Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Award Winners > 2013 Calendar of Monthly Reads!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolette (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:24PM) (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) January:
Gone Girl (Mystery and thriller award winner)
A Thousand Mornings (Poetry award winner)
February:
The Casual Vacancy (Fiction award winner)
March:
The Mark of Athena (Middle Grade's and Children's award winner)
April:
The Long Earth (Science fiction award winner)
May:
The Fault in Our Stars (Young Adult Fiction award winner)
Shadow of Night (Paranormal Fantasy award winner)
June:
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (Nonfiction award winner)
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir (Humor winner)
July:
Fifty Shades Freed (Romance award winner)
Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch (History and biography award winner)
August:
The Light Between Oceans(Historical Fiction award winner)
Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Picture books award winner)
September:
Insurgent (Young Adult Fantasy and Goodreads Author award winner)
October:
The Twelve (Horror award winner)
The Walking Dead, Vol. 16: A Larger World (Graphic novel and comics award winner)
November:
The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier (Food and Cookbooks award winner)
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Memoir and Autobiography award winner)
December:
The Wind Through the Keyhole (Fantasy award winner)

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen | 12 comments I have viewed your list of reads and did not see any Afro - American writers. I did like the children books recommended.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 12 comments I have viewed your list of reads and did not see any Afro - American writers. I did like the children books recommended.

message 4: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) That's an interesting point. Goodreads doesn't have any multicultural awards at this point. Maybe we should bring it up as a future award.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris The Multicultural award would be great -- we need Asian, Native American, Afro American, African, and Indian and Mid East authors...great idea!

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Dalfovo (princessmiwi) | 1 comments Yeah, we could use some multicultural awards:
one for asian
another for native american
other for afro american
other for authors from africa
other from authors from oceania
and south/central america
:~

message 7: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Cindy wrote: "Yeah, we could use some multicultural awards:
one for asian
another for native american
other for afro american
other for authors from africa
other from authors from oceania
and south/central ameri..."

Hi :-). Please note that this group is only for the reading of books that have won the Goodreads Choice Awards (for 2012, at this point).

We are not associated in any way with selecting what the awards are. You can get in touch with Goodreads staff and let them know that you would like to see a multicultural award considered as a category for the 2013 Choice Awards which will start nominations later on in this year. If enough people question them as to why this isn't a category then perhaps they will consider adding it :-)

The way books are selected now is based on how many readers vote on any given book in a certain category, regardless of cultural identity of the author. I believe in previous years there have been authors from some of backgrounds listed above nominated for their works. (I'm can't remember if any have won ...)

You can check out all the nominations, as well as previous years winners and nominees by clicking on this link:

http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards...

Start campaigning now if you want to see a new category added to the awards :-)

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 67 comments I plan to read 7 of the books on the list ( in fact, I've already read two, so 5), the sci-fi/paranormal/YA simply don't interest me and I have too many books I really WANT to read to spend time on those I don't!

message 9: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments That's the great thing about the Choice Awards. There is such a diversified selection of genres that you can still have many very good reads and choose not to read what you don't think will interest you.

I personally, have been very pleasantly surprised through other Goodreads book clubs I belong to; when I signed up on Goodreads initially I only put fiction and biographys and historical and non-fiction as my interests but through reading many book of the month choices some of my favourite reads now on my shelves are from YA, sci-fi, paranormal, etc.

No-one ever has to read what they don't want to; life is too short and there are too many good books :-)

message 10: by Narmeen (new)

Narmeen | 15 comments that's a good choice of books nicolette. i hope i could read all of them.

message 11: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) Thanks Narmmen! They are actually all of the books that were awarded the Goodreads Choice Award for 2012!

message 12: by John (new)

John Estes | 2 comments What a great idea. I can't say that I'll read them with the group, but I'll try.

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2012 comments Mod
John wrote: "What a great idea. I can't say that I'll read them with the group, but I'll try."

Thanks john, looking forward to reading with you!

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 494 comments I think that's a great idea and i'll try to read those books

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Karen wrote: "I have viewed your list of reads and did not see any Afro - American writers. I did like the children books recommended."

That's an insightful observation. I went back to the nominee list (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...), and though I didn't go through the whole list, I did discover several books by authors of African descent nominated in 2012 (for example, Half Blood Blues, The Killing Moon, and How to Be Black).

So one thing you could do would be to see if anyone is interested in a buddy read of those books in the Buddy Reads Thread. And of course vote for authors of African descent and other authors of color in next year's nominations if you agree that we need more visibility for those authors!

message 16: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty | 6 comments Great list! Looks like loads of choices to be going on with,

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5881 comments Mod
Hi moderators!

Just wondering - It looks like this list came out the end of December. Is the plan for you ladies to discuss the award winners from this year and come up with a reading schedule for the end of December again? I love that this was all planned out ahead of time (Except the extra monthly read, of course!), but I'm sure it's a lot of work to get it all set up too. I have no idea when the Goodreads winners are even nominated, voted on, or announced. So, I was just curious how it works. :)

message 18: by Savanes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

Savanes | 2012 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "Hi moderators!

Just wondering - It looks like this list came out the end of December. Is the plan for you ladies to discuss the award winners from this year and come up with a reading schedule fo..."

Kristie, GR decides which books are nominated. They must be released between the end of last year (can't remember the exact date) and the end of this year. Nominations depend on the popularity/ratings of books.
After that there are 2-3 rounds of votings to determine the winner in each category. That takes place in late november/early december (if I remember correctly). Once the winners are determined we will define a schedule for 2014 monthly readings. Of course, there will also be a new challenge. If you have any idea to spice things a bit for the challenge (I know you like those), I'll gladly hear it (you can message me about that).

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh, ok! I'll have to think on that one! :)

message 20: by Gaile (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) I have read The Light Between Oceans, The Pioneer woman cooks and Elizabeth, The queen. You should find reviews for those from me here on goodreads. I haven't read the other titles.

message 21: by Becka (new)

Becka (becka_anne) I am very excited about next year's schedule already. I also can not wait for some more challenges! How exciting! I have not read The Light Between Oceans, although I mean to. Did you enjoy it Gaile?

message 22: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Rebecca, you should definitely read The Light Between Oceans. I thought it was a wonderful read.

message 23: by Becka (new)

Becka (becka_anne) I might have to read it after I finish 'Orphan Train'. Which I am hoping to start tomorrow. I will go and order it now :)

message 24: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Me too , Lynn !

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "Rebecca, you should definitely read The Light Between Oceans. I thought it was a wonderful read."

That was one that I planned to read all year, then never had time when it was BOM. I still want to read it though. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to it the beginning of next year.

message 26: by Becka (new)

Becka (becka_anne) Maybe we could read this as a buddy read Kristie? It would be nice to have someone to read with.

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Sure! We can just plan to read it at the same time then add to the thread they already have going. I won't have time to get to it until the end of January or sometime in February though. I'm not sure it you were planning to wait that long.

message 28: by Connie (new)

Connie Wisniewski | 110 comments Karen wrote: "I have viewed your list of reads and did not see any Afro - American writers. I did like the children books recommended."Multicultural is a good idea.

message 29: by Connie (new)

Connie Wisniewski | 110 comments Multicultural is a good idea. I love to read about everything. Nothing specific. There are so many cultures in this world and they are all interesting.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Multicultural fans, now's your chance! The 2013 vote is on, and here are some nominees I noticed that appear to be non-white authors and/or authors from non-American cultures. It's not a complete list, but there are a lot of great authors/books in here you can put on your to-read list even if they don't win! (Many are on my to-read list, but the only one I've read is Americanah, and I gave it 5 stars). So go vote!

Best Fiction
And the Mountains Echoed - author from Afghanistan
The Lowland - Indian American author
Americanah - author from Nigeria
A Tale for the Time Being - Japanese American author

Best Mystery & Thriller
Police: A Harry Hole Novel - Norwegian author

Best Historical Fiction
The Valley of Amazement - Chinese American author
TransAtlantic - author from Ireland

Best Fantasy
The Ghost Bride - author of Chinese descent

Best Memoir & Autobiography
Mo' Meta Blues - African American author
The Reason I Jump - Japanese author
I Am Malala - author from Pakistan
Wave - author from Sri Lanka
Mom & Me & Mom - African American author

Jenn S.  (Book Buzz) (jennsbookbuzz) | 64 comments Are the categories going to stay the same for each month this year??

message 32: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Not necessarily Jennifer

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I didn't see a thread for The Wind Through the Keyhole yet, but I saw this cover for it and wanted to share it somewhere! I thought it was so different from all the others and so cool looking. What do you guys think ? I can't wait to see how it relates to the story.

The Dark Tower The Wind Through The Keyhole by Stephen King

This one is also really different from the one I have and I like it too:
The Wind Through the Keyhole A Dark Tower Novel (The Dark Tower, #4.5) by Stephen King

There are so many different editions. :)

message 34: by Rikke (new)

Rikke Hi!

My name is Rikke and I just joined this wonderful group. I'm excited to get started.

Just to clarify, we read the monthly selection and then come here to post our thoughts?
Apologies if I miss the process outlined somewhere.

Thanks!