You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Anna M’s Low Octane ABC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Judy wrote: "It looks like you are off to a good start, Anna! I'm glad you are joining in for this Challenge!"

Thank you!

message 4: by Anna (last edited Jan 06, 2013 02:13PM) (new)

message 5: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Great list! You are off to a great start.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna, I love the little dancing A! He looks like he's having a fine time. What a fun way to announce a new letter is being read.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48782 comments Love the dancing A.

message 8: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Ooh, A's doing a happy dance. Way to go, Anna.

What are your views about Sense and Sensibility?

message 9: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Congrats, Anna! I'm also reading Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice

Are you a Jane Austen fan? This will be my first Austen book.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments April wrote: "Congrats, Anna! I'm also reading Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice

Are you a Jane Austen fan? This will be my first Austen book."

Pride and Prejudice was my first Austen's book too.

I guess, I am her fan. I've enjoyed her books and I haven't read only Emma but I'm sure I will like it too.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Pragya wrote: "Ooh, A's doing a happy dance. Way to go, Anna.

What are your views about Sense and Sensibility?"

Well...Austen showed yet again that character with high moral is not boring or not realistic if the author is good.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Yeah, A is dancing and full of energy let's hope that Z will be the same.

I don't want to end like this

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48782 comments Anna wrote: "Yeah, A is dancing and full of energy let's hope that Z will be the same.

I don't want to end like this..."

LOL! Cute picture.

message 15: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Fabulous! Congratulations! : )

message 16: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Anna wrote: "B

The White Guard by Mikhail Bulgakov

Белая гвардия by Mikhail Bulgakov"

I'm new to YLTO, also fairly new to Goodreads. Just wanted to say that your list gave me lots to delve into - thanks!

I really liked The Master and the Margarita. Have also read much Austen, Quindlen, and Tartt. Already had Dumas and Elliot on my TBR list. Now have added Lessing and Ibsen -- and Bulgakov's The White Guard.

Have you read any by Haruki Murakami? Much enjoyed his Kafka by the Shore. Have The Windup Bird Chronicles standing by just waiting TBR : )

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

oh, that's one of my favourites. not a swift read, but well worth it.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Janet wrote: "Anna wrote: "B

The White Guard by Mikhail Bulgakov

Белая гвардия by Mikhail Bulgakov"

I'm new to YLTO, also fairly new to Goodreads. Just wanted to say that your list gave me lots to delve into..."

I'm also new to YLTO :) Thanks for your kind words!

Henrik Ibsen is one of my favourite authors, I can't recommend him enough

I've read Haruki Murakami and his The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is really good. Especially I liked the parts that told about WW2.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Helen wrote: "oh, that's one of my favourites. not a swift read, but well worth it."

It was great. My first book by Collins was The Moonstone for the Jewellery challenge and I loved it. Who knows when I would have read any of his books if not YLTO :)

message 22: by Tejas Janet (last edited Jan 16, 2013 10:58AM) (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments More books to add to my TBR list : ) I'm looking at how/when I can work them into the challenges I'm trying to take on. Not sure I understand about Topplers yet. Oh well... will figure that out before too long I imagine. I'm onto E authors now -- Silas Marner by George Eliot. Can't believe I've never read anything by her before.

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Janet wrote: "More books to add to my TBR list : ) I'm looking at how/when I can work them into the challenges I'm trying to take on. Not sure I understand about Topplers yet. Oh well... will figure that out bef..."

I'm scared of Toppler challenge :)
I started E too with Eagland's Wildthorn.
I haven't read anything by Eliot either but I really, really want to. Maybe this year...

message 24: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Janet and Anna, the Topplers are a great time! There is always a lot of activity on here during a Toppler. Although the goal is to read as much as you can during Toppler Time, I have found that the very best part of the Toppler is the posting. You can read 1 book or 20, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you enjoy yourself and make some new friends in the process.

message 26: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Anna wrote: "Janet wrote: "More books to add to my TBR list : ) I'm looking at how/when I can work them into the challenges I'm trying to take on. Not sure I understand about Topplers yet. Oh well... will figur..."

I'll probably participate or at least enough so that I can figure out what's going on : )

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48782 comments Look at you knock those books off! Way to go. :)

message 30: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Janice wrote: "Look at you knock those books off! Way to go. :)"

I'll slow down now I'm reading Les Misérables for H.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48782 comments Now that's a doorstopper! It should keep you out of mischief for awhile.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Blimy - that's not a short book! My version's bound in two volumes, it's that big!

He's not fond of full stops was my impression of Hugo. And is easily distracted...

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments I love the feeling after finishing a big book. Totally worth the effort.

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Judy wrote: "Anna wrote: "D

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas"

Are you now a Dumas-ophile like me?"

Not yet. But I could be.

message 36: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Woooo! Good work, Anna.

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Kat wrote: "Woooo! Good work, Anna."

Thanks!

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48782 comments Wow! Congratulations on reading that doorstopper!

message 41: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Anna wrote: "J

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce"

What did you think of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man? I read it a couple years ago and it made fear anything written by Joyce! LOL I made it through the book but just barely....it was a struggle.

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments April wrote: "What did you think of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man? I read it a couple years ago and it made fear anything written by Joyce! LOL I made it through the book but just barely....it was a struggle. "

It was a page-turner for me! But I admit my attention did waver when Stephan was philosophizing about beauty.

message 43: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I loved this Joyce book. Big fan of Dubliners also. However, I've always thus far been too intimated to attempt his Ulysses, but maybe if I did it some time as a buddy read... I've at least finally added it to my TBR list.

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "I loved this Joyce book. Big fan of Dubliners also. However, I've always thus far been too intimated to attempt his Ulysses, but maybe if I did it some time as a buddy read... I've at least finally added it to my TBR list"

One step at a time :)

I've read short story The Dead from Dubliners it was really good.

message 45: by Anna (new)

« previous 1