James and the Giant Peach James and the Giant Peach discussion

First book in childhood I remember loving. What's yours?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Dianna Rostad I can still remember sitting on the floor up against the shelf of the Kinnaman elementary library reading this book, completely engrossed. This was back in the day when you got excused for your personal library time. Do they even make time for that now?

Thanks Roald Dahl!

Christy The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. Hands down!

Rebecca Barrow The Little Prince. Really simplistic, but also has hidden gems within the words. I still get a lot out of it reading as an adult, but from a totally different perspective than reading it as a child. I also remember two very silly books from when I first started school called 'Smartypants' and 'The Meanies'.

Tina Desperate for a dog, I remember that was my first ever favorite book, I read it at least once every day for about 2yrs, when I found it aged 9.

Micki Lou As a child, my grandfather gave me the Peter Rabbit collection as a gift and I always remember sitting on my bed with them and reading them. Those stories always take me back to my childhood and I love them.

Godiva3 One of the first books that I loved was Room 13 by Rober Swindells, and then everyting from Enid Blyton and Dahl.

message 7: by T (new) - rated it 5 stars

T Crockett "Trumpet of the Swan" was my first. I remember we started out, with my mother reading it to me and my brother most nights. But then I didn't want to wait for the next installment and read ahead on my own.

Phil Lewis I remember getting a book token and buying Treasure Island. It was the first book I "owned" I used to read library books, but Treasure Island was always there and I read it and re-read it countless times. All the ingredients for a great adventure that a small boy could ever dream of.

Meag mine is the first book I ever finished and i fell in love with A Little Princess

Dianna Rostad Phil wrote: "I remember getting a book token and buying Treasure Island. It was the first book I "owned" I used to read library books, but Treasure Island was always there and I read it and re-read it countless..."

The first book I "owned" was Black Beauty. I remember it sitting on my floor with all the rest of my stuff. (messy girl). Of course it went the way of all things, but I picked up a copy of the same printing in an antique shop.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I was 7 years old when I found a copy in the school library. I took it home, sat on my bed and didn't get back up until I'd finished. Disappearing into this wonderful, magical world was such an amazing experience. That was the start of my love affair with books.

Maddy I remember reading all the Dr. Seuss books like The Cat in the Hat, The Cat in the Hat comes back, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and so many more.

Maddy Everonward wrote: ""Trumpet of the Swan" was my first. I remember we started out, with my mother reading it to me and my brother most nights. But then I didn't want to wait for the next installment and read ahead o..."

I love that one! I aim to read it in the very near future.

message 14: by Ifrah (last edited Jan 07, 2013 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ifrah Alia There was this book called The Blue Banana. It was a picture book but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

First novel was probably Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing when we read it in class in fourth grade. I ended up reading the whole series after that.

Robyn Townley James and the Giant Peach. My teacher read it in 5th grade after lunch. I was always anticipating what would happen next.

Dianna Rostad Robyn wrote: "James and the Giant Peach. My teacher read it in 5th grade after lunch. I was always anticipating what would happen next."

Robyn, Did you ever see the movie?

Dianna Rostad Christy wrote: "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. Hands down!"

After JATGP, I'd say this is my second most memorable. I began reading this to my kids when they were all in grade school. They loved being able to hop in Mom's bed every evening.

message 18: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin O'Riordan Read to me: Charlotte's Web

First favorite that I read on my own: The Egypt Game

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Klara Woodson Little Women.

Somerandom First (apart from Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales, loved them) was probably James and the Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl. Though I kind of prefer some of his other books. We read it in year 3 and I hated the class reading thing, but I adored the book. I skipped ahead too. Lol Oh and a loving shout out goes to a book called "Thing." I forgot the author's name, but it was about a Dinosaur Thing and his life as a sort of pet of a little girl. Or something of the sorts. Very lovable and cute series.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

The Tunnel of Hugsy Goode.

message 23: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Melly The Weirdstone of Brisingamen for me... still re-read it every couple of years...

Heather The Secret Garden became my favorite book after my great aunt sent it to me for Christmas.I was maybe 8 yrs old. I have wanted my own secret English garden ever since reading this book! It is still my favorite book. I have read it over and over many times and it never gets old! I still get a thrill when Mary walks into the SEcret GArden for the first time!

Shane I remember my mom reading the Little Golden Book version of Bambi, which was rather gripping - and I think that I was so taken with that book I taught myself to 'read,' because I had it memorized.

Maddy My family had a whole colection of the Little Golden Books when I was 6! In the Holidays, we would get up in the morning and just take a pile to our bed and read them through.

Somerandom Maddy wrote: "My family had a whole colection of the Little Golden Books when I was 6! In the Holidays, we would get up in the morning and just take a pile to our bed and read them through."

Little Golden Books!!! Gosh, I forgot all about them. I remember the Scrawny Tawny Lion, the Baggy Grey Elephant and Bambi and Thumper. We also had a decent collection, which I can't quite remember the names of.

Kelli Tikki Tikki Tembo (... No Sarimbo Hari Kari Bushkie Perry Pem Do Hai Kai Pom Pom Nikki No Meeno Dom Barako)

Klara Woodson Kelli wrote: "Tikki Tikki Tembo (... No Sarimbo Hari Kari Bushkie Perry Pem Do Hai Kai Pom Pom Nikki No Meeno Dom Barako)"

Oh, I really enjoyed that one as well. It was so colorful and poetic.

message 30: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ I'd have to say Black Beauty. Now I want to sit down and read it again!

message 31: by em (new) - rated it 4 stars

em Matilda.

message 32: by G.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

G.S. Bains The first book i ever read was "The Fox Busters" by Dick King Smith :-)

message 33: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Desperate for a dog BY Rose Impey.

message 34: by Ray (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ray Campbell Mine was the Phantom Toll Booth.

Michellyne It was "The Story of Henry Sugar and six more"...
I also loved James and the giant peach.. :)

message 36: by Ryan (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryan Fantastic Mr. Fox

Pepita Mine was Ronia the Robbersdaughter!

Kerry Mann The Phantom Tollboth - I still love this book and have a copy on my bookshelf

Dianna Rostad Allison wrote: "The Secret Garden"

This is one of my youngest daughter's favorites. We watched the show together a while back.

Cristal Mine is James and the giant Peach, mainly because it was a book my class all had to read together. When we were finished reading it we got to watch the movie and my teacher brought everyone peaches to eat. Fun times!

Annie The Little House books, especially Little House in the Big Woods

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris Bumpas Where the Red Fern Grows!!

Akira C. 'The Secret Garden' :)
This book is so beautifully-written and enchanting and also it gives children the love for nature, for trees and flowers. After reading it I actually started a little garden of my own where I now grow flowers and some vegetables. :))

Dianna Rostad It looks like the Secret Garden, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and James and the Giant Peach are top picks from our childhoods. Nice to hear from everyone :-)

Vaishnavi Tekumalla The Ring O' Bells Mystery by Enid Blyton. It blew my mind! :)

message 46: by Hayden (new) - added it

Hayden Chance Spooky Tricks It was, the coolest.

message 47: by Ruth (new)

Ruth The first book I loved when I was really little was The BFG. I loved it

Rosen Trevithick I loved Roald Dahl, but there were earlier books that made an impact. I used to love On The Way Home by Jill Murphy.

Catherine Stickann Twig was read to me by my third grade teacher. Twig was written by Elizabeth Orton Jones in 1942. Twig was a little girl that identified with. We both had wonderful imaginations.

Lance The first book I can remember was Born To Play Ball, The Willie Mays Story. However, there was a comic book series called Classics Illustrated that was fabulous, and Ivanhoe is the one I remember best.

« previous 1 3