ONTD Book Club discussion

Monthly Suggestions > January Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
My to-read list just grew with all of those end-of-the-year best-of lists.

Post your suggestions here.

I'm going with The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin .

message 2: by Patricia (last edited Dec 21, 2012 06:08PM) (new)

Patricia (leviicorpus) | 2 comments In light of the non end of the word, what about The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (The Dog Stars by Peter Heller)?

message 3: by Rosalyn (new)

Rosalyn (rosalynhummel) | 7 comments I second the Dog Stars!

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 13 comments +1 for The Dog Stars. It sounds incredible!

message 5: by Justyna (new)

Justyna (blaire88) | 5 comments I would like to suggest The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. I'm planning on reading it myself in January.

message 6: by forestsprite (new)

forestsprite | 10 comments Does anyone want to do "War and Peace"? Maybe not for one of the monthly reads, but as a side thing? Or for January, haha, depends how ambitious people are. That or "Anna Karenina".

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker It has been on a lot of best of lists, and it has been taunting me from my TBR for a long time now.

message 8: by María (new)

María (deepfriedhoney) | 16 comments The Passage was incredible. The Twelve wasn't as good, but still good. Can't wait for City of Mirrors.

And um, I have no suggestions.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie LGW (xstephanielgwx) | 26 comments forestsprite wrote: "Does anyone want to do "War and Peace"? Maybe not for one of the monthly reads, but as a side thing? Or for January, haha, depends how ambitious people are. That or "Anna Karenina"."

I'd be in for either or both...maybe not both for January, though. lol

message 10: by Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (last edited Dec 27, 2012 04:08PM) (new)

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments I also want to throw out The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller . My library has this one, too. =)

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
forestsprite wrote: "Does anyone want to do "War and Peace"? Maybe not for one of the monthly reads, but as a side thing? Or for January, haha, depends how ambitious people are. That or "Anna Karenina"."

I'd be up for doing a series of classics this year. Maybe one a quarter?

I read Anna Karenina a long time ago and it took me forever! It's one of the best books I've ever read, but it was intense.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (villacinna) | 6 comments I like the idea of adding classics. There's a few I've been wanting to read but haven't been motivated too. I still fear them after being forced to read them in school. So hopefully reading them with a group will motivate me.

message 13: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
ooh i def love the idea of classics ! i'm trying to do some short ones, i recently did lord of the flies, catcher in the rye, and animal farm this year

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 13 comments What about something like Of Mice and Men?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/89...

message 15: by Wigs (new)

Jess is there anyway you could make the polls this time? one for classics and one for regular? sorry i can get to it later if need be but i'm trying to get too much shit done right now :o

message 16: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Triglia (kristinrose) Maybe Warm Bodies or Beautiful Creatures since the movie versions come out in Feb?

message 17: by Wigs (new)

we already did warm bodies last year actually, but most people didn't like it!

you can view the club discussion, it's still up

message 19: by Wigs (new)

thank youuu!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Alicia wrote: "I also want to throw out The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. My library has this one, too. =)"

I loved that book. It was my #2 fave of 2012.

message 21: by A Lib Tech Reads (new)

A Lib Tech Reads (alibtechreads) What about Robopocalypse