The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [General] BEST OF 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments

This is the season of merrymaking and of course, listmaking!

We like to hear your favorites of 2012. This is not exclusive to your favorite books. Make a list of whatever topic you like: books, movies, tv shows, music, tfg moments, etc. You can do as many items you want per list.

If you did a Best Of post on your blog, you can paste the link on this thread.

There are probably a dozen and more awesome things that missed on people's radar.
Share the awesome! Make as many damage as you can on people's to-read, to-watch, to-listen lists.

message 2: by anarki (new)

anarki (deadeyes133) | 380 comments When I woke up and checked my inbox, someone just told me she saw face in a newspaper. At first I was like, "Have I done something while drunk?" Hahaha. Then as I was gathering my scattered senses, I just thought of the reason why. And yes, I was right.

This is just too nice. Too cool. Reading, writing, facilitating.. All in one.

It makes me feel so cool doing such things. Volunteering for the love of reading. Hahaha.

Here's the article from The Philippine Daily Inquirer, today, Dec 22, 2012: Creative ways of making children read

description

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Nik: Wow that's awesome. :) Anything to make kids reads more is a plus in my book.

Aaron: thank you for starting this thread! I love lists! :D I haven't blogged about my best of 2012 yet, but I will, soon. Maybe later. :D

I can't wait to read everyone's lists. :)

message 5: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Share ko lang: sa best moments of 2012 ko according to FB, mga about 67% ata puro TFG related :")

message 6: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments hahaha. natawa lang ako. 67% talaga? precised computation? :P

I will post my best books tonight and the other best lists on the following days.

message 8: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Wow Nik, good job!!! Continue to be a blessing.

Tuklas Pahina (TP) | 1191 comments Nik! saludo ako sa iyo! keep up the good work

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Okay my first list! I will do this by parts kasi yung ibang best of lists ko di ko pa iniisip. Books is the easiest sooo.

Tina's 12 Best Books for 2012
1. Angelfall by Susan Ee. Gruesome, scary and not your typical angel novel. Badass heroine + badass apocalypse-bringing angels + creepy cannibalistic people. But it's so good.

2. Interim Goddess of Love by Mina V. Esguerra. I read this one twice when it came out. Haha. I love the entire concept, and I loved Hannah's voice and I loved Quin. <3

3. Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler. I loved this for the cupcakes. You shouldn't read this without having cupcakes by your side. :) (Trivia: this is also one of the reasons why I tried baking red velvet cupcakes :D)

4. The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell. How do I describe this? This is perhaps one of the really good zombie novels I've read so far. It's deep and sad, and well...just really good. Right, Maria? :)

5. Sinner: The Catholic Guy's Funny, Feeble Attempts to Be a Faithful Catholic by Lino Rulli. The only non-fiction that made it to my list. This is such a fun, refreshing and borderline irreverent take on the Catholic faith by a guy who has been Catholic all his life. So much laughs.

6. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. I wasn't expecting to love this one, but I did. I wasn't even supposed to read this yet, but thanks to F2F6, I did. And I really, really, REALLY liked it. :)

7. Blackout by Mira Grant. Honestly, I can probably remove this from my list, but I realized that I love the Newsflesh trilogy so much that the last book has to be on this. So hard to say goodbye to characters that I've grown attached to.

8. Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti. Let me quote something here, which pretty much explains why I liked this book very much:

We are all a volume on a shelf of a library, a story unto ourselves, never possibly described with one word or even very accurately with thousands. A person is never as quiet or unrestrained as they seem, or as bad or good, as vulnerable or as strong, as sweet or as feisty; we are thickly layered, page upon lying page, behind simple covers. And love – it is not the book itself, but the binding. It can rip us apart or hold us together.

:)

9. Voices in the Theater by A.S. Santos. A local paranormal YA novel that is set in DLSU! I thought this was very well-written with enough creep factor and twists to keep me glued to the story. :)

10. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Do I even have to explain why? Haha just kidding. I loved how it was written, I liked the story, but most of all, I liked that David Mitchell is someone new for me and that I have a brand new author to explore in 2013. :)

11. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente. What a smart, smart book. It's a fairy-tale-ish type of story but it doesn't feed you what the author wants you to know but instead lets you figure it out. It's also quite...gruesome at some parts but it's really, really good. :)

12. Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos. I may be a bit biased here because I would read anything the author writes. Also because a part of this is set in the Philippines. It's not the strongest De los Santos book, but I was very much charmed with this book. :D

---

Okay done! Next?

message 11: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Yay for this thread! Will post soon after Christmas! Hehe!

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (itsmatthewburgos) | 20 comments I need to fix my list first. Sobrang magulo pa po yung isip ko. Marami po kasing magagandang books ang 2012 at marami din po akong magagandang nabasa. ;)

message 13: by Rincess (new)

Rincess nik wrote: "Photo Essay: Getting inside the mind of a book

"

That is beautiful Nik. It's like...woooooow! OoO

message 14: by Dardenitaaa (last edited Dec 23, 2012 08:40PM) (new)

Dardenitaaa | 15 comments 2012 YEAR IN REVIEW

Merry Christmas, TFG! Let me just say that one of my best of 2012 moments is having stumbled into this kick-ass Goodreads Group and joining it. (Yes, I'm cheesy this way.) Since I've only been here for not more than a month I think, I'm still basically a noob, but I'm already having so much fun lurking around the threads and forums, so I know I'll have a grander time once I get to formally join an F2F or a HOHOL event haha.

I've read only 55 books this year, and here's a complete list of it: http://wp.me/p1RJBn-5V

And my TOP 12 Greatest Reads of 2012: http://wp.me/p1RJBn-66

Cheers, and here's to a better year in reading for 2013!

message 15: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Dardenitaaa wrote: "

Merry Christmas, TFG! Let me just say that one of my best of 2012 moments is having stumbled into this kick-ass Goodreads Group and joining it. (Yes, I'm cheesy this way.)"

Merry Christmas, too! Looking forward to meeting you next F2F or the soonest HOHOL. (>‿♥)

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Dardenitaaa: Merry Christmas! And like what Louize said, looking forward to meeting you in person soon! :)

message 17: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments The Best Reads of 2012 (noted from The TFG Christmas Party):

1984 by George Orwell - Po
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka - Reev
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon - Tricia
Beyond the Chocolate War by Robert Cormier - Patrick
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell - Cary
Blindness by José Saramago - John
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Clai
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - Ingrid
Deadline by Mira Grant - Alona
Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman - Mavic
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - JL
The Family by Mario Puzo - Chika
Feed by Mira Grant - Celina
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien - Tina
Ghostwritten by David Mitchell - Monique
The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson - Maria
The Help by Kathryn Stockett - Persis
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss - Sophie
Insurgent by Veronica Roth - Jane
Juan Ponce Enrile: A Memoir by Juan Ponce Enrile - Biena
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami - Phoebe
Looking for Alaska by John Green - Joy
Man in the Dark by Paul Auster - Bennard
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury - Alexa
Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson - Kwesi
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - Lalaine
North and South by by Elizabeth Gaskell - Ronnie
number9dream by David Mitchell - Mae
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - Sheryl
The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - Louize
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - Aenna, Angus, Ella
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey - Perla
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach - Jasper
Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay - Aaron
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Rhena
A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami - Ranee

message 18: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments This is a little OT, but I don't know where to post it. However, it has something to do with year-enders, so I guess it counts?

I was able to track some of my Goodreads friends' book compatibility with me last year. I want to share the changes:

Monique - 69% to 82%
Veronica - 75% to 81%
Kwesi - 80% to 85%
H - 72% to 74%
Jzhun - 77% to 78%
Emir - 75% to 76%
Krizia Anna - 69% to 68%
Kristel - 75% to 70%

All of them improved, except for Kristel's drastic drop, hehe. I can't recall what's my set of criteria for picking these people (I'm pretty sure it's the number of common rated books). So now, I'm going to do this again. This time, I will track Goodreads friends whom I have met and who have at least 12 common rated books with me.

Bennard - 85%
Kwesi - 85%
Mae - 85%
Billy - 83%
Aenna - 82%
Monique - 82%
Tina - 81%
Veronica - 81%
Honey - 80%
Mariel - 80%

Alexa - 79%
Ella - 79%
Camille - 78%
Clai - 78%
Jzhun - 78%
Louize - 78%
Sheryl - 78%
JL - 77%
Beejay - 76%
Emir - 76%
Joyzi - 75%

H - 74%
Aaron - 73%
Tricia - 73%
Ranee - 72%
Marie - 71%
Cary - 70%
Kristel - 70%
Lynai - 69%
Maria - 67%
Noelle - 65%

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Angus: well would you look at that! And I'm pretty sure at the start of the year we only have a few books in common. Thank you, TFG 100! :D

I actually expect that I'll have more books in common with you next year. :D

message 20: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Tina: Kaya nga I made it 12 para at least yung mga books of the month ay kasali. Yun nga lang, yung iba kasi either hindi nila binabasa or hindi nila nirerate.

Next year, malamang 20+ na ang common books natin. Wooh!

message 21: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Wow, never thought of this. 22% more to go...

message 22: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Wow, Miss Louize! Aiming for perfection. :D For me, 80% is a pretty good number. Wala nga akong 90% eh, haha. Actually, meron akong 100%, kaso one book lang iyon, so it doesn't really count.

GOING BACK, I already did my Best of 2012. I'll copy past my Top Five Books here:

5. Fatelessness by Imre Kertesz – this could beat the crap out of any coming of age novel. The tragedy of this novel is just too visceral that it made me turn away a number of times, with tears in my eyes, to reflect on the good fortune that I am experiencing now. I may not be so lucky, but I am very, very thankful for what I have.

4. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides – those Lisbon girls are just unforgettable. I love the way their story is told. I love the somber tone and mood. And yes, we will never understand what the girls were thinking, and this is why I will be haunted by it for a long time.

3. Ghostwritten by David Mitchell – this feels a lot like a draft of Cloud Atlas but it is less of a novel. It’s nine stories that will take you all over the world and out of your mind. I’d definitely recommend it to any reader. There’s something in it that will be loved by everyone.

2. Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem – another dark horse in this year’s race is this zany novel! So you see, I don’t always like dark novels. I also love funny novels, so please don’t accuse me of having no humor. This is my most surprising read for the year. For people who have a knack for word games, pick this up.

1. Play It as It Lays by Joan Didion – a potentially lethal novel. Be very, very sure that you are emotionally stable if you pick this up. I was a walking zombie for two days after I finished this. Honestly, it didn’t give a lot of bang, but the subtle yet raw emotions just crept up in me. And oh, I’d love to reread this again or listen to an audio version. I have an excuse to do that; I haven’t reviewed it yet.

message 23: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:28AM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments I read 70 books this year so I thought I'd make a best of list with only the top 10% of that.

In order(somewhat):

Additions to my all-time favorites

1. Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay
(view spoiler)

2. Among Others - Jo Walton
(view spoiler)

3. The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
(view spoiler)

The almost favorites

4. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
(view spoiler)

5. The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
(view spoiler)

6. The Warded Man - Peter Brett
(view spoiler)

7. Control Point - Myke Cole
(view spoiler)

Notable Mentions:
Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
Leviathan Wakes - James S.A. Corey
The Isle of Blood - Rick Yancey
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

message 24: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 191 comments My top 10 reads of 2012 (not in particular order)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Divergent
Easy
Slammed
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
City of Ashes
Kissed by an Angel
Pandemonium
The Hunger Games
The Lightning Thief

Completed my 2012 reading challenge. I've read 76 books out of 70. I didn't expect to read a lot of books this year. :)

message 25: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments My Best Reads of 2012

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnely - This book is just so beautifully written that it was quite a page turner for me despite that it is under the historical genre. If you love books and words, it is impossible for you to not like Mattie and her story.

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner - I didn't quite really loved The Thief but this second installment, boy was I in for a wonderful ride. This book has just one unexpected thing after another!

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud - This series is a hilarious magical romp through old London and it's government. Magic + politics = a whole lot of fun.

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Curtis Smith - This is an unexpected favorite this year, considering this was just an impulse buy at Booksale. But this may be my best middle grade read of all time. It's filled with positivity and made me see the best and make the best out of everything in life.

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier - One of my best fairy tale retellings to date. It's such a beautiful heartbreaking tale of love and family with a bit of Celtic lore in it.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - I loved the whole "groundhog day" plot of this book. It's quite a sad and heavy story but it just made me sort of value life and the people around me more. And made me well, less judgemental. Sometimes teens aren't what they are on the surface.

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - I loved this book because of the snarky, clever, big-words-peppered dialogue; and the main characters are not your run of the mill teenagers but quirky and smart and word nerds and bookish. And I do love bookish characters. This was a wonderful Christmas read and I will definitely look forward to reading more Cohn and Levithan next year.

A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam - I don't really do well with adult fiction but this one was pretty good. For one, I was able to finish it, which is saying something if you were me. It is a great story that made me experience the culture of Bangladesh and the hardships of being a mother, a daughter, a son, a neighbor, and just an ordinary person in a country immersed in war.

Other titles worth mentioning are:
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness
Beauty by Robin Mckinley
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

message 26: by Dardenitaaa (new)

Dardenitaaa | 15 comments Tin wrote: "My Best Reads of 2012

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnely - This book is just so beautifully written that it was quite a page turner for me despite that it is under the historical genre. If you ..."

High-five on the 'A Northern Light' making your list. I have the biggest girl crush on Jennifer Donnelly when I read this book in 2011. Here's my embarrasing review on it on my blog: http://wp.me/p1RJBn-1x

I bought her book 'Revolution' this month for my next year's reading list. SO hyped! :)

message 27: by Tuklas Pahina (TP) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 12:14PM) (new)

Tuklas Pahina (TP) | 1191 comments My Best of 2012;

1.George Orwell's 1984

2.IQ84 by Haruki Murakami

3.Color Purple by Alice Walker

4.Up in the Air by Walter Kirn

5.It's a Mens World by Bebang Siy

6.The Truth and the Plain by Kerima Polotan

7.The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint
Exupery
8.Noli Me Tangere by Jose Rizal

9.The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

10.The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

11.Baha-bahagdang Karupukan by Jim Pascual Agustin

12.After the Birthday Party Intro by Mina Esguerra

message 28: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Dardenitaaa wrote: "Tin wrote: "My Best Reads of 2012

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnely - This book is just so beautifully written that it was quite a page turner for me despite that it is under the historical ge..."

Hi! *high fives back* This books is really one of the best YA books I've ever read. Mattie is awesome. She can plow the field and give you the definition of fractious at the same time. I'll go check out your review. :)

message 29: by Mina (new)

Mina Esguerra (minavesguerra) | 36 comments Po wrote: "My Best of 2012;

1.George Orwell's 1984

2.IQ84 by Haruki Murakami

3.Color Purple by Alice Walker

4.Up in the Air by Walter Kirn

5.It's a Mens World by Bebang Siy

6.The Truth and the Plain by ..."

Intro lang ng "After the Birthday Party" yung sa akin. :) Congrats all though!

message 30: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Patrick wrote: "Tin wrote: "The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud - This series is a hilarious magical romp through old London and it's government. Magic + politics = a whole lot of fun."

YES!!! This reminds ..."

I really loved the trilogy. I have forgotten that there is still The Ring of Solomon pala. Thanks for reminding me! I miss Bartimaeus. Have you read any of his 'non-Bartimaeus' books? Like Heroes of the Valley, etc.? I wonder if they're as good. :)

message 31: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Tina!!! YES na YES to Angelfall and The Reapers are the Angels!

*ahem*

here's my list =)
Maria's Best Reads of 2012.

message 32: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Hi Tin! YES na YES din for Queen of Attolia by MWT. Woot!

message 33: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Maria wrote: "Hi Tin! YES na YES din for Queen of Attolia by MWT. Woot!"

*woots back* It's time for King of Attolia sa 2013! :)

message 34: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Tin and Maria: my favorite in the series is KoA. GENius. :)

Maria: Wohoo. Cannot wait for Angelfall's next book. :)

message 35: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Patrick, kaya mo ba ako binigyan ng War Horse? Yiiih! :D

message 36: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Hi, all! :)

Too late to post this perhaps but I want to share anyway! :D Originally, I had 12 on the list (clicky!) but I wanted to have a Top Five for 2012, so here they are.

My 5 best reads for 2012:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - What is the ocean but a multitude of drops?

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - A crash course on deities and mythologies.

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell - My second Mitchell five-starrer.

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - Eternal flame.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell - The fifth and last book by Mitchell. How can I not give this 5 stars as well?

Three out of five are Mitchells. Go figure. :P

message 37: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments There were plenty of reasons to be thankful for,listing up the Best Reads for 2012 is just a start…
and I’ve surprised myself by liking books outside of my preferred genres.
1. The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón;
2. Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel by Robin Sloan;
3. Un Lun Dun by China Miéville;
4. First Among Sequels(Thursday Next, #5) by Jasper Fforde;
5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green;
6. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell;
7. Where Shadows Dance: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery and When Maidens Mourn: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery by C.S. Harris
8. The Infinity Affair (Covert-One, #8) by Kyle Mills
9. The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6) by Michael Scott
10. The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien
11. Holy Fools by Joanne Harris
12. The Prophet (Graveyard Queen #3) by Amanda Stevens
13. After the Birthday Party by you guys

Some are even worth taking note of…
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide, #2) by Douglas Adams
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
It's a Mens World by Bebang Siy
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman
Death with Interruptions by José Saramago
Beasts by Joyce Carol Oates
84, Charing Cross Road / The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff
Off the Beaten Path: Stories of Place by 14 selected authors of The Nature Conservancy

Same post on The Page Walker

message 38: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments I don't make lists very often but this seemed like a fun thing to do, so I looked at my stats and *drumroll* here are my favorites from 2012 (in no particular order)!! *confetti*
(view spoiler)

After the Birthday Party (of bloody course)
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Angelfall by Susan Ee
Cyrano De Bergerac by Edmond Rostand
The Mistborn trilogy (Mistborn: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages) by Brandon Sanderson
The Newsflesh trilogy (Feed, Deadline, Blackout) by Mira Grant
The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (can't believe I only read this last year!)
The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
1984 by George Orwell
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I'm so happy because I read many authors for the first time last year (referring to 2012 as 'last year' is so strange), and most of them landed on my favorites list, so yay!

message 39: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Yay! My top books

1. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (and also the comic books spin-offs of The Escapist!) by Michael Chabon (yep, yep! Shameless obsession until nao)
1. Cloud Atlas by THE David Mitchell (of course, it's THE David Mitchell)
1. Sandman: Doll's House by Neil Gaiman (illustrator: I think Michael Zulli) (because this volume is one total mindf*ck and really, REALLY disturbing. Wasn't able to sleep when I finished that volume!)
1. The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (one of my best graphic novel read, like, ever! Hope you all get to read this. Really)
1. History of Love by Nicole Krauss (this book is so dear to me <3)
1. FEED by Mira Grant (still can't move on with this book and that's why I haven't read Deadline yet)
1. The Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (really liked this as well as the movie. Somehow revived my want to read his works again after being let down by Choke)
2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (of course!!!)
3. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers by JRR Tolkien (well, it unleashed my inner dork and talk about it endlessly when it is aired in HBO. Yep, relatives are asking why the hell I know the names even their father? (Like Aaron, son of Aragorn)
4. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler and Maira Kalman (because it reminds me of my youth and the illustrations by Kalman is very nomnom)
5. No Strings Attached and Interim Goddess of Love by Mina V Esguerra (eh si Dante 'to eh. And I love Igol because of the extraordinary plot. Excited for the next book!)
6. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (still love it even if it's a re-read earlier last year)
7. It's Kind of a Funny Story and Teen Angst...Nah by Ned Vizzini (I love Ned Vizzini)

Runner-ups:

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (really nice but the reveal is kind of let down (or maybe I was affected like the characters) but it's so addicting to read.)

Submarine by Joe Dunthorne

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Special:

After the Birthday Party by TFG :)

message 40: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Tricia wrote: "Yep, relatives are asking why the hell I know the names even their father? (Like Aaron, son of Aragorn)"

Lol! :P

message 41: by Janjohn (new)

Janjohn (janjohncastillo) Pahabol! Ito ang sa akin! 11 books to. Haha!

*The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
*Every Day by David Levithan
*Love story by Erich Segal
*Will Grayson, will grayson by John Green and David Levithan
*Angels by Marian Keyes
*The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter
*The Brethren by John Grisham
*The Testament by John Grisham
*Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
*The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
*The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

message 42: by anarki (new)

anarki (deadeyes133) | 380 comments Top 10 for 2012

1.Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
2.The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
3.Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller
4.Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
5.Marathon Man by William Goldman
6.Brothers by William Goldman
7.The Cider House Rules by John Irving
8.The Perfume by Patrick Suskind
9.The Mist by Stephen King
10.Green Mile Series by Stephen King

message 43: by Veronica (last edited Jan 03, 2013 05:24AM) (new)

Veronica | 734 comments My favorites for 2012:

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa
A beautifully written story about the friendship of three people borne out of a professor’s love for math. A lovely, lovely story I have decided to make a comfort read. In fact, it has its own folder in my Kindle entitled: Read This When You’re Cranky.

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
My first graphic novel. Who knew a comic book could break my heart?

The Scar by Sergey and Marina Dyachenco
For a non-fantasy reader, I really enjoyed this. A fearless, dashing soldier is inflicted with a curse and a scar because of his arrogance. The curse turned him into a blithering coward and this is the story of his journey to have the curse removed. The depths of his cowardice made me cringe. Great story from a writing duo who have been winning awards in Europe for the past decade. This is the first time their work has been translated in English.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
My first Gaskell novel. She writes like Jane Austen but with more social relevance. Actually, Austen is still the better writer but Gaskell makes Austen’s subject matter seem like fluff. (As an aside, I watched the BBC series on YouTube after reading the book. It’s a great adaptation but all I can remember is Richard Armitage. Haha)

Dracula by Bram Stoker
Aldrin mentioned this during the Historian F2F. Even if you think you know the story of Dracula, this is still quite a page-turner. Thanks Aldrin!

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Two sisters shunned by a community because one was suspected of having murdered their family. It’s great fun to read. One character here is now my favorite psychopath.

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
The story of a narcissistic socialite / unremorseful adulteress who finds redemption in the cholera-stricken China of the 1920’s. I really liked this story and will read more of Maugham this year.

Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman
Even though Anne Fadiman’s choice of books is more of the scholarly type, her insights on books and reading will resonate with you. I loved her brand of wit.

message 44: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Veronica wrote: "North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
My first Gaskell novel. She writes like Jane Austen but with more social relevance. Actually, Austen is still the better writer but Gaskell makes Austen’s subject matter seem like fluff. (As an aside, I watched the BBC series on YouTube after reading the book. It’s a great adaptation but all I can remember is Richard Armitage. Haha)"

Okay that's it. I am reading North and South this year. Or maybe I should just watch the adaptation? :P For Richard Armitage? :D

message 45: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Tina wrote: "Veronica wrote: "North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
My first Gaskell novel. She writes like Jane Austen but with more social relevance. Actually, Austen is still the better writer but Gaskell mak..."

Incidentally, I've been meaning to read this because I love Richard Armitage :))

message 46: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Blue wrote: "Incidentally, I've been meaning to read this because I love Richard Armitage :)) "

I've only seen him in The Hobbit, but he looks different there naman kasi. I mean, look at his IMDB photo -- what's not to love? :D

message 47: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Monique wrote: "Hi, all! :)

Too late to post this perhaps but I want to share anyway! :D Originally, I had 12 on the list (clicky!) but I wanted to have a Top Five for 2012, so here they are.

My 5 best reads fo..."

Yay for The Virgin Suicides, Monique! *high five*

message 48: by Maria (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:43PM) (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Louize: I need to start that Michael Scott book series..!

Blue: Yes to GoT and Ender's Game. Oh, 1984 too. woot!

Tricia: Love your list! I love the illustrations on Why We Broke Up as well. It felt real, noh?

Ronnie: I was tempted to buy a Dracula book kahapon :)

I'm enjoying this thread, Tina!

message 49: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Veronica: I swear I'm going to read The Scar soon. If I can't find a copy, I will just ebook it. I downloaded North and South weeks ago when I was high with British period shows pero hindi ko alam na book pala siya. Fail. :D

Tina: I bet you've seen him before but you just didn't know it's him. He's the gunman in Captain America!

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Aaron: oh yeah, I remember na :) He was so out of my radar kasi, until The Hobbit. Haha.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.