You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > February 2013 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments In order to give people more notice of the monthly reads, for February 2013 (I know, thinking about February is SCARY!), instead of nominating and voting on themes we will use the second-most popular Theme in the January poll and start book nominations now.

So, as a refresher, the second-most popular theme in the last vote, and therefore the February 2013 theme is Prize Winners . Whether it's a Pulitzer or a Costa, any book that has won a literary prize is fair game.

Due to the busy Xmas period, nominations will be open until 1 January!

message 3: by AmyK (last edited Dec 22, 2012 10:22PM) (new)

message 5: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments So....i just realized that among others was on the poll for the January poll too. I guess we can give it another vote if it doesn't win :)

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17066 comments I thought you were being tricksty Amy and planning for all contingencies!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Bel Canto, Ann Patchett, winner of the Orange prize in 2002. I've almost picked this up so many times that I ought to actually read it one day!

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17066 comments The Tiger's Wife The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht is one I've been umming and ahhing over for a while.

I have so many shortlisted books on my TBR but not many winners it seems. Maybe I like the underdogs more.

message 9: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Rusalka wrote: "I thought you were being tricksty Amy and planning for all contingencies!"

well, i have both that and the one i voted for on my tbr so.....i guess i kind of was.

I heard good things about the Tiger's Wife, it is also on my list, but other books and challenges keep creeping up and taking its place.

message 10: by Anna (last edited Dec 27, 2012 09:07AM) (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Orange Prize for Fiction (2012)

Audible has this book on sale for $7.95 till Jan 2/13.

Plus it is from my TBR list and I'm tempting Janice. Mwahaha

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48758 comments I'm tempted! But if you read Song of Achilles for the January challenge, can you read it for the monthly group read the next month? Kat?

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Sure - the group read doesn't have to be read in the specific month, so it's just very creative use of TBRs to make it fit both ;)

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48758 comments Kat wrote: "Sure - the group read doesn't have to be read in the specific month, so it's just very creative use of TBRs to make it fit both ;)"

Awesome! :) Thanks Kat.