especially showed up when angry or upset. wow 17 years of rage came out that night. i may not have cheered her on but could not blame her either.

OMG! I totally will cheer her on!! Go Go Carrie go! go kill your town and blow everyone up!!!!!

No; because her wrath was indiscriminate. She killed the innocent as well as the guilty. It was very satisfying in the movie to 'see' the baddies get squashed; but in the book (a more cerebral experience where one's judgment must come into play) far less so.

I will admit I did not cheer her on but I did feel bad for everything that Carrie was going through. Sure, the few amounts of people she was taunted by deserved some sort of comeuppance but I felt that her thoughts to do that were too radical and cruel even to her character. It was sad that she had to stoop so low (as low and further than her enemies).

The most disturbing part about this book is its amazing, lasting impact. Was she right in what she did to deal with the abuse? If not no how about when people in real life do that in a school?

The tortured souls in the schools definitely need to go to someone for help or even try to find a close friend who will take them back to reality...

And look what legacy Carrie left behind. People wished she "burn in hell" for what she did. Was there a better way to deal with it all? I think so.

I cheered her on, it was so sad to watch what she had to go through day in and out. Her mother was crazy and when she pushed to her limits, there was nothing she could to do. The pain and anger was there.

deleted member Jun 02, 2013 01:29PM   0 votes
I cheered her on. Off with their heads!.

No, she had no excuse for what she did. It was a little extreme and the whole time I could not help but think she was obviously a sociopath that need to be locked up or have lots of therapy.

I didn't cheer her on but I did understand her motivations. It has been a while since I read the book but I think Carrie did try not to hurt people - she wanted to be accepted (and who, at that age, doesn't want to be accepted?) and it was only when they humiliated her in the most public and hurtful manner possible that she lashed out.

Hell Yeah, I cheered her on, felt bad for the few who actually were on her side though.

Of course I did. All those bullies, even her own mother, had their deaths coming to them. You can only push someone so far before they finally snap. That's how karma works: those who do right are rewarded while those who do wrong are punished.

I cheered her on....from behind my sofa!

um yes. she had way to much to handle and she needed a good breakdown so i say go her.

Oh goodness yeas, it was about time they got what they deserved

i did cheer her on. i got pissed when the 2013 version saved most of everyone's ass. theyre suppose to be DEAD.
KEEP THE GRUESOME ALIVE!!!! DIRECTORS/WRITERS!!! you messed up my fucking favorite movie with the alternating scene that is NOT accordingly to the the book god damn it!

Por supuesto que la apoyo, no fue su culpa, empezando por su jodida loca madre, luego la tonta de Chris, no por nada la única que sobrevive es Sue, por que a pesar de todo Carrie sabia que Sue no la insultaba ni agredía, todo lo que paso no fue culpa de Carrie, ella sólo quería encajar en el circulo de amigos, y por parte de su mamá, si ella sabía que tenía poderes, perfectamente pudo apoyarla, en lugar de creer que estaba poseída. En conclusión, ellos se buscaron lo que les pasó, yo adoro a Carrie. ♥

I was very angry with the kids who bullied her, and I don't blame her for what she did. However, I am not sure I could cheer for her. I definitely understand why it happened. And I would like to think this is a lesson for all the kids out there who think it's great fun to bully other kids.

I was in Carrie's corner because I, too, was a victim of bullying in grade and high school. Her classmates were cruel, didn't back off, and no one intervened. Yes, she turned into a monster toward the end, a harried monster rather than the monster who did the harrying.

OF WITH THEIR HEADS. i cheered her on alright.

deleted member (last edited Feb 06, 2014 12:35PM ) Feb 04, 2014 10:39AM   0 votes
Heck Yeah!!! I Loved Seeing Chloë Grace Moretz In That Role As Carrie... Especially When "Carrie" Slaughters Them All!
Ohhhh... KILL THEM ALL CARRIE!!!!!!

I didn't cheer her on, but I did feel bad for her. She just had a miserable life and it warped her mind. But being treated badly doesn't justify mass murder. I didn't cheer the shooters at Columbine High School and who in their right mind would?