Book-a-holics discussion

Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Gianelli (katie094) | 236 comments Mod
If anyone has any suggestions that they would like to put foreward I would love to hear them. Since we are just starting out I would like to draw in more members as well as making the club more fun for those already in it.
If you guys have any ideas for events, contests, challenges, or just topics please share them here and I will take them into consideration.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) Can we have a theme one month? Like a book that has a star on the front. Or like a book that was a movie.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Blueturtles wrote: "Can we have a theme one month? Like a book that has a star on the front. Or like a book that was a movie."

If you read "How this club works" you will see that that is what will happen. I believe I have already addressed this in a previous post of yours.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) NOOOOOO! You said you would pick a genre.

message 5: by Katie (new)

We have a theme suggestions box. There you may post any sort of theme you like. If you want a book with a star on the front of it then you may suggest that. The theme can be anywhere from genre, first letter, cover art, seasonal, ANYTHING IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. On the first of the month I will pick a theme.. whether it be a genre, cover art, first letter, seasonal ANYTHING!

If you would like to suggest a theme then we have a thread for that where which you may recommend any theme your heart desires.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) thank you:)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) when we start reading our book could you put up the video for it?

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 14 comments i like that idea!

message 9: by Katie (new)

What do you mean a video?

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 14 comments i think what she meant was the book trailer

message 11: by Katie (new)

Hannah wrote: "i think what she meant was the book trailer"

I guess I could do that if I found the time. Or maybe a member could sign up to do it each month? I think that's a good idea though!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) yeah! that kind of stuff makes me want to read it.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Would that be something people are willing to do? Sign up to make book trailers each month?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) i could if someone tells me how.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) Ok... Yes the poll did have a lot of book in it. You could put a limint of books that go into the poll. You could also rule out books you don't think you would be good for your group. Help any?

message 16: by Katie (new)

A QUESTION FOR YOU ALL:

This is regarding prizes!!

I think prizes and rewards are fun ways to have incentives and to showcase the people who work hard through this club. I have a few ideas for prizes but aren't totally sure.
My best idea is a bookmark that I would make and mail to you guys...but my concern with that is some people may not want to give their address out, even if it's a personal messege to me because I don't know any of you in real life and I realize there are safety concerns.
I like the idea of virtual gift cards but I don't like the fact that I'm tight on cash??

Does anyone have any suggestions!!??

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (rrrjtl) | 81 comments I think bookmarks is a fun idea! Virtual gift cards are awesome but I do completely understand funds being tight. Maybe do those for something really special. Like 1 for the person who reads the most books at the end of the year or something. Another option might be letting someone choose the book for the next month, or choosing the theme. Just a couple of thought off the top of my head.

message 18: by Katie (new)

Becky wrote: "I think bookmarks is a fun idea! Virtual gift cards are awesome but I do completely understand funds being tight. Maybe do those for something really special. Like 1 for the person who reads the..."

Oooooh, I like the picking the book idea!! I'll definitely do that sometime =) Thanks Becky

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (rrrjtl) | 81 comments Glad I could help!

message 20: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Bookmark sounds fine. I don't have a problem giving my address in a personal message, besides hopefully by the end of the year people in the group will be comfortable enough with each other to call us all friends.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) I would be ok with handing out my address but not directly to my house. And my parents wouldn't like people to know where we live. We could get it sent to where we/parents work. If it is ok with the owner.

I like the picking the book/theme idea. It is really easy to do and wouldn't be a big deal. (as in safty,it is a cool prize)

I also wouldn't make a big deal out of changing up the prizes. That would be simple and a realy cool prize. We should focous on reading anyway. :D

message 22: by Vikki (new)

Vikki Katie, you could always let the winners choose from a "list" of prides. Some people may not want to pick a book for all to read while others may not want to give out addresses. Personally, I would be happy with any...even if its just a star or smiley face post. Haha...I'm pretty easy to please that way. :)

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (rrrjtl) | 81 comments I think that's an awesome idea Vikki!

message 24: by Katie (new)

Ok, this is what I think I'm going to do:

My main idea was to create a bookmark for each book that we read as a group. Each person who finishes the book by the deadline will receive the bookmark either:
a. in the mail if they are willing to give their address
b. a virtual copy (banner image, widget, whatever you can call it) that will be sent through a link to your goodreads account.
This way everyone who wants to be secure or doesn't feel comfortable still will be able to participate.

As for other prizes, I haven't come up with the contests ideas but I do like the idea of being able to chose a topic or the next book. I've also been thinking of something like being able to create their own challenge or something like that

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (rrrjtl) | 81 comments I think that sounds awesome!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) me too!

message 27: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Sounds good to me.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) FOUND IT!!!!!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) ok this is what i was going to say: can we do the weekly Q. again? it was fun even though i was (probly) the only one who did it.

message 30: by Katie (new)

I'm thinking about maybe bringing that back sometime. I never really kept up with it myself so I may make a list of a bunch of them so I don't get behind again

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) you could do it by month instead.