Goodreads Ireland discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Inactive Discussions > Life of Pi Movie

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone.

Recently I took my little brother to watch Ang Lee's screen adaptation of Yann Martel's Life of Pi and I was very impressed by it. The film is absolutely beautiful. Possibly the most beautifully made film I've ever. The story is very true to Martel's novel with only minor changes and I really can't recommend it enough.

Are any of you fans of the novel? Do you intend on seeing the movvie?

I-like-to-read (akakate) I read the book and didn't get it. I might go and see the film then try again :-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

If nothing else the film is visually amazing. I'd easily recommend it to anyone.

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Dec 24, 2012 12:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kevin (machinum) | 5 comments I loved the book but haven't seen the film. Worried that it may not be up the same quality as the novel itself as the concept of the story is rather confusing (well, not confusing, but I'd rather not give away the plot) and I'm worried if they'd never be able to capture this on film.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I was worried about that myself, Kevin. It's very true to the novel with only minor changes. I'd actually urge you to go and see it.

John Braine (trontsephore) I loved the book and have heard reviews that repeat how amazing it looks. So I definitely want to see the film. I've heard other reviews saying the message it's delivering is a bit trite though, that it will make you believe in god etc. I don't think the book tried to do that.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It just uses the same quote from the book. The religiousity of the opening chapters of the book isn't played up to quite the same extent in the film but, unlike the book, it is repeated a few times later in the story.

It's no more theologically challenging than the book.

message 8: by Ted (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted | 133 comments I wasn't crazy about the book. My impression is that there is an unusual spread of opinion on it here at Goodreads (for an award winning novel), certainly the case among my friends and people I follow. I recently read it specifically to "prepare" for seeing the movie, but now I think it's unlikely that I'll see the movie.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm surprised by that, Ted. I had never heard a bad opinion, nor read a bad review of the book until I joined Goodreads. The movie may still have something to offer, though. If nothing else it is absolutely gorgeous.

Out of interest, what was it that you didn't enjoy about the book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.