2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Curtis's 100 Books in 2013

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 30 comments Hey all, I'm planning to read 100 books in 2013. I'll start adding books in here as I read them :)

message 2: by Curtis (last edited Jan 30, 2013 09:37PM) (new)

Curtis | 30 comments January:

1. The Casual Vacancy - 3 Stars, read 03/01/13
2. The Joy Luck Club - 4 Stars, read 04/01/13
3. The Long Earth - 2 Stars, read 06/01/13
4. The Time Traveler's Wife - 5 Stars, read 08/01/13
5. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - 3 Stars, read 12/01/13
6. People's Republic - 5 Stars, read 12/01/13
7. Angels and Demons - 4 Stars, read 15/01/13
8. The Fault in Our Stars - 4 Stars, read 15/01/13
9. The Blade Itself - 5 Stars, read 18/01/13
10. Before They Are Hanged - 4 Stars, read 21/01/13
11. Last Argument of Kings - 4 Stars, read 24/01/13
12. Glitches - 3 Stars, read 24/01/13
13. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - 5 Stars, read 25/01/13
14. To Kill a Mockingbird - 4 Stars, read 27/01/13
15. The Darkest Minds - 5 Stars, read 29/01/13
16. American Love Songs - 4 Stars, read 31/01/13

The Darkest Minds was my favourite book this month, the cool powers, the characters and the little bit of romance made it quite awesome, but it looks like I have to wait till December for the next one :(

Rereading the first Harry Potter book reminded me of how much I loved them, they never seems to get old.

I was going to read Game of Thrones but ended up reading The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie instead, they were quite good, I liked the twists and the realism of every character not necessarily being a hero.

I loved the Time Traveller's Wife, I didn't think I was going to like it that much after the movie but, it was actually quite good.

The Long Earth was kind of boring to be honest, not a lot really happened and nothing was really explained. As it was mostly focused on Joshua traveling the ending didn't really have that much of an impact on me, it was also a bit of a cliffhanger for the next book.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, was a good and quick read, but I found it quite similar to other Cancer themed books I've read.

I don't really read many non-fiction books but Quiet by Susan Cain was alright, learned a bit about myself and others.

Angels and Demons I thought was really good compared to how some people thought of it, I guess parts of it were a little unbelievable, but it was still pretty good.

The Casual Vacancy was alright, completely different to Harry Potter, and I didn't really like it as much but it was pretty good.

If I had to recommend one book from the books I read this month, it'd have to be The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain People's Republic (Aramov, #1) by Robert Muchamore Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon, #1) by Dan Brown The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2) by Joe Abercrombie Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3) by Joe Abercrombie Glitches (Lunar Chronicles, #0.5) by Marissa Meyer Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken American Love Songs by Ashlyn Kane

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6676 comments I really liked the Time Traveler's Wife - much better than the movie. In my opinion, Angels and Demons is better written than the Da Vinci Code, and it was a fast read. Game of Thrones is long but worth it in the end. My greatest piece of advice is do not get really attached to the characters and wait to watch the TV series until after you've read at least the first book. Enjoy!

message 4: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 851 comments I agree with you about Angels and Demons, Megan, it's much better than the Da Vinci Code and is a very fast yet enjoyable read.

message 5: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 30 comments Yeah I've been so tempted to watch the Game of Thrones TV show, but everyone's been telling me to read the books first :P I've heard some mixed reviews about Angels and Demons which was putting me off a bit, but thanks for reassuring me :)

message 6: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6676 comments Curtis wrote: "Yeah I've been so tempted to watch the Game of Thrones TV show, but everyone's been telling me to read the books first :P I've heard some mixed reviews about Angels and Demons which was putting me ..."

Anytime:)

message 7: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 30 comments Planned Reading for February

Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer The Forge of Darkness (The Kharkanas Trilogy #1) by Steven Erikson Guardian Angel (Aramov, #2) by Robert Muchamore The Fall (Cherub, #7) by Robert Muchamore The Red House A Novel by Mark Haddon Saving June by Hannah Harrington Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin American on Purpose The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot by Craig Ferguson The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald