Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

I have a Nook tablet, but just got an iPad....

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 77 comments I have no complaints about my nook. But I just got an iPad. Does anyone else still use their nook AND their iPad?

message 2: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) I just recently got one as well, and have a Nook Color. I find that I use my Ipad for things other than reading, and still read on my nook.

message 3: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
My husband keeps trying to talk me into a tablet (I think because he wants an exciting birthday present for me) and I keep telling him, I really want a dedicated ereader. It has features I'm not willing to give up.

message 4: by Kia (new)

Kia | 31 comments I do but my nook is a simple touch. i prefer hands down to read on the e-ink and i read outdoors a ton. i still use the ipad for everything but reading.

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 77 comments Thanks. Hubby got me the nook last year for Christmas. I have been happy with it. I think he wanted to get me a big gift this year. I was reluctant to ask for an iAd because I didn't really need it and I am fine with the nook tablet. I guess we shall see.....

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean French (jfrench55) | 82 comments I have a Nook Tablet, Simple Touch & an iPad. I don't use my iPad for reading. It's too heavy plus I prefer the e-ink for reading.

message 7: by Alysson (new)

Alysson (alysson22) | 9 comments I have both an iPad & a NST. I do all my book reading on my NST. I only read magazines (mostly with Zinio) & catalogs on my iPad. I can't read more than 20 minutes on the iPad without it hurting my eyes/giving me a headache.

message 8: by Matthew (last edited Dec 25, 2012 05:51PM) (new)

Matthew (swint) I have an iPad (3rd Gen with Retina display, which is easy on the eyes) and a Nook Color. I find that I don't use my Nook as often as I did before I got my iPad. I like reading on my iPad because I can buy books from B&N, Amazon, the Apple iBookstore, the Google Play bookstore and can download books from my local library, Feedbooks.com, Project Gutenburg, Audible, etc. all on the same device. The only thing my Nook has going for it at the moment is that it's smaller and therefore more portable than my iPad. That, and I still have a soft spot in my heart for it. :)

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments Matt wrote: "I have an iPad (3rd Gen with Retina display, which is easy on the eyes) and a Nook Color. I find that I don't use my Nook as often as I did before I got my iPad. I like reading on my iPad because I..."

I feel the same way.But commuting to work, I will use the Nook Color.

message 10: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 80 comments My sister has both the Nook Color and ipad 2. Depends on what she is doing on what one she is using. Her husband got her an ipad so they could FaceTime while he is overseas.

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 77 comments Aww... That's nice about the FaceTime... :-)

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinaedw) | 105 comments In the past I have had the Nook 1st Edition & Nook Color, but currently own a Nook Tablet & Simple Touch with Glowlight. I also have an ipad1 that was passed along to me from my son-in-law. I mostly spend time surfing on the Nook Tablet & ipad, but most of my reading is done on the STGlow. I love how light weight the STGlow is for extended reading times and is easy on the eyes. Plus love the built in light for reading at night. I hated those clip on lights! : )

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Hatfield (strwbrywn20) | 14 comments My daughter has an iPad, I have a Nook Color. She has both the kindle and nook ap on her pad. I prefer my Nook over the iPad. It's smaller and more comfortable for me. But if there isn't a book available on my Nook I purchase it from the Kindle ap!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenhun) I had a nook and stopped using it when I got my iPad. There's really no reason for both. On the iPad you can use iBooks, kindle books, and nook books.

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary (gsduran) | 8 comments I concur with Jen. I have a Nook ST which has served me well over the past year plus, including a couple weeks of backpacking in the Sierra's. At Thanksgiving time, I got an iPad mini. It is about the same size and weight as the ST, but much more versatile than the ST. My wife has he Nook tablet, and I prefer the iPad over that as well. Most of the books I read are free epub's and the iPad handles that well. It does take care of the concern I have with the Nook (and the Kindle)-being tied in to a single vendor.

Now to see about my two remaining iPad concerns-battery life and glare.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenhun) Derrick I average about 5 or 6 books a week and only sync my iPad about twice a month to empty books. I keep two folders in my iBooks a TBR and a Read.
Gary, I have a toggle on my iPad to adjust my brightness, but you don't. However if your reading in iBooks you can adjust brightness level there. Also use matte screen protectors instead of glossy. While glossy has a smoother feel the matte will help with any glare.
I don't think you can really compare an iPad to a nook or even a kindle fire really. While both nook and kindle have upped their game Apple just makes a better product and offers more overall options. I got my son an iPad mini for Xmas and he loves it too! He hasn't picked up his DS or PSP since he got it and he does read and is able to his inline math homework on it b/c there's an app for that.

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 77 comments Thank you all for the comments. The next thing I think is to figure out how to manage the books on the app. I only have a 16 gig iPad. I have 32 gig sd card in my nook. If I archive on the iPad, will it archive on my nook since its tied to my nook account

message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary (gsduran) | 8 comments Derrick wrote: "@Jen & Gary
How many books a year do you both read?"

About 30-40 books a year. Some are shorter in nature. But most are 500-1000 pages.

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary (gsduran) | 8 comments Jen wrote: "Derrick I average about 5 or 6 books a week and only sync my iPad about twice a month to empty books. I keep two folders in my iBooks a TBR and a Read.
Gary, I have a toggle on my iPad to adjust m..."

Thanks Jen for the advice

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (deekeath) I have a Nook Color, but my hubby got me an ipad mini for Christmas. I am loving it! It is so much more responsive to touch than my NC, and does so much more, also I am not confined to Nook books, but can DL from Kindle, etc now, as well. My only issue with the app vs. the real Nook/Kindle is the lack of shelving and organization...

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenhun) No I don't get eye strain. I don't have all that much time time to read so it's little bits here and there throughout the day. Plus I'm a nerd so I spend a lot of time in front of a screen.

Deanna if you download Calibre and then download all of your books from your kindle and nook apps to your computer too then you can not only convert them all to epubs. But you'll be able to open the epubs in iBooks and you can create your various shelves in there.

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments Jen wrote: "No I don't get eye strain. I don't have all that much time time to read so it's little bits here and there throughout the day. Plus I'm a nerd so I spend a lot of time in front of a screen.

Dean..."

Thanks. This a good tip. I have the Ipad 2 - 64G and the NC. I have the Calibre on my PC but never thought to put the epubs in my iBook library.

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I'm getting the Ipad4 this year, but I don't feel that I will replace my Nook HD with it. I love reading on my Nook.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Ricciuti | 5 comments I got the iPad mini for Christmas and sold my Nook color. No need for both. Love love love the iPad. Can use both nook and kindle app and download from library etc. the small size of the iPad mini is what does it for me plus the versatility.

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (deekeath) Jen wrote: "No I don't get eye strain. I don't have all that much time time to read so it's little bits here and there throughout the day. Plus I'm a nerd so I spend a lot of time in front of a screen.

Dean..."

Thanks for the tip, I had heard of calibre but never had downloaded it, I didn't realize I could use it to open everything in iBooks on my ipad. I will give it a try, thanks!

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (deekeath) Lisa wrote: "I got the iPad mini for Christmas and sold my Nook color. No need for both. Love love love the iPad. Can use both nook and kindle app and download from library etc. the small size of the iPad mini ..."

I agree! Love my mini, it does it all. I will probably be ebaying my nook color...

message 27: by Anita (new)

Anita | 2 comments While I like the smaller size of the Nook, I've been using the iPad for reading mostly because the battery life is so much better. It charges up faster and keeps its charge much longer. When I'm going out - like if I know I'll be in a waiting room or something, I still take the Nook along but otherwise, I mostly read on the iPad.

message 28: by Deb (new)

Deb (runnergirl77) | 6 comments I have both an Asus Transformer Prime tablet and a Nook tablet. They are both very different animals. Even with the apps, the tablet falls short of rivaling the reading experience of the Nook...and there are things that I can accomplish on the tablet that I can't do on the Nook. They actually compliment each other very well.

message 29: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Crain | 88 comments I have the first gen Nook, and just last week got an iPad Mini which I installed the Nook ap on. I have no intentions of getting rid of my Nook, but I also don't think I will use it that often now. Want to buy and load some books on there for my 9 yr old.

message 30: by Marlena (new)

Marlena | 3 comments After buying my iPad I found that I didn't use my Nook, so I gave my Nook to my sister. I love the iPad and recently downloaded the Overdrive app for Library books and the Kindle app. I basically manage my books through the B&N website (archive etc.). So far I haven't come across not having enough room on my iPad.

message 31: by Venus (new)

Venus Martin (VenusMartin) | 20 comments I have the Original E ink nook, nook color and just got an iPad for Christmas. I use all three depending on what I'm doing. If I'm reading by the pool I use the e ink nook, any other reading I use my nook color. The iPad is for web, Facebook and playing with apps. I can't explain why I would rather read on the nook instead of the iPad nook app. I just love my nook!

message 32: by Lisa (last edited May 15, 2013 01:35AM) (new)

Lisa (lisa-ny) | 7 comments Jean wrote: "I have a Nook Tablet, Simple Touch & an iPad. I don't use my iPad for reading. It's too heavy plus I prefer the e-ink for reading."

What do you use the NT for? Do you feel it's now an unneeded third wheel?

message 33: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 77 comments Thanks everyone for sharing. Now that I have been using my ipad for about 6 months, I am finding that it is filling up fast.... And a lot of my space is being taken up by my various ereader apps. My ipad is just a 16GB... So now... I am thinking of getting the 32 GB Nook HD plus since it is on sale!

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments I am glad you are enjoying it. I also like the Ipad mini. I thought about purchasing it and giving my Ipad 2 to my daughter. Hmmm.

message 35: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments That is a good idea Vicki, I plan to purchase an Ipad at some point this year, but can't see reading exclusively on my Ipad, I will definitely keep my Nook.

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments I don't use the IPad for reading exclusively. I use this device for so many things. It's almost my life line. Because of the cost and the amount of gigs I have, I try to use the IPad to its fullest capacity

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna | 126 comments My son got me an IPad, I still read on my nook. Put the app on my IPad but haven't set it up. Good reading everyone. :)