Music Lovers discussion

Debates > Major vs. Minor Keys

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Booknerdswift♥, #1 Swiftie (new)

♥Booknerdswift♥ | 116 comments Mod

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Major :)

message 3: by Sidnee (new)

Sidnee They each have their purpose. I don't think one is better than the other.

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire I like minor keys better. With major keys it's all the same, bright and happy and occasionally irritating. Minor keys have layers. Some people think minor keys are just sad but I think that they mean so much more than that. They can be about whatever you want them to be. They make you think. With major keys, what you hear is exactly the same to everyone else.

message 5: by Sidnee (new)

Sidnee Wait a second. If it's mainstream its all the same regardless of what key it is in. Its all I's IV's and V's and a lot of major seconds and thirds. Classical songs in major keys are just as complex as minor songs. In my opinion its wrong to say that all major songs are exactly tue same. That assumption is wrong unless you are talking about mainstream, like i previously stated.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait, wait, wait. I got the keys mixed up. I meant to say minor...

message 7: by Claire (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Claire I meant that to me, major keys all sound the same and convey the same thing. I didn't say they weren't complex. And I didn't say anything about mainstream, just stating my opinion. And don't act like I don't know anything about music, because I do. Music is about freedom to express your thoughts, and I think minor keys express more than major keys. I didn't ask for your input so don't tell me I'm flat out wrong. You have your opinion, I have mine. And adding 'in my opinion' doesn't make it any less rude.

message 8: by Sidnee (last edited Dec 23, 2012 08:48PM) (new)

Sidnee I didn't mean to sound rude, and I thought this was a debate. I'll keep 'my opinion' to myself next time. And I don't remember saying you didn't know anything about music. Nope, I definitely did not say that.

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire You're right, I'm so sorry. I feel so bad!!!!!! I'm a terrible person for overreacting like that :( I'm usually not like that I swear!!!! *cries*

message 10: by Sidnee (new)

Sidnee Hey, its ok. I can overreact sometimes to, I understand. So, we good? :)

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire We good :)

message 12: by Josie (new)

Josie | 14 comments Gotta be the minor keys. I mean, major is good too, and mixing a major and a minor is just plain beautiful, but if I were to pick one, the haunting ways of the minor scales are just blissfully...off, I guess.