Jane Eyre Jane Eyre question

GCSE English
Kate Kate (last edited Dec 22, 2012 11:12AM ) Dec 22, 2012 11:12AM
Hi all,

I'm hoping to train as an English teacher, and I have a interview for a uni in February. Over this year and next I am trying to read and make notes on as many books that are featured in GCSE English. If you have recently (in last 10 years) sat your exams, it would be really helpful if you could tell me the texts you studied.

Thank you in advance
Kate

If I were an English teacher, I'd teach To Kill A Mockingbird to show what fiction can be, and then In Cold Blood to show non-fiction using the tools of fiction and get into the bios of the writers. I think it's better to teach students about the writing process than analysis of symbols.

Kressel Housman It would. Also, there's a good bio on Harper Lee called Mockingbird. ...more
Jan 17, 2013 09:07AM

We did Pride and Prejudice, Of Mice and Men, An Inspector Calls and Romeo and Juliet. There was also an Anthology of poems...can't remember much about that though!
I think my brother studied Lord of the Flies (he borrowed my copy), don't know what else though.

Sarah Lord of the Flies is amazing!! You should definitely read it. And Pride and Prejudice is much more fun after school. I didn't re-read it until my 1st ...more
Jan 06, 2013 11:15AM · flag

Of Mice and Men.

For my GCSEs I read An Inspector Calls, Romeo and Juliet, About a Boy and Of Mice and Men

Catcher In The Rye is one of the books our school has used, as is Of Mice & Men.

Hey, I was 'top set' so had to study a set Anthology. However the other sets had to read Of Mice and Men. My set also did an essay on The Taming of the Shrew.

For SATs my set studied Lord of the Flies, I cannot recall what the others looked at.

Hope this helps!

I studied Macbeth, Lord of the Flies, A View from the Bridge. The other class in my year studied To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet and The death of a Salesman.