dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 6 comments The Catcher in the Rye
The Grapes of Wrath
Animal Farm
The Lord of the Flies
(off the top of my head & read )

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) Check out this video by YA author Maureen Johnson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aLRB... in regards to challenge in Florida for Gossip Girls & Maureen's book Bermudez Triangle. There is also a challenge for Chris Crutcher's book, Whale Talk - for details check here: http://www.chriscrutcher.com/content/...

message 3: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
Here is a good resource:

http://ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/ban...

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (moniccag) Liz wrote: "The Catcher in the Rye
The Grapes of Wrath
Animal Farm
The Lord of the Flies
(off the top of my head & read )"

All required reading in my freshman year of High School and all stories I have reflected on throughout my life.

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena | 9 comments "Whale Talk" is on the banned book shelf at my library every year. I keep meaning to read it.

message 6: by Todd (new)

Todd I'll read a book simply because it ends up on a banned list. Yes, it's vindictive on my part, but hey, don't mess with the printed word, right?

message 7: by Julia (last edited Jul 03, 2011 08:58AM) (new)

Julia | 62 comments Lena,

Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher 's really good. TBV, I read books that people object to as well. Like the recent ruckus foolishness over dark YA novels.

message 8: by Lena (new)

Lena | 9 comments TBV wrote: "I'll read a book simply because it ends up on a banned list. Yes, it's vindictive on my part, but hey, don't mess with the printed word, right?"

Both the public libraries I go to have a Banned Book Month where they set up prominent tables in the front featuring banned books. I think lots of ppl do that--myself included. I always pick up a few books from the table. That's why they do it--banning books gives them publicity and arouses ppl's natural curiosity--so the library puts them out there where everyone can see them and check them out.

message 9: by David (new)

David Peters | 5 comments I always try to read books from the banned book list. That is how end up reading a lot of fiction aimed at teen girls; at least way more than any forty-something guy should. For example I just read What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones. I never would have sought that book out if other people weren't trying so hard to get it removed.

I also read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie last month simply because it has been in the news.

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia | 62 comments How were they for you, David?

Alexie's one of my favorite writers. Besides, TATDofPTI I suggest his YA novel Flight. It has elements from Slaughterhouse-Five, the main character, too, becomes "unstuck in time."

message 11: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 4 comments Slaughterhouse-Five and Twenty Boy Summer were just banned in Republic, MO. Waaaay too close to home (Spfd, MO) for comfort.

message 12: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) I also heard that Perks of Being a Wallflower has been banned or challenged? I find that slightly odd.

message 13: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
Many times. Anything that has gay content gets challenged. The reasons it's been banned and challenged are for “homosexuality, sexual content and offensive language.”

message 14: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) Kelly Maybedog wrote: "Many times. Anything that has gay content gets challenged. The reasons it's been banned and challenged are for “homosexuality, sexual content and offensive language.”"

Why is it I find that not surprising? It's kind of sad actually, it really is a good book.

And what was the reason Are You There God, It's Me Margaret, was banned for.

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frejafolkvangar) | 34 comments The Perks of Being A Wallflower has teen sex, teen drug use, suicide, rape, child molestation, more child molestation, domestic violence, mental illness, gaybashing, homosexuality, abortion, teen pregnancy, etc. It's a veritable bingo night of content people like to ban. Emma Watson had to lobby to get anyone in the film industry to touch the book and the movie still took out about 70% of the allegedly objectionable content.

message 16: by Hilah (new)

Hilah Mae | 12 comments Shannon wrote: "The Perks of Being A Wallflower has teen sex, teen drug use, suicide, rape, child molestation, more child molestation, domestic violence, mental illness, gaybashing, homosexuality, abortion, teen p..."

That's pretty fantastic of Emma Watson.

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frejafolkvangar) | 34 comments Yeah, she does Hermione proud.