For YA Writers and Lovers discussion

Writing > Character Names

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allie (new)

Allie You know those things that are like extremely important to a story-names? Ever had problems coming up with a name that fits the character's personality? Or though of or maybe found an awesome name? Ask for help hear or list those cool names!

message 2: by Allie (new)

Allie Which is harder? First names or last names? And do you even bother with middle names?
I hate last names. I don't want anything common like Smith or anything hard like Kuzmiercyzk.

message 3: by Sienna (last edited Jan 02, 2013 07:28AM) (new)

Sienna | 35 comments ugh, me too. Its definitely the hardest part of writing. For last names I take a letter out of my first name and look in the dictionary to find something that fits. It usually doesn't work out though. For middle names I just use a letter, like 'blah j. blabber'
But for me last names are really hard.

message 4: by Maren K (new)

Maren K (mkgunning) Names are my FAVORITE part of stories. Every time I hear a name I like, I write it down, and keep it for the perfect time. But I do agree: last names are hard. Usually, I use an online name generator for last names, or I try to pick something that a has a meaning relating to the character.

message 5: by Kelsea (new)

Kelsea | 199 comments I agree totally with u Maren! I love the character names. Before I even begin a new story I sit down with a fresh sheet of paper, a pen, and music. Unlike you guess I'm HUGE on the first name. I spend hours choosing those. Last names on the other hand aren't as important. I have one specifically which is a must. Character names I feel make or break a story for me.

message 6: by Allie (new)

Allie The first name must be unique and can't be something readers and you will get sick of within the story