Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Gregor the Overlander
Action/Adventure > Gregor the Overlander series

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Feel free to discuss the series here!

Karen (girlwithhope) | 1 comments Hello! I can see that this topic hasn't really gotten started yet, but I would like to comment here. I am new to this group, but wouldn't you know it, The Underland Chronicles is one of my favorite pieces of children's lit! I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it was YA, but certainly the themes and issues discussed in it are of a more mature nature.

There are so many things I love about this book and this book series that I just don't even know where to begin. I love that the fantasy is grounded in an emotional realism. I love the harsh and unpredictable nature of this world. I love that the characters have to make intensely difficult decisions. I love that the author doesn't patronize her readers like so many others in this age-range tend to do. I love that there is genuine loss and grief throughout the series.

If you haven't picked up this book series, this is the only one I continue to recommend to everyone, of all ages, time and time again. It is one of the best book series I've ever read and I come back to it every year. It's wonderful.