Stephen King Fans discussion

Talk about the Novels > The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 6 comments This is probably my favorite King book and I hope it is one day made into a movie. I think Dakota Fanning would be great for the adaptation!

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2435 comments Mod
I enjoyed this book as well. It also seems to relate to the Dark Tower don't you think?

message 3: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 59 comments I'm from Boston so I have a soft spot for this book (even if Gordon later went to play for the Yankees!) It's been made into a pop-up book for kids too. I'm not sure if the next is abridged or not, I only looked at it briefly in the store but I may get it for my son when he's older.

message 4: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I have looked for the pop-up book in the stores and can't find it. Was it a special edition?

message 5: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 59 comments I don't know, I saw it at Barnes and Noble but it was a while ago. Have you checked Amazon?

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 6 comments Borders has the pop up book on clearance for $4.99!! I'm kicking myself for not buying it! It truly is my favorite King book.

message 7: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

This is great! Is the pop-up shortened? Or is it the same story?

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve | 246 comments Nope, Angie, it's the whole thing. Even though its greatly shortened in its page count, text is found in flaps and activating the various "pop-ups". Quite an achievement in design...

message 9: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 49 comments Im Australian, so I know nothing about baseball and/or the players. However, I still gave it three stars-which in my book means 'enjoyable'. However, its my least favorite King book to date.

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I first read this one when it was first published. I was probably about 12 or 13, and I loved it. I've since read it 2 other times, but not within the last 8 years or so. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites, just because I love the DT so, but it is really good.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I really enjoyed this book.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I enjoyed it too and I also have it on audio which is even better having someone read it to you!

message 13: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia (callport) My 12 year old son is reading this right now because I had seen it recommended for the younger crowd. He's really liking it. I'll have to read it next.

message 14: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 13 comments Its a pop-up too? I had no idea!

message 15: by Alana (new)

Alana | 6 comments Just read it. It only took a day but it was a great book.

message 16: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Elizeabeth (mirandaelizeabethyearwood) | 12 comments I read it a few years back. Much shorter than other King books, but still gave me thrills :). I hadn't thought about it, but my son would probably love this book too.

message 17: by Dean (new)

Dean Henryson (dean_henryson) | 8 comments Nicole wrote: "This is probably my favorite King book and I hope it is one day made into a movie. I think Dakota Fanning would be great for the adaptation!"

I agree, Nicole. The beginning and middle held me the most, which would probably be good in a movie, but I began to get lost and felt like putting the book down at times past halfway through the book– maybe because it was so much about her thoughts rather than the action that held me at the beginning

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombeebeezee) | 38 comments Cinthia wrote: "My 12 year old son is reading this right now because I had seen it recommended for the younger crowd. He's really liking it. I'll have to read it next."

I hadn't thought about this book for "the younger crowd". It IS pretty tame for SK. I enjoyed the book when I read it several years ago. I also have the pop-up. I'm guessing it was released 4 or 5 years ago? Maybe even longer. Isn't my fav though.

message 19: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I still wish I could find the pop-up!

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Barbara wrote: "Cinthia wrote: "My 12 year old son is reading this right now because I had seen it recommended for the younger crowd. He's really liking it. I'll have to read it next."

I hadn't thought about th..."

I have the pop-up also, Barbara. It's really cool. It kind of surprised me that they would put one out, though. I really liked this story. I am not into baseball either, but as much as I couldn't follow the baseball "talk", I could still understand and appreciate her connection to the game and her favorite player!

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Rhaven (rhavenize) | 43 comments I accidentally stumbled on the pop-up of this book today. I was really excited to happen upon it.

message 22: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A | 24 comments Nicole wrote: "I accidentally stumbled on the pop-up of this book today. I was really excited to happen upon it."

You did?! YOU NEVER TELL ME ANYTHING! :P

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda | 29 comments Can you get the pop up in the UK?

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Rhaven (rhavenize) | 43 comments I'm not sure. I tried to find out something about it online, but I am not great at googling anything, sorry.

message 25: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Jul 31, 2013 07:51PM) (new)

Nicole wrote: "I accidentally stumbled on the pop-up of this book today. I was really excited to happen upon it."

Oh man! I am going to try to get this through the interlibrary loan at my library!! (the pop up that is)

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Rhaven (rhavenize) | 43 comments It's so fascinating!

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (princess1976) | 18 comments Nicole wrote: "I accidentally stumbled on the pop-up of this book today. I was really excited to happen upon it."

Where did you find it??

message 28: by Kha (new)

Kha | 10 comments I dont know anything about baseball but the way the girl survived was perfect. it is a simple and perfect novel of Stephen. not my favorite one but I liked it so much because it has his special touch. greetings from Venezuela.

message 29: by Eloisa (new)

Eloisa (elomas80) | 20 comments I bought this book in one of our local thrift store and two other books from S. King. Which are in my To Read List, hope I enjoy them as well as you all did.

message 30: by Tash (new)

Tash Dahling (MissTash) | 79 comments What a little gem this tale is!!! I had to read it in one sitting. Wonderful wonderful.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (whoshake) | 5 comments Stephen King at his best!

message 32: by Gavin (last edited May 07, 2014 07:00PM) (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 204 comments I like it so much when SK takes a small idea (like he did in Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game) an expands it into a masterfully woven tale.

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 1462 comments I really enjoyed this book and I didn't know they made a pop up book out of it. I am not really into baseball and I thought that would take me out of the story but I still loved it, simple and to the point.

message 34: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3423 comments Gavin wrote: "I like it so much when SK takes a small idea (like he did in Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game) an expands it into a masterfully woven tale."

I'm with you Gavin. I love this book and it's the number one King book I give to people who don't like horror but have heard that King is a hell of a writer. They always love it and ask for more. Than I slip them Duma Key. By the time they realize how horrific that one is... it's too late.

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3423 comments Angie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I accidentally stumbled on the pop-up of this book today. I was really excited to happen upon it."

Oh man! I am going to try to get this through the interlibrary loan at my library..."

Erin wrote: "I really enjoyed this book and I didn't know they made a pop up book out of it. I am not really into baseball and I thought that would take me out of the story but I still loved it, simple and to ..."

You can get the pop up book on ebay. I did but I have to tell you the images of the little girl are so ugly it kind of takes the joy out of it. King produced the book, and I guess he wanted to show the stress on her face, but I never once imagined her looking like that.

message 36: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3423 comments Erin wrote: "I really enjoyed this book and I didn't know they made a pop up book out of it. I am not really into baseball and I thought that would take me out of the story but I still loved it, simple and to ..."

I'm a monster baseball fan and I think the baseball aspect of the book helps those who love the sport. Baseball acts as sort of a lifeline, which it actually does when you're off and away somewhere and longing for a trace of the familiar to keep you in contact. But the book is really a survivalist book for kids... especially girls. It's really empowering for them. The kids growing sense of self is one of the great joys of the book and sharing the book with kids and seeing the grow in awareness that "maybe I can be that strong too," is amazing. The best way to do that is through the audio book, and the reading of this book by Anne Heche is one of the very very best King audios.If you're going on a trip to a national park with a bunch of kids and want to keep them mesmerized all along the way, get a copy. You'll enjoy it too.

message 37: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Nick wrote: "Angie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I accidentally stumbled on the pop-up of this book today. I was really excited to happen upon it."

Oh man! I am going to try to get this through the interlibrary loan..."

I finally got the pop-up book from my library. The pop-ups weren't that great. There were just a lot of forest scenes in it. Disappointing. I didn't actually read the book since I've read it before just checked out the pictures. I did a review and posted pictures of the inside of the book if anyone is interested: http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.co...

message 38: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3423 comments Angie wrote: "Nick wrote: "Angie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I accidentally stumbled on the pop-up of this book today. I was really excited to happen upon it."

Oh man! I am going to try to get this through the inte..."

Angie:

I thought the pop-up book was not that great... but your blog site is terrific. I'll check back often.

message 39: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (ReenieBell) | 166 comments I've heard some questionable stuff about this one (each to their own) but I managed to pick it up for 50p yesterday, it would be rude not to try it for that.

message 40: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3423 comments Reenie wrote: "I've heard some questionable stuff about this one (each to their own) but I managed to pick it up for 50p yesterday, it would be rude not to try it for that."

It's one of my favorites and the first king book I recommend to non-horror fans. It does help if you like baseball I guess. But it's really about a little girl's survival in the great north woods for 2 weeks... alone, except that she's being stalked by a bear. Tom Gordon is a baseball relief pitcher who, the year king wrote the book, was on a fabulous winning streak. His insights on how to remain cool under pressure help her.

message 41: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (ReenieBell) | 166 comments Nick wrote: "Reenie wrote: "I've heard some questionable stuff about this one (each to their own) but I managed to pick it up for 50p yesterday, it would be rude not to try it for that."

It's one of my favorit..."

Thanks for the insight Nick! I will admit that I know very little about baseball, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the story nonetheless. Fingers crossed anyway.

message 42: by Nick (last edited Apr 28, 2015 08:03AM) (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3423 comments Reenie wrote: "Nick wrote: "Reenie wrote: "I've heard some questionable stuff about this one (each to their own) but I managed to pick it up for 50p yesterday, it would be rude not to try it for that."

It's one ..."

Very resourceful little girl lost in the woods... for weeks. Plus apparently a lot of research into what it takes to survive alone out there. I'm sure you'll like it. BASEBALL HELPFUL INFO: a relief pitcher CLOSER is someone a teams manager brings into a game when the team is ahead at the very end (last one or two innings) and wants to stay ahead. The closer has to pitch to and get out the last 3 to 6 batters in the game by throwing very fast or tricky pitches that they will swing at and miss or hit to one of the defensive players. It takes cold calculation and a tremendous amount of self confidence (some say supernatural help). Tom Gordon was a closer for the Boston Red Sox that year.

message 43: by Glen (new)

Glen | 189 comments I'm not a huge baseball fan at all though I played the game growing up.
I don't think it's that necessary to know baseball to love this book but, I suppose I could be subconsciously biased being that I do have a history with the game and would be lying if it didn't bring back some childhood memories.
It's a brilliant book and a short read which doesn't come often with Mr.Kings novels. One can motor through it in a day (or if you're like me a few days, slow reader here) and be very pleased with the outcome.

message 44: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (ReenieBell) | 166 comments I'm quite excited that this will be Septembers group read, as it may finally give me the kick up the backside to get on and read it.

message 45: by Cody (new)

Cody Vaters | 118 comments This was the first King book I read (age 12) and is still one of my favourites :)

message 46: by Ron (new)

Ron | 134 comments I'm looking forward to this one too. I thought King had a specific reason for writing it, but I could be off.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3236 comments I didn't love this when it came out, but did end up loving the pop-up book and liking it better upon re-read, although that almost always seems to be the case for me.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to hit my mother up to borrow her book so I can read along with everybody.

message 49: by Michael (new)

Michael | 24 comments Miranda (M.E.) wrote: "I read it a few years back. Much shorter than other King books, but still gave me thrills :). I hadn't thought about it, but my son would probably love this book too."

It is indeed one of his shorter novels. Here are the word counts of his books using the Calibre plug in (separated in groups of 10).

Stand: 477960
It: 450205
Under the Dome: 336946
11/22/63: 276795
Talisman: 274237
Dark Tower: 273063
The Tommyknockers: 262340
Needful Things: 262293
Wizard and Glass: 260939
Black House: 250376

Wolves of the Calla: 246381
Insomnia: 246202
Dreamcatcher: 228964
Bag of Bones: 210839
Duma Key: 206557
Desperation: 196537
Christine: 194307
Hears in Atlantis: 194195
Salem’s Lot: 194177
Lisey’s Story: 185128

Rose Madder: 177280
The Waste Lands: 176427
Doctor Sleep: 163153
The Shining: 162089
Dark Half: 158939
Dead Zone: 154917
Firestarter: 154635
Pet Sematary: 144743
Green Mile: 137775
Gerald’s Game: 135472

Song of Sussannah: 128694
From A Buick 8: 128296
Drawing of the Three: 127871
Regulators: 123593
Cell: 123230
Cujo: 121467
Misery: 115273
Eyes of the Dragon: 104014
Thinner: 98184
Roadwork: 94416

The Wind Through the Keyhole: 94137
Dolores Claiborne: 93687
The Plant: 89671
Long Walk: 88793
Joyland: 85983
Blaze: 82680
The Gunslinger: 68086
The Running Man: 66595
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: 62585
Rage: 54569

Carrie: 61691
Colorado Kid: 35989
Little Sisters of Eluria: 34442
Cycle of the Werewolf: 16098

message 50: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3423 comments It's a book I give everyone I know who doesn't like horror. Everyone reads it and loves it. We also play the audio book for anyone who goes with us on a long trip. We've played the great audio version maybe 6 times on trips and often for the same friends or family. It's great for mature kids.

« previous 1 3