What's 811 Reading? discussion

December > 12/21-1/2: Nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 49 comments Mod
Choose a nonfiction book that is AT LEAST 100 pages.

2 paragraphs:

1.) Do you think reading nonfiction books/articles is important?

2.) Discuss why you chose the book.
+What interests you about the subject?
+What do you expect/hope to learn?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Chen | 44 comments In Eric Schlosser and Charles Wilson's nonfiction novel, Chew On This, this book is very important to readers because it gives facts about McDonalds and other fast foods. It's very important to read this book because it tells us about what we need to know about fast foods, and that we should be careful of choosing some type of food you would eat. Another reason why thid book is important is because it tells us what these fast foods ingredients were included and how many calories it has. This book gives great explanation and facts about wether we should eat or not eat a certain type of fast food.

The reason why I chose this book is because since I have eaten many types of fast foods in many different fast food restaurants, I want to find facts about this food and if it's healthy to eat. Since I don't want to eat fast foods over 500 calories, I want to keep my health fine, I want to be careful of choosing some type of food to eat. This is why I chose this book, since it is helpful for circumstances of a certain fast food.

message 3: by Karen (last edited Dec 22, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Karen (allergic2haters) | 37 comments Leaving Home Stories by Hazel Rochman
Leaving Home: Stories

In Hazel Rochman and Darlene Z. McCampbell's nonfiction short stories, Leaving Home, is important because it's gives the readers information why young author for example Gary Soto, Amy tan, etc. heading towards a new starting in life. Basically it's telling the readers about how 15 different authors going to explore their personal journeys base on their hopes and dreams. Also it's important to read nonfiction books/articles because it can teach us some great infomation we need to know in life. For example, in the book Leaving Home might teach/give us some information to go follow of dreams. Also gives us some advice to this 'journey'.

I chose this book for many different reasons. But I'm going to tell you 3 different reason. I chose this book Leaving Home: Stories because when I saw the cover/context; I realize that when I get older like 18 years old, I can get some advice on how leaving home is such a big deal. This subject interset me because many young adults who are 18-21 are looking for a life to make. I expect/hope to learn from this is to learn to make a right decision in life to go follow my dream and to go after what I want. This is why I chose this book because it will be helpful to learn how 15 other authors left their home to follow their dreams.

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Mok (SydneyMok) | 43 comments I think that non- fiction books are important because the book is talking about real life situations and things that happen in real life. It's important for people to know about the world and learn about what's happening around them. When kids read non fiction articles, they are learning about the world around them which helps them in life.
I chose to read the nonfiction book, The Guiness World Records 2012 by Craig Glenday because it's full of interesting facts about the world. I think that non-fiction articles and books are boring but the Guinness world Record books are really interesting. They show facts that are sometimes really unbelievable but true. I chose to read this book because it's an interesting book with facts about recors people broke this year.

message 5: by Ilijah (new)

Ilijah A | 40 comments I think reading non fiction books are important because it takes you away from fantasy and snaps you back to reality. The non fiction book, A Nation Divided by Mark Thomas is a good non fiction book because it teaches people about the Civil War.It teaches readers about history and not fantasy. Non fiction tells real stories about real peoples lives. It shows readers different adventures people went on and what they had to experience.

I chose this book because I wanted to learn more about the civil war and about what started it. I was always interested in different types of wars and what happened during that time. I always wondered who were the soldiers during the civil war. I also wondered how many were injured or killed in battle. I think other people should read this book because it teaches people things about the Civil War that most people might not have known.

message 6: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 41 comments I think that non fiction books are important because they help you experience through life by ready about how others are doing out there some where. Non fiction novels contain many information about life and about others lives and some people, and uses those information and the tactics that they use in they're lives. Therefore, when people reads non fiction reading text, sometime they use they're experience and stuff like that to use in they're lives.

message 7: by Corey (new)

Corey | 43 comments I think non-fiction books are important because they help us learn more about the world and more about other places or people. We learn more information with these non-fiction books. Non-fiction tells up real facts about thins we want to know about. Articles can also help up learn what is happening in the world. Some articles can make us laugh and some that can make you cry.
The reason why I chose this book "On The Field With Derek Jeter" is because I wanted to learn more about him and his life. I also wanted to learn more about baseball and this books fits my interests. I am hoping to learn more about baseball and where Jeter was a kid. I also hope that I can learn all of these things in the book.

message 8: by Yamil (new)

Yamil Cifuentes | 40 comments Fast Food Nation The Dark Side of the All-American Meal by Eric Schlosser

I think non-fiction books are important because it gives you information about our world. We can learn whether something is good or bad such as fast foods. Without non-fiction, we wouldn't learn about science, events, inventions and etcetera. And articles are current or past events. I think articles are important because without them, the world won't know what is happing to our world and it's important to see whether its safe to go out or not. Articles can tell us about tragedys, bad weathers, politics and etc.

I chose this book, "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser is because it mention how fast food can be good or bad for you and I knew it'll be interesting. What interested me in this book was how other companies took ideas from McDonalds, to make taco bell, burger king, wendys and etcetera. I expected to find out whether fast food is good or bad for you and it turns out that it is bad for you. I hope to learn that fast food could be good for you.

message 9: by Jamilah (new)

Jamilah B | 37 comments The Privilege of Youth A Teenager's Story by Dave Pelzer

The Privilege of Youth: A Teenager's Story

I think reading nonfiction novels and articles is important because it tells you true facts about life and what goes on in the world and what happens in your life. The difference between non fiction and realistic fiction is that non fiction is true,and tells you what actually happened in real life. Realistic fiction tells you a story about characters in real world and could happen in real life. Non fiction is important because you could read about anything, and it will be true.

I chose to read the non fiction novel, The privilege of youth: A teenager's story by Dave Pelzer, because I read one of Dave's books called A Child Called "it" which I rally enjoyed, so I thought since he writes non fiction novels, I would enjoy The privilege of youth.

message 10: by Wesley (new)

Wesley | 50 comments I think nonfiction reading is good because it is all facts. It doesn't make stuff up too It is based all history. That's why they're important. They teach people about what they don't know. Unlike fiction which is fake, nonfiction is real. examples are, autobiography,biography, newspapers, and etc.

I chose to read the Bad Idea I'm About To Do by Chris Gethard. I want to learn about his mistakes and not do them for myself. This is a autobiography about his life and the bad things.

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 25 comments I think reading nonfiction books and articles is important because it can give you information about different kinds of things, without giving out false information. It is also important because people can learn new things by reading nonfiction books. It also gives information about what is going on in the world, including info about different people and places. Nonfiction books can also give information on what happened in the past.

I decided to read the book Moonbird. I think the book is interesting because it is about a bird that has survived through hardships(not finding a lot of food) while a lot of others of the same species have died because of human activity. I hope that I will learn more about birds and how the bird survived.

message 12: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 13 comments I think that nonfiction and articles are important cause they give information and gives you a view on the world in words.I also think that it's important cause when we are doing reaserch we need to study and test.I think another important part about this is it is cold hard facts and is true and shows more details like pictures and captions.

I think the interesting part about the book is that it is about deadly things that you shouldn't touch and that can kill you.I think I expect to learn how to survive or make sure to stay away and were they live.I also think that it will be good to know just in case what will happen if I ever come in contact with it.

message 13: by Kenjo (new)

Kenjo | 41 comments Non fiction books are important to read because the it helps you learn new things from the information in the text and the information can come in handy in life. Reading fictional stories are also important since it can help expand your vocabulary but non fiction books can give people a solid understanding for a particular topic that can be useful in many situations like making connections to fiction novels. Generally it's good to have a good understanding for real world topics.

The book I chose is called, The Dark Story Of Eminem. I chose to read about Eminem because I had previously known about his poor childhood and how he had never passed the 9th grade but still managed to become extremely successful in his adult life. To me it interested me and made me want to know what Eminem had gone through during his childhood and what had inspired him to continue rapping when it wasn't going nowhere.

message 14: by Altamir III (new)

Altamir III III (longdeoking) | 27 comments I think that reading a non fiction book is very important because it informs us on how our lives are and what is going on today and in the past, and approximately what will happen in the future. It tells us about everything that is real and everything that is real is important.
I chose the book Malcolm X because I remember doing a project in 5th grade and it was for black history month. So we had to do somebody important that was black. I was chosen to do Mohamed Ali. During doing this project, I had a little facts about Malcolm X, and if there was a lot of info, then I want to remember it, so I'm reading about Malcolm X.