Challenge Yourself discussion

2012 Archives > 2012 Results

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:43AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 353 comments Mod
Let me know if you add anything in the next three days. Unfortunarely challenges can not be archived. In creaing the 2013 ones, the 2012 ones were deleted.

Report your changes and corrections to me by 6 January 2013.

message 2: by Almeta (last edited Dec 26, 2012 08:20AM) (new)

I feel sure that many people completed their challenges from 2012, whose results have not shown up on the challenge tickers. This could be because of bugs in the Beta test program, or it could be that some people have deleted or re-named their bookshelves for the 2013 season.

I am glad to have these challenges. I personally would not have read many of the books that I did, had I not challenged myself to tackle them; especially short stories, and non-fiction.

I am in the midst of have finished compiling the results for all that were posted. Give me a couple days to tally them, then if you do not see your appropriate results, let me know and I will make the corrections.

KUDOS to everyone who participated.

message 3: by Almeta (last edited Jan 10, 2013 04:36AM) (new)

2012 Challenge Yourself Results

about you It's all about you! Reading books that reveal something about yourself
3 participants completed their goal
Snoozie Sue
Debra T
Almeta

audio-books Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Reading a certain number of audio-books.
Snoozie Suzie has read 0 books toward her goal of 35 books.
Linda B. has surpassed her goal by reading 21 of 20. Congratulations!
Debra T has read 6 books toward her goal of 12 books. Really only six?
Osho has went beyond her goal by reading 63 of 50 books Yippee!
Darkpool has read 22 books toward her goal of 24 books. I know you must have done two more!
Almeta has passed her goal by reading 10 of 5 books

author's work Rick's Authorization Reading a certain author's work
Debra T has read 2 books toward her goal of 6 books. Who were you supposed to be reading?
Almeta has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Yep, I didn't read a single one of author Haruki Murakami's books. I've had a couple of them checked out but returned them unread; the size is daunting!..

awards And The Award Goes To...Read books given awards.
Bex did you read 5 past winners of each award from Carnegie & Kate Greenaway?

big books Darkpool’s Doorstopper Reading those big books that you've been avoiding.
Maria has read 0 books toward her goal of 10 books.
Elizabeth S has read 10 books toward her goal of 10. Just made it!
Snoozie Suzie has passed her goal by reading 6 of 5 booksGood Job!
Artemisia has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Luisa has surpased her goal by reading 7 of 6 books Good Job!
Mirely has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Bex Tamblin has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Patty has read 0 books toward her goal of 3 books.
Beth A. has completed her goal of reading 7 books Way to go Beth
Darkpool has read 2 books toward her goal of 10 books.
Deborah has passed her goal by reading 6 of 5 books. That's a lot of pages!
Almeta Marrs has passed her goal by reading 6 of 5 books

book reviews Reviews To Do Taking the time to complete book reviews.
Snoozie Suzie has surpassed her goal by reading 68 of 37 books Great Contribution
Luisa has read 7 books toward her goal of 12 books.
Mirely has read 0 books toward her goal of 140 books.
The Party-Pooping UHQ Nasanta has read 10 books toward a goal of 50 books.
Patty has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
Deborah has read 81 books toward her goal of 120 books.
Almeta has read 86 books toward her goal of 150 books. Not happy about this!

books to movie or television Bex's Book to Other Media Reading a number of books and also watching the movie or television show based on the books.
Darkpool has read 4 books toward her goal of 5 books. I'll bet you watched one more movie
Bex has read 5 books toward her goal of 10 books.
Almeta has surpassed her goal by reading 35 of 15 books for the Love the flickers!

Boxall's Catalog of 1001 books Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Reading from Boxall's Catalog of 1001 books.
I'll bet everyone has read more than this, and just didn't check to see if the books read were on the list.
Hannah C has read 1 book toward her goal of 20 books.
Judy has read 13 books toward her goal of 15 books.
Debra T has read 3 books toward her goal of 10 books.
Almeta has completed her goal of reading 5 books.

certain shelves Challenge Yourself Reading a certain number of books from certain shelves. Shelving Unit
Judy has read 0 books toward her goal of 50 books.
Carmen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
Debra T has surpassed her goal by reading 41 of 30 books. Dedicated, Debra!
Darkpool has read 11 books toward her goal of 20 books.
Mirely has read 0 books toward her goal of 140 books.
Patty has read 1 book toward her goal of 15 books.
Almeta has read 12 books toward her goal of 40 books.

classics Now That Was Classic R Reading the Classics.
Hanna met her goal by reading 8 of 8 books. Kudos
Almeta has read 11 books toward her goal of 12 books.

fictional genres That's Unreal Reading fictional genres.
Debra T has passed her goal by reading 57 of 50 books. For Horror, Debra?
Kevin has read 7 books toward his goal of 33 books.
Beth A. has read 2 books toward her goal of 6 books.
Almeta Marrs has passed her goal by reading 108 of 50 books. Love my Mysteries. I am actually surprised at this, because I have been complaining about been far away from my genre.

50 United Nations countrie UN International Challenge Reading 50 books from each of the first 50 countries to join the United Nations.
Cheryl Wright has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
Almeta Marrs has passed her goal by reading 8 of 5 books. Did more for Around the World, but they didn't belong to the United Nations

GoodReads authors GoodReads Authorization Reading more GoodReads Authors.
Nicolle has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
Luisa has read 11 books toward her goal of 12 books. Not one more?
Carmen has read 0 books toward her goal of 24 books.
Deborah has surpassed her goal by reading 99 of 80 books. Good supporter!
Joan Wise has read 0 books toward her goal of 10 books.
Darkpool has completed her goal of reading 10 books.
Almeta Marrs has surpassed her goal by reading 39 of 15 books.

Guardian's 1000 Guardian's 1000 Novels Reading selected works by the Guardian's Review team and a panel of expert judges.
Guardian website
Bex has read 0 books toward her goal of 3 books.
Snoozie Suzie has surpassed her goal by reading 14 of 10 books. Good Attention!
Almeta has completed her goal of reading 5 books. I really did not check on this one very often.

home library Climb Every Mountain Clearing the Home Library shelves. Note the Nov. 2011 start date.
Stefania has completed her goal of reading 50 books On the Nose!
Isabell has read 23 books toward her goal of 75 books.
Deborah has read 11 books toward her goal of 15 books.
Maria has read 21 books toward her goal of 30 books.
Artemisia has read 0 books toward her goal of 60 books.
Patty has read 14 books toward her goal of 25 books.
Cheryl in CC NV has read 244 books toward a goal of 300 books. Really good try!! That's a lot.
Anki has read 41 books toward a goal of 80 books.
Darkpool has read 11 books toward her goal of 12 books.
Almeta has read 38 books toward her goal of 100 books.

home library Home Alone Reading books from our private library during the year 2012.
Isabell has read 15 books toward her goal of 24 books.
Hanna Li has read 23 books toward her goal of 25 books. ooh, so close
Deborah has read 12 books toward her goal of 12 books. Nice.
Luisa has surpassed her goal by reading 51 of 50 books Good Job!
Alexis has read 0 books toward her goal of 60 books.
Patty has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
Anki has read 33 books toward a goal of 80 books.
Darkpool has read 8 books toward her goal of 10 books. ooh, so close
Osho has read 22 books toward her goal of 50 books.
Nell has read 41 books toward her goal of 50 books.
Almeta has read 32 books toward her goal of 94 books.
I failed miserably at this challenge. It was supposed to be my main goal. I'll get it next year!

non-fiction It's All Too Real Reading non-fiction.
Deborah has surpased her goal by reading 56 of 50 Congratulations!
Debra T has read 7 books toward her goal of 12 books.
Linda B. has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Luisa has surpassed her goal by reading 7 of 6 books Congratuations!
Snoozie Suzie has surpasseded her goal by reading 21 of 20 books Congratulations
Darkpool has read 3 books toward her goal of 7 books.
Almeta has surpassed her goal by reading 8 of 5.

published date Yearbook Reading books published in a certain year.
Cindie has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Almeta has read 4 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Bex Tamblin has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books

second language Luisa's Rosetta Stone Reading books in a second language.
Tracy B has read 0 books toward her goal of 15 books.
Luisa has read 11 books toward her goal of 12 books. Luisa!!! There must have been one more.

self-improvement Help Yourself Reading Self-Improvement books.
Paulette has read 39 books toward her goal of 50 books.
Suzanne has read 2 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Artemisia has read 1 book toward her goal of 3 books.
Nell has read 2 books toward her goal of 6 books.
Debra T has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
(According to the code, Almeta has completed her goal by reading 226 of 5 (4520%)!!! Which is laughable, because although I read more non-fiction than usual, I don't think one of them were in the category of self-help!)

series Serial Eyes Catching up with the next books in our favorite reading series.
Linda B has read 4 books toward her goal of 20 books.
Debra T has read 8 books toward her goal of 25 books.
Kevin has read 47 books toward his goal of 50 books. Kevin!!!! Just three more!!!
Darkpool has surpassed her goal, reading 16 of 15 books. Congratulations!
Almeta has completed her goal of reading 25 books, 71 of 25 (284%)

small books and short stories Mirely's Short Cut Reading books of 100 pages or less.
Artemisia has read 0 books toward her goal of 5 books.
Snoozie Suzie has completed her goal of reading 10 books Congratulations!
Deborah has read 39 books toward her goal of 45 books. So Close!Luisa has completed her goal of reading 15 books Congratulations!
Bex has read 4 books toward her goal of 5 books. ONE MORE?
Mirely has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
Almeta has completed her goal of reading 20 books.

message 4: by Almeta (last edited Dec 26, 2012 08:21AM) (new)

Okay the Results are all posted. Again let me know about corrections.

Off to create the 2013 Catalog now!!!

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) Some of the links for the challenges aren't working, like the audiobook one. I had to go and update some of my challenges as the numbers reported were not correct. I've definitely read more ebooks and non-fiction than originally reported.

message 6: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 101 comments Almeta wrote: "2012 Challenge Yourself Results
big books Darkpool’s Doorstopper Reading those big books that you've been avoiding.
Maria has read 0 books toward her goal of 10 books.
Elizabeth S has read 9 books toward her goal of 10 books. There must have been one more
..."

There is almost one more. I'm working on my last one and planning to finish on New Year's Eve. Should I just report here when I finish? Too bad the challenges don't continue right through to the end. Sigh.

message 7: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 54 comments Thank you for collating those results - I'm away from my computer until after the new year so it's a bit of a challenge to check on my progress via the phone.

message 8: by Almeta (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:45AM) (new)

Elizabeth S wrote: "Elizabeth S wrote: "Should I just report here when I finish? Too bad the challenges don't continue right through to the end. Sigh..."..."

Challenges can't be moved nor can they be archived. It is really my fault that they were prematurely removed, as I created the 2013 ones.☻

Yes, just report corrections and additions to me (by 6 January) and I'll adjust the results.

message 9: by Almeta (new)

Debra wrote: " I've definitely read more ebooks and non-fiction than originally reported. ..."

Let me know what needs adjusting and I will do it manually.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I've got a couple more already, and will read some more before the end of the year, to Climb Every Mountain. *But* I will not ask you to adjust. I figure, we actually started that one back in late 2011, so these last this year can go on my 2013 list.

Thank you for all your support Almeta! It's too bad GR isn't as helpful as it could be, by making it possible for you to move and/ or archive. But I'm still very happy & grateful for what we do have. :)

message 11: by Almeta (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I've got a couple more already, and will read some more before the end of the year, to Climb Every Mountain. *But* I will not ask you to adjust. ..."

I will be happy to make theadjustment.

Ths is a category that I felt closest to you about. Still I didn't make much of a dent. I am absolutely going to do better on the Home Alone challenge for 2013!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Ok, since you're not starting the new challenges until the new year, (which is indeed the best way to do it! :), I guess I will have to ask for the adjustment.

Um, in the last few days I read, and today am reviewing,
Flight Maps
The Pirates! in an adventure with scientists
One Good Turn
A Pride of Princesses
The Machine Stops

I'll read a few more before midnight Jan 31... :)

message 13: by Almeta (last edited Dec 27, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Ok, since you're not starting the new challenges until the new year, (which is indeed the best way to do it! :), I guess I will have to ask for the adjustment.

Um, in the last few days I read, an..."

Are these for the Climb Every Mountain and/or Home Alone? And for the review challenge? Any others?

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Just for Climb Every Mountain. I'll let you know at the very end of the year what else I finish, or maybe I'll have to wait until Jan 1 if I finish something in bed the night before... Hope that's ok!

message 15: by Almeta (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:49AM) (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Just for Climb Every Mountain. I'll let you know at the very end of the year what else I finish, or maybe I'll have to wait until Jan 1 if I finish something in bed the night before... Hope that'..."

Added your six.

With the holidays, I imagine everyone will need time to revirew everything and report.

How about 'til 6 January?

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) epiphany - sounds good

message 17: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 101 comments Okay, just finished a reread of The Holy Bible, which counts for my last doorstopper of 2012!

And I'm looking forward to setting goals for 2013 tomorrow. Thanks for all the work, Almeta.

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 31 comments None of my numbers were correct. Other people should check their numbers too and not just add the ones you just finished. I created a test 2012 in my group and then I just changed the shelf for each challenge I wanted to verify.

Deborah has read 4 books toward her goal of 5 books. Come On! One More.
6 of 5

book reviews Reviews To Do Taking the time to complete book reviews.
Deborah has read 49 books toward her goal of 120 books.

GoodReads authors GoodReads Authorization Reading more GoodReads Authors.
Deborah has surpassed her goal by reading 89 of 80 books for the Good supporter!
99 of 80

home library Home Alone Reading books from our private library during the year 2012.
Deborah has read 9 books toward her goal of 12 books.
12 of 12

non-fiction It's All Too Real Reading non-fiction.
Deborah has surpased her goal by reading 53 of 50 Congratulations!
56 of 50

small books and short stories Mirely's Short Cut Reading books of 100 pages or less.
Deborah has read 37 books toward her goal of 45 books. So Close!
39 of 45

message 19: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) The challenges seem to be a little broken. I go through occasionally and click "view books" and that updates my numbers.

message 20: by Nell (new)

Nell Home Alone Reading books from our private library during the year 2012.
Nell read 41 books toward her goal of 50

message 21: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (last edited Jan 01, 2013 10:59AM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I'm going to have to trust the numbers. But I do need 5 more books added to Climb Every Mt. - the week between Xmas and New Year's was good to me. Thanks!

message 22: by Almeta (last edited Jan 04, 2013 10:07AM) (new)

Elizabeth S wrote: "Okay, just finished a reread of The Holy Bible, which counts for my last doorstopper of 2012!"

Now that's a Doorstopper!

I updated your tally.

message 23: by Almeta (new)

Deborah wrote: "None of my numbers were correct. Other people should check their numbers too and not just add the ones you just finished. I created a test 2012 in my group and then I just changed the shelf for each challenge I wanted to verify..."

I have made your changes Deborah. Good job!!!

message 24: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 101 comments :) Thank you!

message 25: by Almeta (last edited Jan 04, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Beth A. wrote: "The challenges seem to be a little broken. I go through occasionally and click "view books" and that updates my numbers."

I have to actually re-insert the shelf name in order to get mine to update. (We used to get a drop-down menu to show the shelves, now I have to toggle over in order to remember how I spelled the shelf, before I input it. Sometimes, I don't get the dashes in correctly and end up creating a mess before I get the correct shelf!)

message 26: by Almeta (new)

Nell wrote: "Home Alone Reading books from our private library during the year 2012.
Nell read 41 books toward her goal of 50"

Thanks for the update. I've made the change.

message 27: by Almeta (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I'm going to have to trust the numbers. But I do need 5 more books added to Climb Every Mt. - the week between Xmas and New Year's was good to me. Thanks!"

Done!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Thank you - I like my new (accurate) number much better.

message 29: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (almare) | 1 comments Hey everyone check your Now That Was Classic shelf and let me know your results. The challenge was deleted before I gathered the information.

I read 8 books toward my goal of 8 :D.

message 30: by Almeta (new)

Hanna wrote: "Hey everyone check your Now That Was Classic shelf and let me know your results. The challenge was deleted before I gathered the information.

I read 8 books toward my goal of 8 :D."

Noted Hanna. Thanks