SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
This topic is about Prince of Thorns
All Book Discussions > Prince of Thorns (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
A discussion thread for our January BoM. Spoilers are permitted.

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I see this is going for 1.99 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...

But not for Africa :(

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Well, not quite the 1.99 special, but we can still get it for R26 :)
Kobobooks link
40% off code : bargainmoose40

Ooh, this has been on my TBR-list way too long. Can't wait to read it.

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Nice!

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
I will be joining in for this read

Riana | 397 comments Has anyone started reading this yet?

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
I read it last year when it came out. Not sure how much of it I'll be able to remember, but I'll pitch in on the discussion when there's something to discuss.

message 8: by Jax (last edited Jan 03, 2013 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Just Started Reading Prince of Thorns.

So far, I'm enjoying it! Even with the odd places where the phrasing seems all messed up...
Its a really gritty sort of world...
Just reached Chapter 8... so still have a way to go.

message 9: by Jax (last edited Jan 04, 2013 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Half way through now...
Not entirely sure how I feel about the cross over in eras. I can't say it detracts from the story or that it 'interrupts' the flow - but it sort of nags at me personally.

Likes so far
The Protagonist isn't the usual "good guy" hero.
He's dark, often amoral and gritty.
The character interaction is very well written, and believable.

Dislikes so far
I'm not sure it really classes as a dislike, but I'm not entirely a fan of the references from -lets call it- reality. Again it doesn't really detract from the story but I'm not sure I like that my fantasy world is a little too close a dystopian medieval earth.

other than that though, I have no complaints.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else's thoughts are so far??
I have a list of questions so far, which I'll post in a separate post.

message 10: by Jax (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Questions:

The series is called the Broken Empire, so, what Broke it? It would appear it was already Broken by the time the protagonists story begins, but no mention of how it came to be that way.

Missing pieces from the Protagonists memory.
What happened from the period where he has no memory?

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Riana (last edited Jan 04, 2013 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Riana | 397 comments I liked the main character, but at times it was hard to keep in mind that he is so young. Obviously it adds to the dark side of the story and it isna different era, but to me it wasn't convincing enough.

Apart from that I it was okay, a few interesting phrases and ways of saying things that I liked. I actually think the reason I did not like it more is because of the jumping around between eras. I think you would have been able to connect better with the character if it played out from beginning to end.

As for your questions, I am getting the idea that the book started of right after a happily ever after king and queen story. So I think what "broke" the empire is the brutal murder of the queen and her other son. Jorg was the heir and all was good, but after he went on the run and his father re-married things kind of fell apart.

What is your theory?

I didn't really feel anything important was left out with the memories, maybe after your finished reading all the grey areas would be more clear?

As fornthe rest of the questions, they do get revealed in time, so I am going to zip it up for now :-)

message 12: by Jax (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Okay I finished reading Prince of Thorns.
Will most likely continue with the series to see if my plethora of questions do in fact get answered or not. (sadly, most of them have been left unanswered as at the end of Bk1)

@ Riana - I don't think the queens murder was the reason for the breaking of the empire - the breaking of Jorg, most certainly - but not the empire.
As it was, They knew trouble was coming and they tried to get the princes to safety before the riders attacked.
Secondly - (view spoiler) if that be the case, the Empire was certainly not in a state of peace prior to the queens death.

I didn't really feel anything important was left out with the memories
I'm not sure I can agree with you on this one...
I get the feeling that it was something that happened during this period that (view spoiler)

Overall - I quite enjoyed the read. I'll probably give it a 4star rating.
Very well written, but I feel the author cheated a little on the world building. Bringing too much of reality into it (as shown in the philosophy & religion). And as an avid Fantasy Reader, I'm a bit of a snob in this regard.
His characters and Plot however, definitely earn 5 stars!!

Jax wrote: "Very well written, but I feel the author cheated a little on the world building. Bringing too much of reality into it (as shown in the philosophy & religion). And as an avid Fantasy Reader, I'm a bit of a snob in this regard."

It's been almost a year since I've read this, but if I remember correctly I got the sense that it's actually set in our world long after some tragedy wiped out technological civilization. This can be seen from the bits of tech they come across.

message 14: by Jax (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Crusader - I didn't really get that from Prince of Thorns.?
But someone else has assured me that some of it gets better explained in King of Thorns. So I'm looking forward to getting that...
I felt more along the lines Michael J. Sullivan felt regarding the cross-overs.
Like I said though... it didn't really detract from the story - just threw me off slightly. :)
And as unfair as it may be, I'm comparing his world-building to other fantasy writers, such as Sanderson, Sullivan, Jordan and Feist.

I may have to revise previous comments after reading King of Thorns...;D

I would love to exchange theories with anyone else who's finished the book - but hasn't yet gone on to King of Thorns... :D

When I reviewed it I wrote The story is set in what initially appears to be an ordinary medieval world, but through various hints and references throughout the story it becomes apparent that this is actually a post-apocalyptic Earth where humanity has reverted back to the dark ages. The fact that some technology still exists plays an important role in the plot, which I thought made for an excellent twist and has lots of potential.

I'm fuzzy on the details now, but I think there's an old computer in it and the explosive device is a form of an atomic bomb.

I'm starting this one tonight...

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments What colour is Jorg's hair? I'm asking because of the Dr. Who challenge. I know the King's hair is black and little William had honey-coloured hair, but did I miss him mentioning his own?

Sorry, I don't remember from what I have read

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I agree with Crusader that the world seems to be a kind of post-apocalyptic Earth. It would be very interesting to find out more about that.

Coming from reading The Wheel of Time, where every action is stretched out and described to the point of driving the reader (me at least) insane, this was such a pleasantly paced book! When they set out for Gelleth, it's a long road and I thought ah, so that's what the rest of the book will be about surely - the journey there and the fight, right? But then on the next page, whoop, there they were! I had to page back to see if I misread where they were heading. Yet I didn't feel cheated by the left out journey ( I do love my journeys), because right away more action followed. We get to read all the good stuff, without any boring bits. I need to read more Fantasy like this.

Ok, finished. It got two stars because I didn't really enjoy it. Not sure what it was that I didn't enjoy but I just didn't. It wasn't bad enough to give up on, but I won't be reading the next one.