Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Episode 209 New Adult

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I've been mulling over this new category and think a lot of books I enjoy would classify as this. The ultimate New Adult book would surely be Warm Bodies. I'm currently enjoying Mr Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore which I think also falls into this category. Any other recommendations?

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I just had myself cloned. I had been wondering what to give this brand new adult human to read. Now I know.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Hee hee.

message 4: by Megrockstar (new)

Megrockstar (mmaloney) | 32 comments Wothin this category,I thought 'Commencement' & 'Prep' ? Maybe 'Drunk Girl'. I think this is a huge potential genre, I am thinking more along college ages? I could list a bunch. Even many many YA topics are advanced in subject so they could even cover a greater span than just 14-18. I read many when I was a HS librarian years ago and enjoyed them myself and still recommended them to students who also had positive feedback. "It's kind of a funny story"? Orca books are awesome too! More sassy.!! Who doesn't like sassy??

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 55 comments Great topic Ann & Michael - - This was a very interesting podcast; I listened to it while my 22-year old daughter was visiting (from university) over the holidays. My 26-year old son is in Okinawa with the Marine Corps right now. Their generation is quite different than mine (...and I'm only 51), and while my son reads a lot of sci fi, my daughter doesn't enjoy any of the same literary fiction genre as I do. While she was visiting, she was watching episodes of the HBO show "Girls" - - have you seen that? OMG, it's a different world out there. At first, I was shocked by the way these young people approach life, then I realized this lifestyle is very real to them - - they have access to technology, information, and a world view that I never had growing up. They are in a multi-cultural world that I respect and am fascinated by, but can't seem to relate to. This is a roundabout way of saying that I think the idea of a New Adult genre is excellent and very necessary; I believe we are going to start seeing a lot more new fiction from the 20-somethings out there that feels strange to anyone over 40-ish. I found an interesting piece on this topic in a recent GalleyCat e-mail, and it has a link to an article they wrote on "What is New Adult Fiction" - it's at http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/...