Shut Up & Read discussion

Masters at Arms (Rescue Me Saga, #0.5)
This topic is about Masters at Arms
Archives > Masters at Arms by Kallypso Masters

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Leigh | 16202 comments Mod
We will be starting December 26th. How many chapters/day do we want to read?

message 2: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sheri | 12469 comments Mod
If anyone wants to join this book is free-
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...
B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/maste...

And has a really hot cover :D

message 3: by Lys (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lys (lysrowan) I'm looking forward to it. Someone link Clare here. :)

message 4: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

I can't post a link from my iPod...can you do it Leigh?

Have a Merry Christmas everyone :)

message 5: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) I'm in thanks for looking out awesomelys;) I already downloaded holy hot guy on the cover ... What is it called umm hotness in Clare bears
Masterful arms? Yay so what's the scoop? How many chapters?

message 6: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) Oh yes and merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight n stuff!

message 7: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Merry Chritmas everyone!

message 8: by NayNay (new)

NayNay I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!!

message 9: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

NayNay, are you going our buddyread?

message 10: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

Someone else needs to pick chapters. For some reason my Kindle won't connect to the Internet at my mom's do I can download the book from my archives until I get home tomorrow night.

message 11: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

BTW...I'm having a good Christmas too. I'm in Branson, MO, visiting my mom & dad, and my grandma and sister and her kids were here. Heading home sometime tomorrow. Normally I wouldn't look forward to the six hour drive, but I have Stephen King's 11/22/63 on audio which is Freakin Awesome!! So I'm looking forward to listening to that :D

message 12: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

I'm glad you are having a good Christmas, Sherry. How do you get to the chapters on the kindle app?

message 13: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

All I see is sections. It has 5 sections. Do we want to do one section/day? That will take us through Sunday.

message 14: by Lys (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lys (lysrowan) A section a day works fine for me.

Glad that you're enjoying your Christmas. :)

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) Cool here! Are we starting tommorow ?

message 16: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Yes. I actually read a little today.

message 17: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) Yo, Lys what holiday r I celebrating ?

message 18: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leigh wrote: "All I see is sections. It has 5 sections. Do we want to do one section/day? That will take us through Sunday."

Some Kindle books don't have chapters, but if they do they are usually listed under "go to" in your menu...

message 19: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

It is five sections, five different stories. It is not what I expected. I finished the first section and started the next one. I will comment more later.

Sherry, how was your trip?

message 20: by Lys (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Yeah, I don't really like this. It is mediocre writing, with hackneyed, overused phrasing. The whole "prelude" setup isn't my cup of tea either - woo, we get five sorta stories. And, I don't really want to read about romance between Adam and the 16 yr old. Even if she does write him and grow older.
And I don't want to read a series of variations on the "rescue me" theme either.
We'll see. I'll read another segment before I throw in the towel, but right now I'm not impressed.

message 21: by Lys (last edited Dec 26, 2012 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Clare wrote: "Yo, Lys what holiday r I celebrating ?"

I don't know, what holiday? ;)

This sounds like the beginning of a joke. :)

message 22: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Dec 27, 2012 02:57AM) (new)

I am so glad that Adam and 16 yr old didn't have sex. The writing is not impressive. I think this is one of those cases where I was draw in by the cover and the price( free) but the book is not impressing me.. The next section's subject matter was disturbing but I read through it. I will finish it.

What does everyone else think? Do we finish or move on?

message 23: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Dec 27, 2012 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I didn't realize it was just prequels to all the other books...at least we are not out any money :)

I haven't even gotten through the first story yet...been too busy, but I will read more tonight or tomorrow and let you know what I think.

Leigh, I would say if you don't like it don't bother finishing it. Were any of the stories good enough to make you want to read the next story?

message 24: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

The stories are not terrible, just not up to our usual standard.

message 25: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

I started section 3 and I have decided I can't read anymore. I'm sorry since I was the one who suggested it. What are we reading next? Do we go back to One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost ?

Tammy | 291 comments Oh no, I was just about to ask to join in, but this doesn't sound like its worth reading...

message 27: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

I'm sorry Tammy. We will be reading something next week if you want to join us.

Tammy | 291 comments I'd like that, will you guys be reading One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost or was that just a suggestion?

message 29: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Dec 27, 2012 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I just finished the first story about Adam...it wasn't too bad. I guess we got to see Adam's personality, and apparently Karla shows up in book 3 (nine years later so she is an adult now). I think I will keep reading the series to see what happens...

It's so hard to rate short stories because you don't really get everything you need to understand the people and background. I would rate it a 3 right now just based on the first story...not bad but not great either. Hopefully the longer books will have more insight and substance.

message 30: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Dec 27, 2012 04:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tammy wrote: "Oh no, I was just about to ask to join in, but this doesn't sound like its worth reading..."

Go ahead and join us. Love to hear what you think :)

message 31: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Dec 27, 2012 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leigh wrote: "I started section 3 and I have decided I can't read anymore. I'm sorry since I was the one who suggested it. What are we reading next? Do we go back toOne Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost?"

I would like to go back to Cat and Bones...how about everyone else?

Tammy | 291 comments Sheri wrote: "Tammy wrote: "Oh no, I was just about to ask to join in, but this doesn't sound like its worth reading..."

Go ahead and join us. Love to hear what you think :)"

I think I may, I have it on my Nook already and I've heard good things about the author

message 33: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

I would too. Do we start Monday?

message 34: by Lys (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lys (lysrowan) I would like that as well. Sorry if I was too harsh- I just wasn't feeling it.

message 35: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

Monday is good.

message 36: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

I thought I could finish it but I am not into BDSM. Where is Clare Bear?

Monday, it is. How many chapters/day?

message 37: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) I'd apologize but it seems I have no need. I've been spending the entire day interrogating the sentences in this atrocious book to tell me why we were made to believe that this was...
A. Possibly good?
B.that human beings (more than one since it's been edited & published) agreed it deserved space on ANY type of shelve, or e-library that it was a book?
C. That after its awful presence there would be MORE?? Infiltrating the pleasure palace that is READING!!!

The sentence wouldn't speak, it had no defense. I even put the individual letters into solitary confinement (w/ only bread , water , & punctuation) & each letter claimed the same pathetic excuse.. They truly believe that they belong to a book & that (I believe they've been brainwashed) its good.

At that point I realized my efforts had all been in vain. There was nothing I could say, even threats of deletion did not change their story. Ladies these letters have been out together in order that way on purpose. And sadder yet they plan to stick together to become a very sad excuse for entertainment . I did all I could do.

Final act on Agent Clare Bears day was to go home to the family of books I love & tell them how much they mean to me. Promise them I'll never let anything like that ever happen to them. As an adult & a member of the B.I.A. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I went to my favorite reading chair, rocked myself to sleep w/ the comforting thought that we would be reading something else soon, I was lovingly clutching my well worn copy of the dictionary. It couldn't promise me that it's lovely words wouldn't be so awful again but it did tell me title after title of books I've loved until I fell asleep dreaming of how great "The Men Who Would be Kings" was every time I read it.
So are we going to read the next Night Huntress book? Blimey I would enjoy that or is there any other suggestions?

message 38: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

We are giant to start One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Monday. I will start a thread.

message 39: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Clare Bear, I am glad you showed up. Sorry about the buddy read. My only excuse is that the cover had me drooling. I think this is one of those times you look and don't touch.

message 40: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Clare Bear, here is the link for the next buddy read.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 41: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

Okay, so I read the second story today and pretty much hated it. There were so many inconsistencies and WTF moments (view spoiler). I've read books about sex slaves before and it's not the content that bothers me, but the story just was not written well or in a believable manner. I see a lot of potential with it, though. Damian would make a great hero/lead (except for the spoiler part). I am definitely going to read at least the next book in the series and see how the author does with a full length novel rather than just a short story. There are so many high ratings…I feel like I am missing something.

message 42: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

I felt the same way about the second story. I didn't understand it at all. Read the third one and tell me what you think.

message 43: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) No need to make apologies, we were all sucked in, I just wasn't into it, for many of the reasons that Sher mentioned. Plus what a lure, great abs AND free, who wouldn't have jumped? With the holidays & everything else you have going on, I think your amazing:) I'm going to hop over to the jan. pick it for me & try to reconnect with my partner. Thanks for everything you do, it really makes so many people happy...myself included. Thank you for al your patience/tolerance & constant polite & helpful advice. I couldn't have asked for a better person to read with and learn from. Really, you're great:)

message 44: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Clare, that is so sweet. It made my night. I love reading with you lovely ladies.

message 45: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

Story 3-
Again, I like the main character. Marc has a lot of potential. He seems like a nice guy but has enough angst in his past to put some drama into the story. His book is next in the series.

Again, though, there were too many WTF moments in the story to make it believable for me. (view spoiler)

Again, though, I would like to read the next book to see what the author can do with a full-length novel. It's not going to be at the top of my list, but if the opportunity opens I'll go ahead with it.

message 46: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

I left a review for this book on Amazon, and the author commented on it to let me know the first book in the series is free this week on Smashwords. So I downloaded it to see how it is. I won't be reading it right away, but I'll give it a try.

message 47: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Sherry, I saw that it was free and thought about you. I don't get how this book received some 5star reviews. One was from a friend of mine. I usually agree with her on books but not on this one.

message 48: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

I was wondering the same thing...not just a few 5 star reviews, like ALL of them were 4 and 5 stars. That's why I had been wanting to read it. Over 3000 ratings on here with an average of 4.07!?! I guess we just didn't see what they saw.

message 49: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tammy, have you read it yet? What do you think?

message 50: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

I think it was the same people that loved Fifty Shades of Gray. I didn't find the writing that great and I am not into BDSM.

« previous 1