Horror Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > How do you manage your TBR shelf?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments My TBR shelf is completely out of control. Ever since I joined the Horror Aficionados group (which has been a really good thing) my TBR shelf has exploded. I have 300+ books on my e-reader currently. Every time I finish a book I get whacked out trying to decide what I am going to read next. I have so many must reads and am so behind… I don’t know if I will ever catch up. I keep trying to make a list and stick to it, but I am always revising it and reading something else that is not even on the frickin’ list…

Quality problem, I know.

So, here is my question, I am curious how do you manage your TBR list? Do you have a system to pick your next read?

message 2: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I just read what comes next.
I may not know what that is, but it will be there when I'm ready to read it.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments That's kind of what I have been doing. I just feel like I am falling farther and farther behind. Maybe, I am looking at it backwards...

message 4: by Jon Recluse (new)

I'ed rather have a huge TBR list than a short one, y'know?

If there is something you wanna read, then it's at the top of the pile.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments True.

message 6: by Jon Recluse (new)

My advice, don't look at it as falling behind.....look at it as how much you've got to look forward to. ;)

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Good advice! Thanks, Jon!

message 8: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1638 comments I added a "must read" shelf for those I want to make a note that they should be read next. You could even go with a "must read 1", "must read 2", etc. and prioritize them that way.

What I've been adding to the "must read" shelf is anything that had a particularly appealing description, or had a rating of above 4 on both Amazon and GoodReads, with a number of reviewed.

Since I've been downloading 15-20 free Kindle books each day, I needed something to remind me which were the best for my next read. To tell the truth, I'm surprised how few of the free books have been terrible. I always figure I can quickly delete the free book off my Kindle if I don't like it, but have only done it rarely.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I know how you feel, Bill. My TRB list is humongous. But I look at it as something that exists not for me to conquer but to glance at when I am desperate for something to read and haven't seen a good suggestion posted at HA lately. But most books I read aren't plan, I just somehow fall assbackward into them.

I do have a friend-recommends shelf that lets me know that someone at HA has raved about a book, I've looked it up and read the description, and it looks like a sure winner. I try to get to them first.

But my next read is usually a spur-of-the-moment thing: someone just talked up a great book; someone asked for a buddy read; I just saw that a book is out I've been waiting for; I pick up my Kindle and scroll through it.

Hell, it's all good!

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Whats a TBR list? To Be Read?

message 11: by Jon Recluse (new)

You got it, Justin.

message 12: by Char (new)

Char  | 14232 comments Mod
I'm in the same boat.
I made an On Deck Circle TBR -meaning read these next!
Yeahhh...didn't work. :)

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments I think maybe I just get myself all wound up and overwhelmed by the volume. I should probably learn not to take myself so seriously and just enjoy the backlog : ) I won’t throw away my list, but I think I may just try and go with the flow. As Tressa says “Hell, it’s all good!” …and it is!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee | 26 comments My TBR list is also out of control. I have a tendency to read the latest and greatest rather than something I bought last month or even last year. So - to make sure that alll my TBR books have an equal chance to go to the top of the list, I have Calibre select the next book to read. It's working well.

message 15: by Char (new)

I don't think I could do that, Dee. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for certain things...and I won't know that until I start reading.
If that makes any sense, which it probably doesn't. :)

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee | 26 comments Sure it makes sense, Charlene. I'm pretty flexible with what I read...and I don't download anything unless I think I'm going to absolutely love it. So the Calibre deal works for me.

message 17: by Char (new)

I'm glad that someone has their act together, Dee. (You!) : )

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee | 26 comments Thanks, Charlene.

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Maybe there is hope for me yet, Dee!

message 20: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Charlene wrote: "I'm in the same boat.
I made an On Deck Circle TBR -meaning read these next!
Yeahhh...didn't work. :)"

HAHA! We will just have to muddle through it together, Charlene!

message 21: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I don't manage it. I pick my next book based on what I feel like reading at that moment, not what my TBR list looks like. They are in the order that I put them there.

message 22: by Char (new)

You make it sound so easy, Gator!

message 23: by Dax (new)

Dax | 18 comments I have the same problem. I typically read just what I feel like at the moment. Though I do have books that I have been wanting to read forever and just haven't started them. I also feel overwhelmed with the amount of books on my TBR list.

So I have installed bookshelves into my closet, one is too high to reach so I have to give it effort with a ladder to reach it and a lower shelf that I can reach with ease. I keep the books I REALLY want to read on the lower shelf and the books that I want to read eventually on the top shelf.

Since the top shelf takes effort, I find my self sticking to the bottom shelf which is nice and fixes the problem of what to read next.

As for the overwhelming issue, I have the bottom shelf smaller than the top, that way fewer books are there and I can focus on those and completely ignore the top shelf and my list looks smaller visually. Once I finish a book I put it on the top shelf.

As the bottom shelf gets empty I put books from the top shelf that weren't a priority onto it.

Maybe try something like that? If it makes sense at all haha.

message 24: by Khadija (new)

Khadija Olson (GrandGothic) | 4 comments I really want to get a better system in my TB. I really liked what Randy Dec 22 is doing "Must read 1- Must read 2" and I liked Tressa Friends-Recommended. So I will be working on my TBR utilizing Randy's an Tressa's
systems.

Let's see where it will get me. ;-)

message 25: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Me I just go with the flow. All my TBR books are in the cupboards and drawers under the TV, so when I'm ready for a new one, I just go rootin' around until I come up with one that calls out to me. Then I go with it. Unless I'm joining in a group or buddy read, then I'll read that one. But usually it's just whatever I'm feeling when I go pick.

message 26: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I've never managed my tbr list very well. I always get sidetracked or trying to squeeze in another book. This year I'm doing something different. I want to read longer/larger books. I'm lowering my goal of how many to read. I made two lists of books I would like to read next year each with 13 books.

message 27: by Tressa (last edited Dec 29, 2012 07:20AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Khadija wrote: "I really want to get a better system in my TB. I really liked what Randy Dec 22 is doing "Must read 1- Must read 2" and I liked Tressa Friends-Recommended. So I will be working on my TBR utilizing ..."

Khadija, I really get psyched about reading ASAP books my friends here recommend, hence my "friends recommended" shelf. I don't want their suggestions to get lost in my long list of TBR books.

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I have no problem changing my mind about which book I'm reading next. Sometimes I have one picked out, but if a friend really praises a book, I try to grab it.

message 29: by TJ (new)

TJ (coachtim30) | 41 comments I have so many books on my TBR stack that I gave up trying to manage them years ago. I just go with the flow and pick up what strikes at that time. Pretty scientific, right?

message 30: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3476 comments Mod
I keep a loose list in my head of possible next reads, sometimes when I'm about to finish a current read I will have the next one lined up or I like to walk around my shelves picking things up and seeing how they fit my current mood or I browse my Nook which has grown to gargantuan proportions.

message 31: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1913 comments I don't manage; I try and fail miserably. Between the Recommendations tab; recommendations from friends, recommendations from groups and then seeing everyone's reviews for "an awesome book"; my TBR is hopeless. It is huge, like an ass during christmas dinner.

I have created lists that only show how ridiculous my list is; so I have only 6 lists.. i think... what to read, what to buy, what i own, etc. The only way I have kept it in check is getting rid of the TBRs based upon the giveaways i have entered and have failed to win. If it was an iffy book anyway; I will remove it; but not always. I have entered and won great books... soooo... :O

message 32: by Bandit (last edited Dec 29, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments All the books on my TBR shelf are the books I actually own in paper format, from time to time I read a book from there depending on my mood. This year I haven't really done that so much because I've been reading so many books from the library and lately on Kindle. I do try to make sure the books on my TBR shelf are the ones I have interest in, if that is no longer the case I downsize. I don't add books to my TBR shelf I don't own...the ones I come across and they look good or by authors I love or were recommended highly on HA, those go on my amazon wish list. I try not to overwhelm myself. With the Kindle, I just seem to stockpile books and read them on a whim, since they are free and don't take up any physical space, I don't feel the need to manage them.

message 33: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Randy wrote: "I added a "must read" shelf for those I want to make a note that they should be read next. You could even go with a "must read 1", "must read 2", etc. and prioritize them that way.

What I've been ..."

Randy, where do you get all the free Kindle books? My son got a Kindle for Christmas and I'd like to point him to the free stuff.
thanks !

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Goodreads is such a great tracking system. Not sure how I survived without it before! I currently have 1000 TBR. Seriously, that exact number as of today lol. About a 100 are free ebooks, the rest books. I keep them on bookshelves by genre, then author name order. Don't seperate the TBR from read as there's too many.

message 35: by Char (new)

Jaye, sign up at ereaderiq.com. They will send you an email every day with free books, supported by genre. There are usually about 500-700 free books every day in the US.

message 36: by Randy (last edited Dec 29, 2012 01:09PM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1638 comments Jaye wrote: "Randy, where do you get all the free Kindle books?"

Mainly from visiting here every day:

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/

I have a profile I click on that shows me all the free books since I last visited (usually daily, since the offerings change each day), in the genres of Horror, SF, and Fantasy, sorted by average customer review.

I typically download 10-20 books each day. If they have a rating higher than 4 on both Amazon and GoodReads, they usually go on my "Must Read" list. Or if the description particularly appeals to me in some way, I may download it directly to my Kindle Paperwhite.

I do need to update GoodReads with each purchase I do, but that only takes a few seconds to do the search and add the shelves.

I also have a number of RSS feeds that tell me when something free and new shows up in the top rated lists, or free and has a new tag on it that I'm interested in.

For example, a Yahoo pipe that creates an RSS feed of free books that have recently been tagged with "Zombie":

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run...

Or, the Amazon RSS for top free Historical Romance books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/rss/top-free...

message 37: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Randy wrote: "Jaye wrote: "Randy, where do you get all the free Kindle books?"

Mainly from visiting here every day:

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/

I have a profile I click on that shows me all the free book..."

Thank you very much for all the useful information !
I will pass it along.
thanks again, Randy.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (love4leo) | 137 comments I just added a "you own these books, read them next" shelf for my TBR. I have a problem with buying new books when I still have ones I haven't read yet. My excuse to my husband is "buying new books makes me happy!" To which he replies: "No. No more." haha

message 39: by Jon Recluse (new)

I have a physical TBR pile, a virtual TBR pile and insomnia.
I may go insane, but I'll be well read when I get there...

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hold the presses. Bandit got a Kindle? When did this happen? I'm sure this isn't something I'd forget.

message 41: by Jon Recluse (last edited Dec 29, 2012 03:55PM) (new)

No, you forgot.

message 42: by Bandit (last edited Dec 29, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I got a Kindle last year as an insanely generous gift from my HA friend, it just took me this long to start using it. Now I use it a lot, though. I download all the great free books that Nikki finds for us. It's weird as a reading format, but very convenient and very OCD friendly :)

message 43: by Jon Recluse (new)

See?