Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Looks like the Mayans got it wrong...

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Dec 21, 2012 04:40AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
So, it looks like 2013 will be coming after all. Let's hope I didn't jinx anything by celebrating early ;)

What are your 2013 reading goals?

-----------

Mine will be similar to this year:
*Read 85 books
*Read 1 book per month off my physical shelf
*Review every book read

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (gregscowen) Apparently, Central America was rife with celebrations of the new time that was starting. Only in the west did we put a spin on it being the end of the world.

Of course, the Mayans were right.... their world ended long ago and the calendar was more than adequate.

message 3: by Nell (last edited Dec 21, 2012 04:50AM) (new)

Nell The western concept of time is linear, the Mayan concept circular. Their calendar ends and begins again.

message 4: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3683 comments Mod
Not only that, but leap year throws everything off. Just ask those people who are 8 AND 32. :P

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 291 comments I want to read a bigger variety of books. I haven't really thought much about the number of books I want to read in 2013.

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | -18 comments Happy solstice to everyone!

I'd like to read more books set in the Americas.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (gregscowen) My western concept of time is also circular, Nell.
When I watch a clock and it gets to 12, it goes around again.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) | 9 comments My goal is to read 84 books in 2013 and I hope to select 80% of those from my physical and eletronic TBR shelves.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

If I read a book a month this year, I'll be happy. As always, I'll try to read more short stories and stay up on current literature.

message 10: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 537 comments I'd like to clear off my physical shelves this year and read more books I own (so I can buy more books of course....)Plus reread in book format some books I listened to on audio and liked so much I bought the physical book (All of Jane Austen's books plus Jane Eyre, some Cormac McCarthy).

message 11: by Gabriel (last edited Dec 26, 2012 01:54PM) (new)

Gabriel My goal is to reach 58 books to read this year. 20+ up from last year. I hope to read 5 history books, 3 teacher book, 8 star wars book, 17 fantasy and 16 historical fiction, 4 warhammer and 5 historical fiction

message 12: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 967 comments My goal will be the same number as last year, but with a little more balance - more than half this year were HF or Historical Mysteries. I aim to increase the number of non-fiction titles and classics.

message 13: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'm hoping to read 150 next year. That was my goal last year, and the year before, but I haven't made it yet. Third time's the charm?

Some of my other goals:
- Stephen King publication order re-read
- Read more books that I physically own
- Read more HF because I really haven't been reading very much HF lately.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments Wow 150? My goal was 100 and I didn't make it.

message 15: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1352 comments Mod
I think I'm going to go for reading less, but bigger books. When I have a high goal I find myself shying away from longer books that I've had forever.

I want to read 50 books with at least 10 of those being over 500 pages. I also want to read more that I own or borrow from the library.

message 16: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Wow 150? My goal was 100 and I didn't make it."

Yeah... I keep coming close and not making it. I was short by 24 (less if I finish more books) this year, but I think that was because I banned re-reads, so it felt more like work, and wasn't as enjoyable.

Next year I'm going to be re-reading some of my favorites, so I think I'll make it. 150, here I come! :D

message 17: by Shomeret (last edited Dec 22, 2012 01:00AM) (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments I have resolved to do no year long challenges in 2013 as I did this year (the Around the World in 52 Books Challenge). I didn't finish it and it caused me to read books that I didn't like so that I could add another country to my list.

I'm not interested in challenging myself on the number of books I read.

I want to read better books in 2013 rather than a specific number.

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy I don't have a specific number of books that I want to read. Mostly I want to read more of the physical books on my shelves. I'm running out of room!!

So I'm looking to clear out my TBR shelves in 2013!

message 19: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 68 comments Quality should always beat quantity.

I can't remember if I've posted this stat before on this forum, but an average person living to the age of 75 (reading one book a week) will get through 3900 books in their lifetime, so choose wisely.

message 20: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments I am trying to read a large number of books I own. I also lowered my number for next year because I plan several long ones like War and Peace. For 2013 I have picked 13 from my shelves that are HF, my favorite genre, 13 that are a variety of genres for diversity and 13 that are nonfiction. I set my total goal for 78 down from the 96 that was my goal for this year, but concentrating more on the books rather than the number. I actually am now at 108 for this year.

message 21: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I am lowering the number of books I read this coming year as well. I normally shoot for about 50 (which I made that goal this year), but I have some longer more involved books I wanted to read. My first read of the new year will be Anna Karenina. I am not sure of what my overall goal will be yet. I will have 13 for sure books picked out and then go from there.

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 25 comments Of course the Mayans never SAID the world was going to end. That was assumptions by others.

But next year I want to read at least books, and get better about posting on my blog and sharing

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan Spence | 3 comments Reading has been shoved aside for too long. I plan on turning off the computer in the evenings and settling down in front of the wood stove with a book much more often.

message 24: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 537 comments Susan wrote: "Reading has been shoved aside for too long. I plan on turning off the computer in the evenings and settling down in front of the wood stove with a book much more often."

That's my favorite spot too, Susan. As close to the wood stove as I can possibly get without climbing in!

message 25: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 146 comments In 2012 my goal started out as 100 books but I had to bump it down to 80 because I work full time and went back to college full time in August. I graduate at the end of March so I'll be aiming for 100 again this year and hopefully I'll make it!

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinahh) | 256 comments My 2012 goal was 50 books but I bumped it up to 75 a few months ago. I am now reading my 75th book so I estimated that just right. I cannot decide if I want to make the leap up to 100 or maybe just a small step up to 80. I would also like to review more books and continue participating in the challenges.

message 27: by Leonide (new)

Leonide Martin | 88 comments Terri got it right, the Mayans never had any prophecy that the world would end on 12-21-12, just that their calendar would roll over into another large cycle (from the 12th to the 13th Baktun). I celebrated the new Baktun in Chichen Itza with thousands of others. This coming year I hope to read several more historical fiction books. Need some time to write!

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lafferty I'm a slow reader so I'm going with 15 which is good for me since I usually don't read more than one book a month.