One Hundred Years of Solitude One Hundred Years of Solitude question

Your thoughts on the ending?

to my mind, the story of Buendia family is a story of humane kind, with its wars, greed for wealth and entertainment, not caring enough for own children, not even capable of making themselves happy (each and every character felt himself lonely). And at the end comes a hurricane (a metaphor for great flood) and destroyed this vicious circle of adultery, unloving hearts, cruelty and pointless vanity. At the end, why to live if no one could make anybody happy in 100 years.

ahoora I like your summery
Mar 23, 2014 03:51PM · flag

As a latin myself, I read the book in the original spanish and I can say that perhaps something is lost in the translation, because for me it was midly clear that the book followed the structure of the bible, which makes perfect sense considering that in latin america religion plays an important part of people's lives (even if you are not a believer).

Hana If you don't mind, could you expand on your comment. ...more
Feb 10, 2014 10:06PM · flag

Is it that, like the child of incest eventually being born with a pig's tail, that Macondo itself had a prewritten history and is therefore predestined for destruction?

You have to go back to the beginning of the book, where Ursula and Jose Arcadio got married, they were cousins and they were afraid to consummate their marriage because they had a family member, another cousin whose parents where cousins as well, and he had a son with a pig's tail. Finally Ursula and Jose Arcadio consummated their marriage and their children were born normal. As you continue with the book you find a lot of tragedies, incest and children that a fruit of loveless marriages and therefore a "curse" for all the Buendias. By the end the last of the Aurelianos falls in love with his aunt (Amaranta Ursula, who committed adultery since she was married to Gaston) without knowing she was his aunt and out this incest love comes out a child, the first out of "real" love in a 100 years and this child is born with a pig's tail, the mother dies at childbirth. The child dies being eaten by ants and with his death is the end of the Buendias. The end of the Buendias was written a hundred years earlier in Melquiades' book foreseeing the end of the family's curse of solitude by the birth of a child out of love.

Kori (last edited Sep 19, 2013 03:13PM ) Sep 19, 2013 03:08PM   -2 votes
The last lines in the book are the best in the novel, poetic and lovely on their own terms.

Unfortunately, and at huge risk of offending, I thought the book as a whole was a huge piece of post modern wankery. It's a classic example of an author or artist failing to come clean with their audience because they have produced something that rests in a haze of vague structure and intention. It's a book that appeals because readers can step in and impose their own authority about what it means - because the author himself has failed produce any meaning of their own.

I held out hope that the original Spanish offered more, but every person of latin descent I've spoken to about it has said much the same thing.