Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Eight (The Eight #1)
This topic is about The Eight
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Neville, Katherine - The Eight - Start Date January 23, 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
Photobucket
This topic is open for discussion of The Eight by Katherine Neville. Expect Spoilers.

Computer expert Cat Velis is heading for a job to Algeria. Before she goes, a mysterious fortune teller warns her of danger, and an antique dealer asks her to search for pieces to a valuable chess set that has been missing for years...In the South of France in 1790 two convent girls hide valuable pieces of a chess set all over the world, because the game that can be played with them is too powerful....

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 21, 2013 08:16AM) (new)

Reading Schedule

Date      Chapters                                         Pages
1/23      The Defense - Fianchetto                         1 - 63
1/24      A Game of Chess - The Knight's Wheel            64 - 131
1/25      The Knight's Tour - The Center Board           132 - 215
1/26      The Middle Game - Position Analysis            216 - 290
1/27      The Sound of the Desert - The Death of Kings   291 - 371
1/28      The Black Queen - The White Land               372 - 444
1/29      The Eighth Square - The Storm                  445 - 497
1/30      The Secret - The End Game                      498 - 550

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

save

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments I'm in!!!

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I am in for this one too. I have made it apart of one of my challenges for the month so that I will possibly keep up with it, LOL!

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments I'll join in. I have this one in from the library already. I'll do my best to keep up - my last few tries at these haven't done well.

message 7: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha I have requested it from the library. Hopefully I will get it in time.

message 8: by Parvathy (new) - added it

Parvathy | 242 comments I am in too. This time for real

Laura I'm new here and hoping that it is ok for me to join in for this read. Looking forward to it

message 10: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim This one isn't on Kindle!! It has been almost four years since I have read a physical fiction book!! :). I am going to try and get it from the library this weekend.

Gemma This one of my favourite books ever (: Looking forward to discussing it with you guys!

message 12: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon I'm goiong to give this a try. Read this book years ago and I'm not sure that I really followed it that well. I'd like to try again.

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 2 comments Love this book! Can't wait to see what other people think of it!

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 1 comments I'm gonna give it a try as well!!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments I can help with the DQs if you like.

message 16: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments I love that the plot is related to chess. I love chess. :-D I was the only girl in my high school's chess club, hehe.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments According to a friend of mine, chess and math and enigmas. Totally my alley :o)

Now, if I only remembered where did I put my copy...

*shakes head*

message 18: by Mandi (new)

Mandi (toxicmyst) | 64 comments I'm in. Just checked out the last copy from work.

Carol Chapple | 4 comments I just downloaded it from the online library. Planing to read it after I finish my current book. Looking forward to it. Not much of a chess fan, but I don't think that will matter, I am easily amused.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Found it!!!

*happy dance*

So... when is the reading schedule out? :o)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I have yet to find a copy :(

I am going to do some searching today at some smaller bookstores.

message 22: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Reading schedule will be posted in a few.

This is a pretty long book (my copy is 550 pages and the paperback is 600), so I increased the pages per day to around 70ish. One day has 80 pages and the last two days are 50 pages. This okay with everyone?

message 23: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Laura wrote: "I have yet to find a copy :(

I am going to do some searching today at some smaller bookstores."

I'm sorry, Laura. :-( Hope you're able to find it.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Mary wrote: "Reading schedule will be posted in a few.

This is a pretty long book (my copy is 550 pages and the paperback is 600), so I increased the pages per day to around 70ish. One day has 80 pages and th..."

Fine by me. Mine has 576 pages, and good reads doesn't have that info on the edition page... I guess I'll have to choose another...

message 25: by Mary (last edited Jan 21, 2013 08:14AM) (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Important: as you can see, the chapters are titled, rather than numbered. So when you see "The Defense - Fianchetto," don't stop at Fianchetto. Read Fianchetto, and stop at A Game of Chess, the beginning of the next section. Make sense?

Date      Chapters                                         Pages
1/23      The Defense - Fianchetto                         1 - 63
1/24      A Game of Chess - The Knight's Wheel            64 - 131
1/25      The Knight's Tour - The Center Board           132 - 215
1/26      The Middle Game - Position Analysis            216 - 290
1/27      The Sound of the Desert - The Death of Kings   291 - 371
1/28      The Black Queen - The White Land               372 - 444
1/29      The Eighth Square - The Storm                  445 - 497
1/30      The Secret - The End Game                      498 - 550

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Yep!

I have this book (and the sequel) waiting for almost 2 years to be read. I don't know who's more excited with the prospect of reading, me, or the poor book.

message 27: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Sonia wrote: "Yep!

I have this book (and the sequel) waiting for almost 2 years to be read. I don't know who's more excited with the prospect of reading, me, or the poor book."

Hehe! You still willing to help some with the DQs?

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Mary wrote: "Hehe! You still willing to help some with the DQs? "

Sure thing!

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments I read this book a long, long, long time ago --- I loved it then, but don't remember enough to discuss :-( and have too much reading for doing a re-read.
Enjoy!!

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments YAY! I found it for $5.99 at a second hand shop! My library didn't have any copies available, so I am glad I was finally able to find it.

message 31: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments To start this one off I thought I'd post some pictures:
opera comique facade Pictures, Images and Photos
The Opera Comique

the oath of the horatii Pictures, Images and Photos

I couldn't find an exact copy of the chess set as it's fake, but I found a couple with elephants:
chess set - Maryhill collection Pictures, Images and Photos black and white ivory chess set Pictures, Images and Photos

message 32: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 23, 2013 02:38PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for The Defense - Fianchetto

1) Who do you think the horseman who witnessed the exodus from the abbey of Valentine and Mireille was? Will he come into play later?

2) What do you think of the powerful chess set with a a formula hidden on it for universal power? Do you think it really has such a formula or is it just spelled or cursed?

3) Was Velis, the girl from the 1970's, a reincarnation of Valentine or one of the other nuns? Why did the information the fortune teller gave her sound so familiar? Could Lily end up being Mireille?

4) What did you think of the ghost story? Do you think the Bishop made it all up?

5) Do you think Valentine will be able to keep her vow to protect her chess pieces?

6) Who do you think is collecting the pieces in the 70's?

7) What did you think when you heard the Abbess' friend was Catherine the Great? Will the Abbess be safe?

8) First thoughts of the Bishop of Autun? Is he the devil incarnate? Do you think Valentine will sympathize with him because she was almost forced to become a nun? What did you think of his excuse about never wanting to be a priest so he doesn't feel the need to live by the vows he took?

9) 8 seems to be a repeated and significant number throughout the story. There were 8 Moors, 8 Nuns to hide the 32 chess pieces, 8 large oil companies in the OPEC. At this point do you think 'The Eight' refers to the Nuns or all the things dealing with the number eight?

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Great pictures, Lisarenee!

Questions and Comments for The Defense - Fianchetto

1) Who do you think the horseman who witnessed the exodus from the abbey of Valentine and Mireille was? Will he come into play later?
I assume that he is someone who is protecting the pieces as well, because it doesn't sound like he reported back to the bishop about the nuns leaving the abbey. It could also have been someone else who wants the pieces as well that we haven't met yet.

2) What do you think of the powerful chess set with a a formula hidden on it for universal power? Do you think it really has such a formula or is it just spelled or cursed?
I think it could be both. I mean a spell or a curse could give the owner power, depending on what it is. I think it is all very fascinating, even though I don't really understand how the game of chess is played. I am figuring that I will learn a great deal about it and historical sites from this book.

3) Was Velis, the girl from the 1970's, a reincarnation of Valentine or one of the other nuns? Why did the information the fortune teller gave her sound so familiar? Could Lily end up being Mireille?
It definitely sounds like some reincarnation could be involved in this book, but I am thinking it has to do more with magic and curses, than anything else. I think maybe the information sounded familiar for some other reason.

4) What did you think of the ghost story? Do you think the Bishop made it all up?
I am thinking the bishop made it up as a way to get the girl's interest. It was pretty sneaky to get them all interested in a story, just to bait them into understanding he meant to use them for his own gain.

5) Do you think Valentine will be able to keep her vow to protect her chess pieces?
I am surprised at how dense Valentine seems to be. I know she is only sixteen, but come on! She practically gave herself and her Abbess up instantly. I think she was able to keep her secret, otherwise why would they still be looking for it in the 1970's?

I am wondering if it is some sort of government agency. That is the only guess that I could seem to come up with.

7) What did you think when you heard the Abbess' friend was Catherine the Great? Will the Abbess be safe?
I didn't realize he was saying that the Abbess' friend was Catherine the Great. I thought he was just saying that she wouldn't be safe in Russia because Catherine was looking for the pieces as well. It sounds like the Abbess is in trouble to me. I wouldn't be surprised if she meets with ill will.

8) First thoughts of the Bishop of Autun? Is he the devil incarnate? Do you think Valentine will sympathize with him because she was almost forced to become a nun? What did you think of his excuse about never wanting to be a priest so he doesn't feel the need to live by the vows he took?
I don't like the Bishop at all. He seems a bit sinister and sneaky to me. I don't think he is in any way innocent. It does sound like Valentine is falling for the Bishop, but I am hoping that that is not the case because to me it would seem to cliche`. I think the Bishop's excuse was hogwash. He just needs a reason for the way he acts and that is the perfect excuse.

9) 8 seems to be a repeated and significant number throughout the story. There were 8 Moors, 8 Nuns to hide the 32 chess pieces, 8 large oil companies in the OPEC. At this point do you think 'The Eight' refers to the Nuns or all the things dealing with the number eight?
I think the 8 has multiple meanings and that the nuns and everything else are all tied to the number. I don't know how yet, but that would be my guess.

message 34: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments You know I'm just thinking the 4th day of the 4th month...4 + 4 = 8....Hmmmmm......

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I didn't even think about that! I bet that is somehow related to this in some way too......

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Questions and Comments for The Defense - Fianchetto

No idea. My first thought was that he was an advance scout for the Bishop. We will learn more about that later, I'm sure.

I'm not sure. Maybe it does have the formula, but it's cursed so no one can use it.

Reincarnation sounds about right.

I think it was a bunch of malarkey.

I don't want to underestimate her, but no, I don't think she'll keep it, She doesn't have proper control of her mouth. Maybe her cousin will help keep her mouth closed.

No idea. Some power-crazy rich guy maybe.

I think the poor Abbess is doomed.

He seems sleazy and shady as hell. I have a feeling he's going to stick to the girls like glue - and I won't be surprised if he seduces Valentine.

I think The Eight refers to everything.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments @ Alley

#4- You said malarkey *snicker* (I love that word!)

I agree with you on all points.

Nancy | 577 comments Questions and Comments for The Defense - Fianchetto

Not really sure but definitely think he will come into play later.

I think there's a spell or curse on it. Not really sure if such a formula could really exist.

Hmmm, didn't think of that. That might explain the info from the fortune teller and her deja vu moments.

I was thinking that as I was reading.....like a way to find out if the girls knew anything about the chess set.

I think she will try her best to protect them.

I think Llewellyn and/or Blanche. When they asked Catherine to try to get some rare pieces when she's in Algiers I thought they were just setting her up for trouble.

I was surprised. I don't think she'll be safe since the Bishop seems to know where she is/who she was going to see.

He seems so suave and the girls are eating him up. I haven't figured out if he's being sincere or just trying to feed the girls stories to earn their sympathy.

I think it relates to all the things.

Rosina | 1610 comments Questions and Comments for The Defense - Fianchetto

An advance scout or a protector of the chess set

Could be a spell but then a formula is an option also but it would have to remain intact and all pieces together for a formaula to make sense

Reincarnation is a good idea

ghost story was interesting but it could be a ploy on his part to get more info out of the girls

I think she will but it wont be without some tough decisions having to be made

Members of OPEC seem to be too obvious, in order to gain world domination of the oil markets.

i hope she is safe.

i think he is that century's Player. In history most priests had this forced upon them by right of birth. hoping Valentine doesnt fall for his charm and give the game away

There are the 8 accounting firms and her birthday is April 4 = 8. i think 8 is a magic number. There is a magic 8 ball and dont the chinese like the number 8 in their house numbers or is that 4.

Rosina | 1610 comments This is a re read for me. Read it 20+ years ago and it was one of my favorite books.

Thanks to age...i cant remember a darn thing about it now...lol...

I am hooked and cant wait to continue reading.
Wonder if the sequel is as good...

Laura My first time to answer questions and I'm going to try to figure out how to bold. We shall see :)

Questions and Comments for The Defense - Fianchetto

1) Who do you think the horseman who witnessed the exodus from the abbey of Valentine and Mireille was?
Will he come into play later?

I first thought he worked for the Bishop but now wonder if he is more of a protector. I think he will be important later in the book.

Maybe each piece has some power and then together it is the ultimate power.

That didn't even cross my mind when reading but could definitely be a possibility.

I thought it was a great story but pretty sure the Bishop made it up.

I think her heart is in the right place and she wants to keep her vow but I don't know if she will be able to

Not sure, maybe some rich eccentric

I have to agree with the other Laura and I think the Abbess is in big trouble.

I don't like him but I do think Valentine will sympathize with him in that I think he is a great manipulator (as with telling the ghost story)

definitely thing the eight is about everything

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Lisarenee LOVED the pictures

Questions AND Comments FOR The Defense - Fianchetto

1) Who do you think the horseman who witnessed the exodus FROM the abbey of Valentine AND Mireille was? Will he come INTO play later?
I don't know, but maybe we'll found out.

2) What do you think of the powerful chess set WITH a a formula hidden on it FOR universal power? Do you think it really has such a formula OR IS it just spelled OR cursed?
Maybe just cursed.

3) Was Velis, the girl FROM the 1970's, a reincarnation of Valentine OR one of the other nuns? Why did the information the fortune teller gave her sound so
familiar? Could Lily END up being Mireille?

It could be an interest twist, but I doubt so. I think is more a coincidence.

I think he saw right into Valentine, and used the Opera and the dresses and the story to lead the girls to trust and confide in him. I think The Abbess made a terrible mistake when she chose Valentine to be one of the eight.

5) Do you think Valentine will be able TO keep her vow TO protect her chess pieces?
No I don't. She'll fall prey of her desires and the bishop's schemes.

6) Who do you think IS collecting the pieces in the 70's?
Uhmmmm... who were the world power players back in the 70's? That would be my guess

7) What did you think WHEN you heard the Abbess' friend was Catherine the Great? Will the Abbess be safe?
I think the Abbess trusts her friend the same way the bishop will win the two girls' trust. It is anyone's game.

8) First thoughts of the Bishop of Autun? Is he the devil incarnate? Do you think Valentine will sympathize WITH him because she was almost forced TO become a nun? What did you think of his excuse about never wanting TO be a priest so he doesn't feel the need TO live BY the vows he took?
Let's face it. A French bishop with power? Has any of them ever live by the vows?

9) 8 seems TO be a repeated AND significant number throughout the story. There were 8 Moors, 8 Nuns TO hide the 32 chess pieces, 8 large oil companies in the OPEC. At this point do you think 'The Eight' refers TO the Nuns OR all the things dealing WITH the number eight?
My university major was math, so eight has all this symbolism with infinitum and continuity... so I'm guessing is a mix of both.

Now, I'm having a problem with this book. It is written in a way too similar to The Magic Circle by Katherine Neville , that's why my bet on 6 is a big world power play. I'm liking the book so far, but I'm cautious about it, I don't want to be disappointed. No after two years of waiting.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Uhmmm, I just realized that we have 8 sections to read The Eight.

*snickers*

message 44: by Reed (last edited Jan 24, 2013 11:15AM) (new)

Reed Raab (reedraab) | 329 comments 1) Who do you think the horseman who witnessed the exodus from the abbey of Valentine and Mireille was? Will he come into play later?

If I had to venture a guess at this point either Maurice or someone who works for Maurice so I think the mysterious horseman will come into play definitely.

2) What do you think of the powerful chess set with a formula hidden on it for universal power? Do you think it really has such a formula or is it just spelled or cursed?

It’s so hard to tell with these type of fantastical elements. I’ve read some books where I’m so skeptical like yeah right, this is totally going to be the Holy Grail, sheesh! And then it is! So, I’m going to say that it does have a hidden formula just to make it that more interesting.

Oh wow, I feel like such a dummy! I didn’t even get that connection! It would make sense in that aspect though the fortune teller might foresee danger because Velis is heading for an unsafe destination, that’s all…but where’s the fun in that interpretation? I like yours better, Lisarenee.

Tee hee, malarkey. Love that. I think he exaggerated the entire tale. So far I find Maurice a bit greedy and he probably picked up this story of Charlemagne’s chess set and its possible whereabouts and just wants it for himself. He uses the girls’ innocence to thrill them and maybe sucker them into doing his bidding.

I hope so but the fact that she is so young and curious about life, she may slack off and Mireille will step in to do her duty.

Oh, good question. I have honestly no idea.

When I read that I couldn’t help the huge smile that broke out across my face. I thought that was a pretty cool turn of events. I have a feeling the Abbess will not be safe even though she is in good hands. There will always be treachery amongst weak people when it comes to wealth.

I was a bit turned off by him actually. He uses people and I think just because he didn’t want to be a priest doesn’t give him the right to not take his vows seriously. He can leave the priesthood but he probably only stays because of the power. I think he’s a total slimebag but he could prove me wrong in later chapters.

Cool, I also saw the fourth month and day too, Lisarenee but I’m not sure where they are going with the 8s though.

(For the record…I almost made a Crazy 8s pun and immediately stopped myself.)

Also, a man on the subway saw me reading this today and he told me he read it awhile ago and that I'm in for a treat! :-)

message 45: by Reed (new)

Reed Raab (reedraab) | 329 comments Sonia wrote: "Uhmmm, I just realized that we have 8 sections to read The Eight."

Ha! Appropriate.

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments 1) Who do you think the horseman who witnessed the exodus from the abbey of Valentine and Mireille was? Will he come into play later?

I believe we haven't met horseman yet as a character. Maybe he's the real villain it a story. :)

2) What do you think of the powerful chess set with a formula hidden on it for universal power? Do you think it really has such a formula or is it just spelled or cursed?

Just cursed.

It never crossed my mind that they could be reincarnations. I like that idea. As for fortune teller, I think Velis heard something similar before. Something like family history.

Definitely made up. He needs something for girls to see him as good guy and give him what he wants. Since they wanted to hear ghost story, he gave them one.

No way. She wants to experience everything, and some chess piece is last thing on her mind. She'll blab. :)

No idea. Some collector who thinks that he can get some mystic power with it.

I was surprised with that friendship. And she will be save as long as she is with Catherine.

I have mixed feelings about him. He's bad guy, but I believe there is someone worse. He uses people for his goals and power, and he doesn't care about anything or anybody but himself. Maybe Valentine will change that. :)

There is some significance in 8 but I don't know what. Maybe to keep evil inside chess (board was also carved with eights). There is also 4+4 part.

message 47: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm going to be a little late with questions today, but here' some eye candy for you:

Metropolitan Club - Super-exclusive gentleman's club at 5th Ave. and 60th St.:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

message 48: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments St. Petersburg:
Photobucket
Catherine's Palace:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

message 49: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Peterhof:
Photobucket

message 50: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Catherine the Great (I'm getting the impression she liked blue):
Photobucket
Photobucket

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Magic Circle (other topics)
The Eight (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Katherine Neville (other topics)