Candy | 2724 comments Mod
Not mine own fears, nor the prophetic soul
Of the wide world dreaming on things to come,
Can yet the lease of my true love control,
Supposed as forfeit to a confined doom.
The mortal moon hath her eclipse endured,
And the sad augurs mock their own presage;
Incertainties now crown themselves assured,
And peace proclaims olives of endless age.
Now with the drops of this most balmy time,
My love looks fresh, and Death to me subscribes,
Since, spite of him, I'll live in this poor rhyme,
While he insults o'er dull and speechless tribes:
And thou in this shalt find thy monument,
When tyrants' crests and tombs of brass are spent.

message 2: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 170 comments In this and similar sonnets, I was struck by the boast and the brag of the poet.
Love a poet, he persuades his 'sweet boy'. He can do most for you.

"Death to me subscribes... While he insults o'er dull and speechless tribes..."

That's big talk, no? I like it. You sense the humour, too, when he says stuff like that. Never mind us, then, the dull and speechless. It's hard to explain, but you feel he's bragging outrageously tongue-in-cheek, in the old seduction strategy, and it's self-conscious and... good-humoured. Partly making fun of himself?

message 3: by Candy (last edited Dec 21, 2012 05:54PM) (new)

Good points.

I think the sonnet is referring to its own power and longevity. The humour might be at the expense of the poet...as the emotion in a poem, it's art is long lasting. This is a bit of a memento mori...contrasting the power of art against monuments, brass, and even crests are perishable.

There is an insult or a mocking and who is it for?

In some ways this poem is kind of like a promotion. If its true these sonnets were funded by the Earl of Southampton...and the idea is it celebrates the passing of Queen Elizabeth...then the sales pitch of art being a better investment of immortality is kind of funny in a sick way too.

And of course the poet wants the love of a sweet boy because that means a pay cheque!?

message 4: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 170 comments Ah, I can't be cynical about the sonnets. They have the feel of love poems to me... and I like to see them that way. -- Even if it were a love that happened partly inside his head.

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin | 39 comments Oh, I get it. A sonnet chosen for the day the day the world did not end. Very clever, Candy!

message 6: by Candy (new)

Oh you get me Martin! lol

Bryn, did I sound cynical? I didn't mean to...I guess I was trying to be pragmatic. And it was you who said that there was boasting in the poem...and I think there is...that the poem will out last life is not just the domain of the poets but it is to all art.

The thing is....at some point all artists need an audience that an artist has to beg for support and attention and livelihood is terribly sad. Can you imagine that maybe we have missed so many great poems, stiries and art because none of us us goes out and buys art?

When was the last time anyone here bought a poem...or a painting...or a tatoo...or something difficult and scary made by hand?

message 7: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 170 comments It is sad about the financial struggles of artists, and what art has been lost to the world. Or what was distorted for the sake of finances. I hate to think.

I'm not big on Shakespeare bio but I assumed the Sonnets were a private project -- at least less commercial than the theatre.

I figured you had a Reason, Candy, or Hidden Message, but thought, I'll just go ahead and discuss the sonnet, then. Smile.