The Book Vipers discussion

The Snow Child
This topic is about The Snow Child
Group Read Archive > The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) No spoilers please, until we have finished reading it :)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) For anyone who wants to take part in the group read, The Snow Child is currently one of the Amazon 12 days of kindle books http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Snow-Chil...

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (jefnerf) | 369 comments Mod
^ ooo was just coming to say the same thing £1.49! Bargain, I've grabbed one :D

Jenni Christieson I have just downloaded it!

Rebecca Shipton | 23 comments I have downloaded it too!

Anne-Marie | 8 comments I've just reserved a copy at the library - going to pick it up on Monday, just in time for January! It's an added incentive to get Anna Karenina finished - I've got about 225 pages to go :)

Louise (lifeisacabaret) Hi. I'm just about to download it now. Look forward to the discussion

Nicola (nicola1) | 61 comments I read the first chapter of this last night (I have the 'real' version I bought last year from the Book People) - excited for the discussion

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) I have the paperback version, which has a lot of book club discussion points in the back. Might be useful for this thread when we've all finished.

All I have to do now is finish reading Miranda Hart's book (hopefully today) and then I can make a start too :)

Rebecca Shipton | 23 comments Have just finished this book. I would never have picked it up to read if it hadnt have been a book club choice. Its a beautiful book, I really enjoyed it. Will look forward to discussing it when everyone else has read it.

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) That was quick Rebecca. Embarrassed to say I'm only on page 58 :D. What I have read so far I've liked a lot. The way Eowyn Ivey writes about the cold Alaskan winter is so evocative. I feel drawn into the winter with her descriptions of the falling snow that covers everything.

I'm shivering at the thought of having to survive in those temperatures in a log cabin where the frost seeps indoors between the logs. Memories of growing up in an unheated house with single glazed windows doesn't even cut it here!

So far there's only been glimpses of the child in the distance running through the trees. Can't wait to get some peace and quiet away from the children to read on this evening!

Bobbi Jo (moon_petal) | 34 comments I just bought it last week. It's the next book on my list to read as soon as I finish the last book in the Cedar Cove series.

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (justanna) | 145 comments Just got it today from the library. Hoping to start it tomorrow.

Louise (lifeisacabaret) I'm enjoying it so far, descriptive writing and original storyline. I'm a little ahead of you Elizabeth. Having not read anything about the book before starting and in spite of the title I did wonder where it was headed before the child was mentioned!

Anne-Marie | 8 comments I'm really, really enjoying it so far - partly because it's just so easy to follow after all the characters (with their 3 versions of their names) in Anna Karenina!

Nicola (nicola1) | 61 comments I finished this yesterday - really enjoyed it, so beautifully written! As you say Elizabeth it really draws you into that Alaskan winter, all the snow and cold.

I won't say any more until more people have read it!

Joanne | 30 comments I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it so far. I'm looking forward to discussing it.

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) I've got about 160 pages to go and don't want to put it down. I love it.

Jenni Christieson just finished! not my usual type of book, but did enjoy it. it was happy and sad all rolled into one.

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
I'm over a third of the way through now (not bad given I had to work all weekend) and I too think it is hugely evocative and beautifully written. Was going to say more but will wait a bit to see how things develop!

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) I've got 100 pages to go. Hoping to get it finished tomorrow.

message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (justanna) | 145 comments Had just finished. Would happily read another book written by Eowyn Ivey. Shall say no more until everyone is done.

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) I've got about 30 pages to go.

Does everyone else also have a copy of Little Daughter of the Snow by Arthur Ransome with their edition? It's in the back of the paperback copy I have, along with a short piece by Eowyn Ivey, some suggestions for further reading by Alaskan writers and some reading group questions.

In case not everyone has this extra material, I'll post the reading group questions up as well as they may make useful discussion points, although we don't have to use them.

Nicola (nicola1) | 61 comments I had the Little Daughter of the Snow in the back of mine (hardback) but no reading group questions.

Belinda (belindaj) My copy has just arrived; really looking forward to starting it.

Elizabeth, mine has all the extra material you mentioned (reading group questions, etc.) at the back.

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) I finished reading it last night. Will wait until everyone's finished for the discussion. Looking forward to it.

message 27: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Finished on the 3rd jan. have reviewed as well. Will join in with the discussion

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) For everyone who has finished reading The Snow Child, if you'd like to start discussing it, with spoilers, then we can do so on the Snow Child Reading Group Questions thread.

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) http://www.richardandjudy.co.uk/books...

There's a podcast interview with Eowyn Ivey on a link from the Richard & Judy website, via i-tunes, if anyone's interested. I haven't listened to it yet, so don't know if there are any spoilers in it.