Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > January Monthly Read Nominations 2013

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the thread for your monthly read nominations for January 2013.

This category is open to any novel from any genre. There is one nomination per member and the thread will remain open until December 27, after which the poll will be assembled.

I look forward to viewing your nominations.

Declan. :)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Guildea The Pebble

I added this, yes I am the author, but honestly the person who wanted to nominate had no clue what to do. Sorry soz for the apparent vanity lol

message 3: by Matthew (last edited Dec 21, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Matthew McFarland (matthewwmcfarland) | 5 comments Well i'm just plain vain, so here's my book! Fifty/Fifty and other stories

message 4: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) I'll go for Life of Pi

Iuliana Naughton | 46 comments I loved the Life of Pi,cannot wait to see the movie.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Dec 21, 2012 02:52PM) (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I would like to nominateThe Round House. .Louise Erdrich. It's a brilliant novel set on an Indian reservation in N. Dakota. Won the National Book Club award. It's a female author, Declan. Remember our discussion on great women novelists.

message 7: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre I'd like to nominate Tinkers. I've heard it's a wonderful book, and was nominated (I think) for a pulitzer last year, so can't be too bad. It's paperback, and not too long. OK, I'll never make a saleswoman, will I? Either way, I'd be happy with either Louise Erdrich or Life of Pi, so so far three great options. Yippee!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

@Iuliana. I've already seen the movie and I loved it. I'd recommend watching in 3D. It's an absolutely gorgeous film.

@Susan. The only female authors I've read since then were all group reads. I'll really should have made more of an effort. :/

message 9: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre ok, just bought Tinkers by Paul Harding. Author won Pulitzer for fiction and this is his first novel. A few comments on the blurb:

'...truly remarkable' Marilynne Robinson
'A wonderful, lyrical evocation of life in the backwoods of New England' The Times
'A remarkable piece of work' Barry Unsworth
'Prepare to be seduced... Beguiles from the opening sentence ... This little novel is a wonder' Irish Times
'Brilliantly realised ... a reminder of how rich the written language can be' independent

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina Pisco (goodreadscomtina_pisco) | 27 comments I've just started "Why be happy when you could be normal" by Jeanette Winterson.
Looks like a good discussion provoking book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

@Tina. Will I count that as a nomination?

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina Pisco (goodreadscomtina_pisco) | 27 comments defo

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Declan wrote: "@Iuliana. I've already seen the movie and I loved it. I'd recommend watching in 3D. It's an absolutely gorgeous film.

@Susan. The only female authors I've read since then were all group reads. I'l..."

This one would be a great one for you to cut your teeth on. Hands down this is the best book I have read all year.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I like some of the nominations but will nominate Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver.

message 15: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) I'm starting The Yellow Birds today but it's a short book. I'll be finished by January.

So I'll nominate Gone Girl as mentioned here http://meandmybigmouth.typepad.com/sc... and also 2012 winner of goodreads Reader's Choice award.

message 16: by Mr. Owl (new)

Mr. Owl I've been meaning to read Life of Pi for ages so will go for that.

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) Deirdre wrote: "ok, just bought Tinkers by Paul Harding. Author won Pulitzer for fiction and this is his first novel. A few comments on the blurb:

'...truly remarkable' Marilynne Robinson
'A wonderful, lyrical e..."

I took a look at the reviews on Barnes & Noble, to get a Nook copy, and oddly, it had 48 five star reviews and 41 one star reviews. Several implying they had no idea how this was published. It's rare to see such a spread of review comments, but such a range of passion about any writing is encouraging. I may wait for a moment when I need some strenuous work, though.

message 18: by Ted (new)

Ted | 133 comments I'll nominate Ender's Game. I think there are some good nominations here, when the voting comes I may go for one of those, who knows?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

This thread has been closed and the poll will be assembled, shortly.

Thank you all for your nominations.

Declan. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.