Aussie Readers discussion

Nanyang
This topic is about Nanyang
Archives > Free download of epic saga Nanyang

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:02AM) (new) - added it

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 213 comments Here’s something to read as you take a summer break. You can download for free next Thursday or Friday my sweeping Asian saga Nanyang – an epic tale spanning a period of 200 years, which combines romance, adventure, drama, and history.

Nanyang is a historical novel you can immerse yourself in over the holiday period – it is 700 pages long in the paperback edition – or simply dip into from time to time to find segments that appeal to you.

For example: Fleets of warring nations clash in the North Sea; passion between a Malaccan girl and an English ship’s captain on the island of Penang; sinister intrigue in the court of a Javanese ruler; a young man’s fateful love for a China Coast pirate queen; diabolical Chinese punishment for a foreign devil disobeying an Imperial decree; a night of horror as Chinese in Batavia are the target of a Dutch pogrom; or the bloody battle for Java between British and Dutch forces – just a small taste of this wide-ranging narrative.

You can find a full description here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PHIPU4

The free download (from the site above) starts at about 1 a.m. US West Coast time (8 p.m. Australian East Coast time) on December 27 and ends at midnight on December 28 (7 p.m. December 29 Australian East Coast time).

[Note: The cover image at the top is for the paperback. Be sure you go to the URL in this text.]

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69350 comments Mod
Thanks so much Ian:) I have set a reminder in my phone so I won't forget;)

message 3: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 213 comments Brenda wrote: "Thanks so much Ian:) I have set a reminder in my phone so I won't forget;)"

Ha,ha. Thought I would give advance notice as everyone's focused on Christmas over the next couple of days.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Very good idea!

Geoff Woodland | 313 comments Built in to the desktop calendar for the 28th Oz time - alarm set!
Merry Christmas to all & a 'well read' & healthy 2013

message 6: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 213 comments Geoff (Scouse) wrote: "Built in to the desktop calendar for the 28th Oz time - alarm set!
Merry Christmas to all & a 'well read' & healthy 2013"

Great, Geoff. Nanyang includes early British interest in Asian outposts leading to founding of Singapore and Hong Kong.

Geoff Woodland | 313 comments Thanks Ian, I am currently researching Asia from 1813 to the mid 1830's for a sequel to my first novel Ice King - so I promise not to plagiarise anything :-)
Ice King is to be renamed if the UK publisher has his way - did this happen to any of your work?

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Geoff (Scouse) wrote: "Built in to the desktop calendar for the 28th Oz time - alarm set!
Merry Christmas to all & a 'well read' & healthy 2013"

Merry Christmas to you and your family too Geoff:)

message 9: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 213 comments Geoff (Scouse) wrote: "Thanks Ian, I am currently researching Asia from 1813 to the mid 1830's for a sequel to my first novel Ice King - so I promise not to plagiarise anything :-)
Ice King is to be renamed if the UK pu..."

My publishers have been happy to go along with my ideas for titles. Have been fortunate to have had good relations with all my editors. Some authors are not so lucky.

And a Merry Chistmas to you and Brenda and all the Aussie Readers gang!

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Ian....have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends:)

Geoff Woodland | 313 comments Christmas Day is over for another year . . . enjoyed the time with the family, but it was very wet - rained most of the day.
Must Google - 'How to lose weight before New Years Eve, without going on the wagon'
Now checking the on-line sales for a new lap-top under $500 as a back-up . . . . never use your credit card after a few drinks, so will have to get this done before noon - hic!

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha!! Have fun Geoff!

message 13: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 213 comments Geoff (Scouse) wrote: "Christmas Day is over for another year . . . enjoyed the time with the family, but it was very wet - rained most of the day.
Must Google - 'How to lose weight before New Years Eve, without going o..."

Very wet! I drove to my son's place for lunch, enjoying the light traffic, taking my time, when suddenly at an intersection, a car in the oncoming lane turned left and lost his (large) hub cap It flew up into the air and hit the front of my car with a thump, bouncing over it and landing somewhere behind me. The owner did not stop. I pulled over and examined my small vehicle - some marks but no damage.
As I drove on I couldn't help thinking, what if it had hit the windscreen!

Anyway, means I'm going to make the new year. :-)

Good luck with your laptop buying.

Geoff Woodland | 313 comments There's a novel there somewhere - why was the other car in such a hurry, what would have happened if you chased him to have him pay for the damage, suppose the driver was the MC's ex-wife, suppose it was the PM trying to beat a deadline and have the economy in surplus . . .suppose, suppose it never happened and you weren't there at all :-o)
Where's that typewriter . . .

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Hahaha!!!

message 16: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 213 comments Well, actually . . . I'm always looking for ways to have people killed. It occurred to me (for a very brief moment) that if the driver was clever enough to get the trajectory dead-on (pardon the pun) and was waiting for my car to appear . . . stamped on the gas pedal and swung the steering wheel hard to the left . . . blam! The loosened hub cap takes off and smashes through my windscreen. Mission accomplished. On the other hand . . . :-)

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thank you Ian, I have just downloaded a copy:)

message 18: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 213 comments Brenda wrote: "Thank you Ian, I have just downloaded a copy:)"

Happy reading, Brenda! (I hope.:-))

And best wishes for the New Year.

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Ian, and the same to you and your family:)