Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Welcome to the Goodreads Choice Award Book Club! My name is Nicolette Jenkins and I am your founder. I started this club because I realized that I personally wanted to read every book that was voted in for the Goodreads Choice Awards. I thought for sure that there would already be a group for such a thing but I found nothing. I knew that I couldn't be the only one looking for a supporting group to work through the list with me so I decided to start a new one.

I'm hoping that this new year will bring a lot of fun times for this club. I desire that we would grow not only in numbers, but as readers and individuals as well because of our community. Thank you all for joining!

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire Perry (clairelou) Nicolette wrote: "Welcome to the Goodreads Choice Award Book Club! My name is Nicolette Jenkins and I am your founder. I started this club because I realized that I personally wanted to read every book that was vote..."

Thanks for the invite Nicolette! This is a great idea ;)

message 3: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (ciska_vander_lans) Thanks for the invite. Was planning to have a look at that list a bit more already out of curiosity and this will help for sure.

message 4: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Great! I will be working on getting more boards up and things like that so that this group can be lots of fun!

message 5: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hi! Great idea for a group. I want to read many of the books that made it onto the nominees list, not necessarily just the winners. Maybe for other books voted on by members we could have a vote based on the top nominees list. Some of the winning books are books that are in a series (ie the 3rd of, or the 13th in the series, etc.) and I won't be reading those until or unless I've read the others in the series.

The entire listing of the nominees that maybe we can vote on as monthly group choices can be found here:

http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards...

message 6: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Cathie wrote: "Hi! Great idea for a group. I want to read many of the books that made it onto the nominees list, not necessarily just the winners. Maybe for other books voted on by members we could have a vote..."
I couldn't agree more, Cathie. I think that for the most part I put books like that in a month where another book was going to be read so that there was an option. I think that from what I remember only The Walking Dead book and Insurgent are part of a series (there could be more though!). But I totally agree that it wouldn't make much sense to read the series out of order. What about a year long challenge for The Walking Dead? That way by October when we read #16 more people will have gotten into the series. It's one in particular that I really want to read.

As far as reading the other nominated books I think that you are right. There are a lot of great looking books there! I think that the best way to get them in would be to nominate them for one of our additional reads each month.

message 7: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) What does everyone think of doing 2 additional books each month? Of course most of us won't be able to read all of the books each month because that means that it could be up to 4 and if there are other challenges even more, but I think that it would be good to leave a lot of options open.

message 8: by Cathie (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I like the idea of 2 additional book choices. We don't have to read them all, lol. There are soooo many good books to be read and I'm a greedy reader. Series read would be good too; what a great idea!. I know the Stephen King fantasy book is 4.5 book in a 7 book series and Fifty Shades Freed is the third book in the Fifty Shades series, etc.

message 9: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (ciska_vander_lans) Shadow of the night is a series too and I would advice against reading it as stand alone. I think 2 additional books so we can pick from 4 is ok. I will probably not read them all but like to try and choose one book from each book club I am in to read that month.

message 10: by Nicolette (last edited Dec 25, 2012 05:48PM) (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Wow! So quite a few of then are! Okay, we'll probably just set up a few series challenges for those

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
What a great group idea! :)

message 12: by Akhil (new)

Akhil ^_^TheGreat^_^ (YourLoyalWarrior) | 2 comments I'm excited to be here! And yes, what a great group!

message 13: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Akhil! :-) This is a great group :-)

message 14: by Akhil (new)

Akhil ^_^TheGreat^_^ (YourLoyalWarrior) | 2 comments Thanks!

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna | 94 comments Hi, this group looks to be a lot of fun! I was hoping to read many of the books that won in the Choice Awards, and here's a great place to discuss them. -- Donna

message 16: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Donna :-). Our book line up for the year is excellent; you can check it out in this thread:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

And that doesn't include the series reads, members picks and whatever else our wonderful members dream up!

message 17: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (cyndijan) Hi! I just found this group and I'm looking forward to joining you all! I've read a few of the books you've already finished, and I'm always looking for another good read!

message 18: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome to the group Cyndi :-)

message 19: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Excellent idea .... hello everyone :)

message 20: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hello Lynn :-)

message 21: by Tiia (new)

Tiia Wright Baker | 9 comments Hi Everyone,
My name is Tiia. I love to read and am always looking for ideas about new novels. It will also be lovely to discuss what I have read with others and hear other people's perspectives. As I am just joining today I think I will start with Casual Vacancy. I realistically think I will only be able to achieve 1 book a month but it will be good to have some choices.

message 22: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Welcome Tiia, the beauty of an online book club is you can do as little or as much as you like :)

message 23: by Rama (new)

Rama LH | 8 comments It's a great idea indeed. :) I'm looking forward for the books you're gonna be sharing, thanks in advance

message 24: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hello Tiia and Rama :-). I'm glad you joined us!

message 25: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Welcome Rama :)

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinekinsella) | 25 comments Hi everyone! This looks like a very interesting group. As I navigate the Goodreads site, I'm finding more and more opportunities to not only search out good books to read, but also to share thoughts and opinions about them.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Mpapasingo | 2 comments Thanks Nicolette..what a patriotic heart, your actions just speaking about your love for books..thanks a lot for such nice idea of which will help us all..

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie (goodreadscomuser_angie17) | 1 comments I am so excited about this book group. It's so cool to be able to discuss a book with others! Thanks for inviting me!
Angie Osborne

message 29: by Celi (new)

Celi | 3 comments Hi! I've always wanted to be in a book club! Love the idea of this one! I'm very excited I found this group!

message 30: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Welcome Chris, Kevin, Angie and Celi :)

Please get involved and nominate a book for our April Additional Read -> http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

(Chris, I think you already have done)

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Hi I am trying to read more books and this sounds fun!

message 32: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) I'm glad that you are excited Sophie! Welcome!

message 33: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha Saleem (ayesha_saleem) Hey! This sounds like a great idea, so thought I'd join. There seem to be some awesome books on the list, and I'd love to finally be able to rant about/gush about/discuss them with other book-loving people. :)

message 34: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Ayesha :-). We DO have a wonderful selection of reads in this group! I'm looking forward to your gushing, lol.

message 35: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha Saleem (ayesha_saleem) That makes two of us. x)
So, when was this group started? And how long have you been a member, if you don't mind me asking?

message 36: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments The group was formed in December by Nicolette. I have been a member since the beginning (a couple of days in).

message 37: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Welcome Sophie and Ayesha :)

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5945 comments Mod
Hi! My name is Kristie and I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. Thank you for starting this group! I love all the book choices. Lately, all my reading time has been taken up by text books for my grad classes, so I'm looking forward to indulging in some fun reading. :) I probably won't be able to read as many books as I'd like to off the list, but it'll still be fun to chat with people about the ones I do get to read. Happy reading!

message 39: by Dewi (new)

Dewi Marpaung | 1 comments Hello everyone! ^_^ I'm Dewi from Indonesia. So glad to be here. Happy reading!

message 40: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Hey Kristie and Dewi, enjoy the group :)

message 41: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hi Kristie and Dewi :-)

message 42: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Thank you for starting this group. I've just signed up and I'm looking forward to having great fun reading the books chosen by other members. I also hope to add my voice to the recommendations and nominations. I love reading and sharing opinions about what I read. I prefer crime and mystery books, but I also like to keep up with 'what's new and important or even crucial to read' thus this group seems to be ideal :)

message 43: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Welcome Anima, thanks for your enthusiasm :)

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris Wikman | 39 comments HI Everyone... I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm excited about joining this group. I am a single dad, with 5 adopted kids between 3-11 years old. I have been encouraging them to be "avid book readers"... with 90 minutes a day for almost two years now... but my kids have pointed out... that although I buy books all the time... I am not reading as I should be... so now my kids are teaching me by example... how to be an avid reader. I've set a goal to read 35 books this year... which seems impossible to me at this point...

I prefer fiction; one of my favourite authors is John Irving, but I am hoping to discover new authors and expanding my tastes in books through the group. Thanks

message 45: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 38 comments Hi! I'm Kathleen and from California. I mainly like to read PNR/UF, fantasy, and YA but I like to try new things. Some of my favorite seres are Harry Potter, Hunger games, Mortal Instruments, Fablehaven, and Divergent. I think this group is a great idea since I wanted to read a lot of the books on the list anyway. More than 2 books a month is fine by me because when I'm not busy I can read 5-10 books/month. Can't wait to talk to everyone!

message 46: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Hey Chris and Kathleen, welcome to the group.

Chris - 5 adopted kids, wow! You are one brave man :)

message 47: by donna (new)

donna (donnahag) | 22 comments Chris wrote: "HI Everyone... I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm excited about joining this group. I am a single dad, with 5 adopted kids between 3-11 years old. I have been encouraging them to be "avid book read..."

Hi that's great your kids read 90 minutes a day! Know if I could get mine to read for even 20 would be great! Donna

message 48: by donna (new)

donna (donnahag) | 22 comments Looking forward to this group! WOndering if anyone has ideas for young boys to get them to read! Having trouble finding books that interest them. Wish there was a series for hunting and outdoors since they love to do that. THey are 10 and 7.

Am excited about this group! I have 3 children 2 boys 10 &7 and one girl 9. She loves to read but the boys not so much! I love to read, crochet and tole paint. Reading "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" right now and loving it!

message 49: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Donna.

I'm afraid I'm childless, so don't have any suggestions for you. Maybe Chris will come along and help! :)

message 50: by Christine (new)

Christine Howard | 13 comments Im new and trying to figure out why or how I get off the 0 books read since I have read some of the books in the past. How do I add what I've read to your list.

« previous 1 3 4