Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Books > What's your favorite "Battle Scene" (May be some spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
From Epic Fantasy to far out Sci-Fi, to the modern world we live in, one (of many) of the features in Action Adventure books involve wars and battles. That's part of what comes with the genre.

What's your favorite scene from the books (no movies)?

You can have more than one for more than one reason. Drop us a line with your favorite and maybe a bit of why if you like.

(**Note, this is a reader discussion thread, anyone, Author or not, may participate as a reader but please, no self-promotion**)

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I'll go ahead and be first.

The Battle of Helm's Deep in The two Towers.

Yes, I know it's kind of cliche these days to go with Tolkien and I know it wasn't the biggest battle scene in LoTR. It was one of the first battle scenes in my young reading where I really "got it" and could imagine (as I read) the defenders battling in desparation as Orc's swarmed the ramparts and the Rohrim riding to the rescue.

So, I may have read battle scenes I thought were better, but this is where my list of "Favorites" starts.

What about you?

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments It was King Kull in "By This Axe I Rule" has him standing alone in a room fighting a bunch of guys. REH really captured the melee well. DeCamp also re-wrote the story to fit Conan, but I always thought that scene fit Kull so perfectly.

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Jim wrote: "It was King Kull in "By This Axe I Rule" has him standing alone in a room fighting a bunch of guys. REH really captured the melee well. DeCamp also re-wrote the story to fit Conan, but I always t..."

Oh, yes, KULL! That whole bunch is a lot of fun to read: Conan, Kull, Red Sonja.

I love the title, very 70s ish Conan (or earlier maybe). "By this Axe I Rule". Thank you for that.

message 5: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

For a more modern read, but a Sci-fi read, I'd go with Soldier of the Legion by Marshall S. Thomas. For a High Tech battle, this one was cool. Indescrimnant use of Nukes, lazers mountains falling on people, melting through bulkheads you name it.

message 6: by S.L.J. (new)

S.L.J. (sammyslj) | 87 comments The ending of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was pretty good but I think Battle Royale had some pretty good ones as well. :)

message 7: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Cool I'll have to check Battle Royale out.

message 8: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Two battles from The Dresden books come to mind. In Summer Knight the Battle of the Stone Table and the picture of all of Faerie arrayed against each other. Also in Changes the Battle against the Red Court where Harry and all his friends along with "others" must face off against the entire Red Court of Vampires.

In Epic Fantasy there are several in The Lord of the Rings (Helm's Deep was mentioned). There are also several in The Deed of Paksenarrion. The Battle to protect the King in Oath of Gold comes to mind.

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 449 comments For SF/space battles, several of the battles in David Weber "Honor Harrington" series I don't think could be done any better.

Also SF, but post-apocalypse gun powder/ mounted cavalry battles, the battles in "The General" series by S. M. Stirling and David Drake are exceptional.

Again SF, but Roman-era type military action, the final battle in Eric Flint's standalone, Mother of Demons is very well done.

message 10: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Dec 23, 2012 03:27PM) (new)

I haven't read those either, but I want to read the Honor Harrington books.

The series I'm reading now has some pretty good combat and battle scenes. It's a really good read. (I wonder who's noticed I've done nothing but read 6 of these in a row!)

THis is the Spinward Fringe series. There's a lot to it, and it's better than Wool. (To me anyway.) (much more up-beat).

There's some cool combat scenes in Gred Ilse "Black Cross too." but they stop short of full scale war...(well just a piece of two of it.)

message 11: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Hay (wwwthomaslhaycom) | 14 comments Right after the terminator says:"I'll be Back."

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

What the heck's wrong with me? I almost forgot one of the best!

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. There's a lot of technical jargon here, but, from my millitary standpoint, he got most of his details right on the weapons and systems he wrote about....at least in this one.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I'll go ahead and be first.

The Battle of Helm's Deep in The two Towers.

Yes, I know it's kind of cliche these days to go with Tolkien and I know it wasn't the biggest battle scene in LoTR. It ..."

YES! I vote for Helms Deep also.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4711 comments Mod
Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Two battles from The Dresden books come to mind. In Summer Knight the Battle of the Stone Table and the picture of all of Faerie arrayed against each other. Also in Changes the Battle against the R..."

Oh that was epic in Summer Knight!

message 15: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

And, now I can put up another battle scene, well several.

All written by Martin Caidin in Whip. A good "Pilot's view" of war. The initial Battle of Midway scenes are good, and then later some good areal combat.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) There's a great battle scene in "To Green Angel Tower" towards the end of the book. The battle takes place on frozen tundra and the war horses are geared in battle spikes. Great stuff!

To Green Angel Tower
To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3) by Tad Williams

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4711 comments Mod
I'm getting some good recommendations. Keep them coming!

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Hay (wwwthomaslhaycom) | 14 comments 300. The whole movie

message 19: by Ric (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 7 comments There's an eerie battle between two Protectors (highly intelligent precursors to humans) in one of the Ringworld books, perhaps The Ringworld Engineers, where the protagonists try to outwit each other by predicting each other's next moves, at the same time, one of them is trying to commit suicide without clearly trying to do so. Somehow this comes to mind when I read this thread. Not a movie style battle, but more of an in-your-head, chess-like battle with deadly consequence.

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

That sounds really cool, Ric.

message 21: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

In The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny the fight up the steps of Amber by Corwin and Bleys was pretty cool.

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

That's on my list, Hugh.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one to. The battle for Avalon is good to.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments And don't forget the one between Corwin & Eric or at the Courts of Chaos. I think Zelazny's best might have been the battle of Keenset (sp?) in Lord of Light.

message 25: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

That was cool too!

message 26: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "That's on my list, Hugh."

One of my favorite books, read during my youth (young adult anyway). Loved 'em.

message 27: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

And while were at it... the running gun battle with the Hovercraft (Snow Cats) in Ice Station was really cool too.

and, the battle for the "Station" in Ice Hunt was pretty fun.

I just recalled a book called Hunters of the Red Moon that has some good battles and climaxes in a huge battle that's very well done. If I start thinking back I'll probably come up with a lot of battle scenes I haven't thought of for years.

message 29: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I just recalled a book called Hunters of the Red Moon that has some good battles and climaxes in a huge battle that's very well done. If I start thinking back I'll probably come up with a lot of ba..."

Oh, Hell Yeah! (and to think, it wasn't that long ago we were discussing that book on some thread somewhere.)

That whole book is a running fight for survival! (the sequel isn't bad either!)

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Yeah, Hugh. I think Reilly writes great, over the top action scenes. I always feel like I'm watching an action movie when I read his books.

Sandstorm by Rollins had some good scenes like that.

message 31: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Yeah, Hugh. I think Reilly writes great, over the top action scenes. I always feel like I'm watching an action movie when I read his books.

Sandstorm by Rollins had some good scenes like that."

Ice Hunt had the same "tempo" as Ice Station to me. Loved it. And your right, the final battle scene in the raging sandstorm with all the "stuff" going on in Ur was really cool. "and I miss Sophia... (sigh)... she was hotter than Seichan...if you ask me... but nobody asked me.

message 32: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Yes, man to man, hand to hand singular combat is one thing, and massive armies bombs is another, but both seem easier ot write for me than a party of six versus a party of six. How do you write it without getting distracted.

I have several of Dan Abnett's 40K books on my shelves and haven't gotten to them. I found them all at once used for like $3 each so snapped them up.

message 34: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I have several of Dan Abnett's 40K books on my shelves and haven't gotten to them. I found them all at once used for like $3 each so snapped them up."

I love Abnett's 40K stuff! I'm several books into The Horus Heresy and while he doesn't write all of the books in the series, they have all been strong so far. Gaunts' Ghosts and The Ravenor series are both really good.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I thought that was a good movie. The guys were clearly not actors, but they seemed more authentic to me.

message 36: by Joe (new)

Joe  Noir (goodreadscomgoodreadscomjoe_noir) | 19 comments I like the extended battle scene early in Ice Station by Matthew Reilly.

message 37: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Joe wrote: "I like the extended battle scene early in Ice Station by Matthew Reilly."

Oh yeah, that was cool. Snow hovercraft bouncing all over the place, grenades rocket assisted and other wise, bodies flying... if it weren't for the grapling hooks...

I'm with you, those were some intense fight scenes.

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Reilly writes the best action scenes!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Hector Vs Achilles II

Fall of Kings
David and Stella Gemmell

message 40: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I might add the battle scenes of man against "The PRIME!" (be scared, be very scared) in Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. Worm-hol wars, nukes, cyber-punk, spy stories, murder mysteries and on top of it, they have these huge battles over some cherrished planets.

message 41: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I'd also add the battle to take back and free the Triton in Randolph Lalonde's Spinward Rift Series is pretty cool too!

Very Cool for a space battle.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Is it possible you mean Spinward Fringe?

message 43: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Apr 19, 2013 04:26AM) (new)

Jack wrote: "Is it possible you mean Spinward Fringe?"

OOPs, it's absolutely possible. Heh... Spinward Rift is from an old table top roleplaying game (governed by dice and powered by imagination) I keep getting them mixed up.

Yes, Spinward Fringe.

message 44: by Bookwyrm13 (new)

Bookwyrm13 | 13 comments The final confrontation of the EDF / Ildiran alliance vs the Fieros in Kevin J Andersons "The Ashes Of Worlds" (saga of the seven suns conclusion)

message 45: by Bookwyrm13 (new)

Bookwyrm13 | 13 comments The death of Lavan Firestorm, "Brightly Burning" Mercedes Lackey

message 46: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Both sound cool. Speaking of Mercedes Lackey I thought the first book of her Gryphon Series, The Black Gryphon had a reall neat take on battle. Scenes reminded me of the old Movie "Dawn Patrol" which was a World War One story about the "Hat in the Ring Squadron" in black and white. I had the feeling, while I was reading, that I was watching the people at the airfield anxiously waiting to see if their pilot (in this cayse the Black Gryphon) would return. Not a battle scene, but there were several of those, just that was what I felt rather unique to work into a Fantasy story. I liked it.

message 47: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments "We Were Soldiers Once and Young". Great book and it's all a battle scene. The most realistic account I've ever read.

message 48: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Not really considered a battle scene but Owen Pitt vs 10 gangsta gnomes cmon deserves a mention

message 49: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Travis of NNY wrote: "Not really considered a battle scene but Owen Pitt vs 10 gangsta gnomes cmon deserves a mention"

That deserves Honorable Mention Somwhere... but then, the Battle over the MHI Compound was pretty intense too.

And my favorite, the final battle with Skippy flyin the Helo and Ed, fixing "Evil Spirits." (and the narrator for MHI did the Orc Voices best!

message 50: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Larry wrote: ""We Were Soldiers Once and Young". Great book and it's all a battle scene. The most realistic account I've ever read."

I haven't read that. The most realistic Battle I've come across is probably from Tom Clancy in The Hunt for Red October and even more so in Red Storm Rising. Though that may be from a "macro" vantage point, not so much a "living through it" Point of View. I'm also not sure his realism and accuracy translates through his later books. Those two are pretty accurate though.

« previous 1