The Demigod Diaries (The Heroes of Olympus) The Demigod Diaries discussion

What does everyone think of the last story, the one that his son wrote?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Taurus In my opinion it was easily the best in the whole book but the author (I mean his son)should expand to a different genere because it didn't really fit with the actual story.
What does anyone else think?

GinAndCats I loved it

message 3: by G (new)

G For being only sixteen, Haley Riordan is a great author. If he wrote novels, I would probably read them. Plus his story helped to clear up the questions I had always wondered. Loved it.

Kiernan Malik It sounds like Rick wrote it himself.. it's still awesome though

BubblesTheMonkey I noticed a pretty big difference in their writing styles and it seemed that his son's was more sophisticated. I'm not saying Riordan can't write as well as his son, but Rick purposefully wrote it for a younger audience's book and his son wrote for a slightly higher level of readers.

Chace I agree with ^^ (bubblesthemonkey). I think Haley (Rick's son) did a pretty good job but there's a noticeable discrepancy between his and Rick's writing style. Haley's has a more serious tone(thus, making it a bit less fun, for me, honestly.)

Nishtha It was the only story in the book that I liked.Other stories were alright but not as good as the last one.Haley Riordan is a very good writer indeed.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Like everyone else said, he is a very good writer. And the most important thing is that his writing is different from his father.
I would like Haley's characters interact with Percy, it would be very interesting...

Mikela i really like it!

Emily He isn't nearly as good as his father, but still amazing and better than I could ever write...

Grace Chacy wrote: "I agree with ^^ (bubblesthemonkey). I think Haley (Rick's son) did a pretty good job but there's a noticeable discrepancy between his and Rick's writing style. Haley's has a more serious tone(thus,..."

true, i also agree with bubblesthemonkey. Haley's is more sophisticated. But both are definitely great! and for a 16-year old? Wow.

Sheila Not a fan. I hate the way we are supposed to have sympathy for that kid who bad-mouths Percy. Totally rooting for Percy 1000000000% in the Titans vs. Olympians war. Rick Riordan is WAY better! (well-duh!)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Son of Magic was my favorite story in the book. I couldn't believe a sixteen year old wrote it. While it doesn't have characters we know well or a gripping first line, the style of it is sophisticated and the vocabulary more serious than The Diary of Luke Castellan or Percy Jackson and the Staff of Hermes or Leo Valdes and the Quest for Buford (one of my favorites). It's especially good considering the writer has dyslexia and ADHD. Rick is better, but Haley has potential and a talent inherited from his father. If he wrote novel's I'd definitely read the,.

message 14: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Sort of confusing but good for a kid

message 15: by Dani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dani Ablack I think Hayley has a darker, more sofisticated style like others have mentioned and Rick's books are set for a younger audience. Thus, the writing style is noticebly different. I don't belive one to be better than the other; they both have original writing styles. In spite of the fact that, in this specific book, I enjoyed Hayley's story the best, I still love Rick's books. It honestly depends on the mood I'm in and what I feel like reading.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the Riordans will become the Kennedy's of the literary world

Rizka Arianti The story was very well writen considering the author is only 16 years old. Rick's son definitely has the skill. With some help, I think he'll be a good writer in the future. Way to go, Haley!

message 18: by Zak (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zak I think like many people have said Haley seems more sophisticated but if you think about it Uncle Rick wasn't going for sophisticated he was more aware of his audience. Haley is a good writer but it will probably take him a while before he is able to alter his style to suit the audience effectively- the style he has got down is cool though.

I liked the idea but bad mouthing Percy cmon, that is a great way to keep Alabaster from resurfacing.