The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Doha 12
This topic is about Doha 12
Author's Corner > International thriller DOHA 12 available now

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lance (last edited Feb 13, 2013 09:51AM) (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Doha 12 debuts today on Amazon. See the next post for the description. If you like Daniel Silva, Ken Follett or Jack Higgins, this could be your next read.

message 2: by Lance (last edited Nov 11, 2013 10:06PM) (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Doha 12 by Lance Charnes Jake Eldar’s and Miriam Schaffer’s names may kill them.

Jake manages a bookstore in Brooklyn. Miriam is a secretary at a Philadelphia law firm. Both grew up in Israel and emigrated to build new lives in America. Neither knows the other exists…until the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad uses their identities in an operation to assassinate a high-ranking Hezbollah commander in Doha, Qatar.

Now Hezbollah plans to kill them both.

Jake, Miriam and ten other innocents in five countries – the Doha 12 – awake to find their identities stolen and their lives caught between Mossad and Hezbollah in an international game of murder and reprisal. Jake stumbles upon Hezbollah’s plot but can't convince the police it exists. When his wife is murdered in a botched hit meant for him, Jake and Miriam try desperately to outrun and outfight their pursuers while shielding Jake's young daughter from the killers on their trail.

Hezbollah, however, has a fallback plan: hundreds of people will die if Jake and Miriam survive.

Inspired by actual events, Doha 12 will sweep you from the suburbs of Beirut and Tel Aviv to a pulse-pounding climax in the wintry streets of Manhattan as Jake and Miriam race along the thin, faded gray line between good and bad, hero and villain, truth and lies.

Doha 12 is available for Kindle through Amazon US/BR/CA/DE/FR/IN/IT/JP/MX/UK
Also available for Nook, Kobo, and iTunes
ePub also available through Chapters Indigo (CA) and Collins (AU)
Trade paperback available through Amazon US/CA/DE/FR/IN/IT/JP/UK | AbeBooks | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository (UK) | Books-a-Million | Booktopia (AU) | Indiebound | Powell's | The Nile (AU) | Vroman's
Trade paperback also available (in English) through Adlibris (SE) | Agapea (ES) | eBook.de (DE) | Suomalainen (FI) | Thalia (DE)

message 3: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments I'm on the grill again at Juniper Grove, a book-review and author promotion site run by author Jaidis Shaw. It’s a nice post – many thanks to Jaidis. Most of the questions are new, so there's little overlap with the Murder Lab interview from December.

To make this more interesting, one lucky reader will win a MOBI or ePub edition of Doha 12.

You can find the interview here: http://www.junipergrove.net/featured-...

message 4: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Doha 12 is inspired by a real-life incident: Mossad’s 2010 assassination in Dubai of Hamas operative Mahmoud al-Mabhouh. I’ve written a summary of this operation and its fallout for the good folks at Criminal Element, and now it’s available for your delectation.

As an added incentive to check it out, the Criminal Element gang will give away five copies of Doha 12 (in MOBI or ePub) to randomly-selected people who register on the site and leave comments. Here’s another chance to score a copy and get your daily dose of mayhem at the same time!

It begins:

It’s so easy in the movies. Our Spy Hero (in a tuxedo if Our Hero’s a he, a spandex catsuit if a she) slips into a posh hotel, creeps stealthily to the penthouse suite, dispatches the arch-villain’s lieutenant with a couple silenced gunshots or a few boots to the head, then fades into the night.

In real life? Not so much. Consider Mossad’s 2010 assassination of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in Dubai...

Read the rest of the post at Criminal Element.

message 5: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Doha 12 by Lance Charnes I've uploaded the first several chapters of Doha 12 so you can easily preview this international thriller without leaving the comfort and safety of Goodreads. Just click on the links in this post to get to the book page.

If you like what you see, find out what happens to the characters you meet in these opening chapters. Doha 12 is available for Kindle and in trade paperback (see above).

message 6: by Lance (last edited Feb 25, 2013 01:30PM) (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Seeley James -- author of The Geneva Decision and former KBR reviewer -- has posted an outrageously good review of Doha 12 on his blog. A shorter version is here on Goodreads.

Check out the review at http://seeleyjames.com/2013/02/25/rev.... Then check out Doha 12 , available on Kindle and in trade paperback.

message 7: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Indie Author Land says "Doha 12 has possibly our fav thriller premise of recent times." Check out my interview on their site: http://www.indieauthorland.com/archiv....

message 8: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Thanks, Rachael! I hope you'll enjoy it. If you do, please let other people know -- a satisfied reader is the best promotion.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Chisnell (markchisnell) | 136 comments Nice premise, Lance, it's in the TBR

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Hoffman Just bought it. Will read and review on Amazon.

message 11: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments The brand-new book-review site Momma Says Read wants you to come take a look so much, it's giving away a passel of books...including Doha 12 !

Go take a look at the site, then visit http://mommasaysread.com/win-doha-12-... to sign up for your chance to win Doha 12 . The contest ends in two days (6 May at about 9PM PDT), so if you want in, get cracking.

message 12: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Thanks, Mark and Brian! I hope you enjoy it.

message 13: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Richard David: please start your own thread. It's uncool to hijack someone else's.

message 14: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Once more, I’m consorting with the Criminal Element. This installment is a think piece about why so many literary detectives are addicts:

Crime fiction is cheerfully described as an addiction by many of its fans, including such diverse personalities as Sigmund Freud and Woodrow Wilson. Just as neurochemical addicts have an endless menu of obsessions to gorge on (alcohol, tobacco, narcotics, gambling, chocolate, sex…), crimefic addicts have an ever-growing and -mutating variety of subgenres to sample. But one sub-subgenre has been with us since the beginning: the literary detective hooked on his or her own addiction, fighting crime as well as the DTs or withdrawal.

Read the rest of the article here.

message 15: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments William Davis, author of the Mike Gage thrillers, has posted a most excellent review of Doha 12 on Goodreads.

Check out the review at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... Then check out Doha 12 , available on Kindle, Nook, Kobo and in trade paperback.

message 16: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments I’m involved in another flirtation with the Criminal Element. This time, it’s a review of a limited-run BBC2 cop-noir series, Line of Duty:

The normal British TV depiction of police work goes something like this: the hero DI or DCI and his trusty sidekick badger witnesses and arrest the wrong person a third of the way through the program before finally running down the culprit. If Internal Affairs appears at all, it’s as some annoying git who yaps at Our Hero’s heels and makes his pursuit of truth and justice more arduous than normal, before the IA git is finally shown the door.

But what if the IA git was the good guy? What if the hero detective was a showboating philanderer? And what if the entire system of British policing was portrayed as being rife with internecine squabbling, backbiting, fear and loathing, naked ambition, self-serving cover-ups, bureaucratic make-work and a complete inability to protect and serve the public? What would that show be like?

Line of Duty (available on Hulu in the U.S.) is what it would be like.

message 17: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments I'm caught up in the Criminal Element again. This time, I consider the case of Crossing Lines:

Crossing Lines, NBC’s ten-episode Eurocrime entry into the summer-series derby, probably sounded like a great idea in the pitch meeting. Crime! Europe! Sexy cops! Paris! Donald Sutherland! Europe! The short-run series has done great things for basic cable, and the form’s limited scope (and cost) allows a network to try something new without needing it to become a blockbuster, so this makes all kinds of business sense for NBC. But how does the series work as a story? Well…

message 18: by Lance (last edited Aug 05, 2013 10:44AM) (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Doha 12 is available for half-price 5-7 August! For the next three days, the e-book editions are on sale for $1.99 in the US, Canada and Australia (regularly $3.99), £1.30 in the UK (regularly £2.49), €1.50 in the Eurozone (regularly €3.25), and ¥200 in Japan (regularly ¥349).

Doha 12 is available in MOBI and ePub editions for Kindle, Nook, Kobo, iPad/iPod/iPhone and Tolino. (Note that some third-party outlets, such as WH Smith, may not feature this special pricing.)

This special is featured on Kindle Books & Tips.

message 19: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments If you've read and enjoyed Doha 12, be sure to check out my new near-future thriller South.

In 2032 America, ex-coyote Luis Ojeda must get FBI agent Nora Khaled into war-torn Mexico with her family – and a secret that will rock the U.S. government.

Available for Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and in trade paperback.

South by Lance Charnes

message 20: by William (last edited Dec 16, 2013 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

William Davis | 132 comments South is a Great Book! Click on the thumbnail to see my review.

message 21: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Thanks, Bill!

message 22: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Kristen Elise, author of The Vesuvius Isotope , explains something I tried (and failed) to do in three attempts -- incorporating science into a thriller without wrecking the science or putting readers to sleep. Maybe I should've tried biology instead of archaeology...

Read her post here: http://www.wombatgroup.com/general/kr...

message 23: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Doha 12 is now available on Scribd! If you're already a subscriber, you can read Doha 12 as part of your monthly fee. If you're not, Scribd allows you to read as many books as you like for $8.99 a month, with a free month up front.

Get Doha 12 on Scribd here.

message 24: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Like the Cold War, the endless Israeli-Palestinian conflict is the dramatist’s gift that keeps on giving. The limited-run series The Honourable Woman, a BBC2/SundanceTV co-production, is the latest entry in the long list of films and TV shows to mine that particular vein of pitch-black paranoia ironically known as the Holy Land.

Read my full report on Criminal Element.

message 25: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Nathan Abrams, a professor of film studies in the UK, has written an opinion piece in The Conversation, the title of which says everything you need to know about it: “Mossad Agents Were Suave and Effective on Screen, Now They’re Ineffective Blunderers."

Is he right? In another brush with the Criminal Element , I take on his theory in light of how the other intelligence agencies are faring on big screens and small.

See my conclusions here.

message 26: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Ellis Shuman has written a fine review of Doha 12 for The Times of Israel: "breathtaking cat and mouse pursuit...an action-packed thriller in which one exciting climax follows another." Thanks, Ellis!

See the full review here.

message 27: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Kobo is putting on an unlimited 35%-off sale from now until Monday. This means Doha 12 is now available for $1.95 on Kobo, the leading e-reader platform outside Amazon markets.

If you've been on the fence about buying Doha 12, now's the time to jump!

message 28: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments The Girls with Guns site just put up a great review of Doha 12 : "This is an exceptionally assured, polished, powerful and insightful work of fiction...if it had been published by Big Publishing, I believe it would have been a best seller."

If you're a fan of action heroines, check out GwG for reviews of books and films featuring women who don't need to be rescued by the hero.

message 29: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments I'm on Stephen Campbell's Crimefiction.fm with a brief discussion of Doha 12 and how it came to be.

Crimefiction features written and audio interviews with a wide range of authors working in the crime and thriller genres. Check it out!