Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Does Katniss truly love Peeta or just need him to "survive"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 298 (298 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Sy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sy Gale says in the book that Katniss will choose the one who she can survive with. But does she actually, deep inside, love Gale less?

Annie I think she loves him more than she ever realized...I think it grew more and more as she got to know him , he was kind and showed her what love really was..when she thought he was lost to her, it just reinforced it...I think they were meant to be together...

April I think that they were meant to be with each other, because Peeta calms her down. He is perfect for her, because I think that Gale is too much like her, and she has enough hatred in her for both her and Gale. So I really like Peeta and Katniss's relationship!!! I've loved Peeta ever since the first book. I've been team Peeta ever since the 1st book and I think that it's soo worth it!! I love Peeta and Katniss's relationship. I honestly couldn't believe that Katniss considered Gale as a romantic partner because I didn't like Gale for her. I felt like they weren't good for each other.

Jeni I felt like Katniss settled for the easy relationship. She is traumatized and Peeta knows what that means. She doesn't have to work to be anything but her traumatized self. I just never got a love vibe from her for anyone but Prim.

That's okay--that's probably very realistic, it just isn't really romantic, in my opinion.

Morganvillechic April wrote: "I think that they were meant to be with each other, because Peeta calms her down. He is perfect for her, because I think that Gale is too much like her, and she has enough hatred in her for both h..."

Ditto

message 6: by Summer Rose (last edited Dec 21, 2012 07:52AM) (new) - added it

Summer Rose I think if Katniss wasnt in the Hunger Games she would have married Gale in the longrun because it just makes since. But I think realizing how much Peeta cared for her and they didn't really know each other confused her. I think in the first book she didn't care for him and with each book she realized she liked him and that they are completely different people but by being totally different they evened each other out. I think she really did care for him in the end.

Moshira El Balamony I think,Gale is more of a brother to Katniss than a partner, however if Peeta never happened she would've ended with Gale. Her relationship with Peeta isn't just love, it's need and completion. Peeta has seen her in ways that Gale can never see no matter how long they've known each other. Things that happened in the games, Gale saw that on TV but Peeta was there, he knows and understands. I believe that Gale has tons of other chances to fall in love with someone else, but for Peeta and Katniss they have NO other chance but each other. Katniss can never love properly, that emotion has been twisted and broken in her since before the games so she can never be completely in love with Peeta nor Gale. I don't think there's anything wrong in being with someone for survival if it's mutual. This is a form of love anyway, cuz neither Peeta nor Katniss can survive without the other.

Deanna Roberts I think at first she has to convince herself that she loves Peeta but only in a friend kind of way but I believe by the end of mockingjay she does truly love peeta and she finally shes him how he wants to be seen.

Danie I think deep down inside Katniss lovews Peeta but doesn't want to admit it to herself because of Gale.

Heather I think that she really did love Peeta. Even though I prefered Peeta, I was gutted when Gale just left, and how their friendship fell apart. I don't think that, even if the Games had never touched their lives, that Gale and Katniss wouldn't have been actively happy together as anything more than friends. I think, like in the book, that the darkness between them would have grown up without the Capitol's help. I think the reason we never fully knew if she really loved Peeta was that she couldn't admit it of perhaps even see it herself, because if she acknowledged her love for Peeta even to herself, others would pick up on it, and he'd be in danger. Also, I think she was protecting herslef from the truth, because if he was lost or hurt or left her, it would be too difficult for her to go on if she loved him.
^^ Sorry for all the 'I Think's :L

message 11: by Hec (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hec Hernandez she didnt love him at fisrt but then she becaomes in love with him and spoilers they get married and have children

Nicki I think there were so many traumatic things that happened during the course of the books that by then end she needed/wanted someone to love and to love her, even if it isn't the crazy-in-love thing that most people plan on experiencing. Even though she wasn't trying to find love with anyone to begin with, there were many things that Peeta and her experienced together that bind them for life. They grew to love each other and I think that since they fell in love with each other in this way that it is a strong bond that will last for their entire lives :)

message 13: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya Morganvillechic wrote: "April wrote: "I think that they were meant to be with each other, because Peeta calms her down. He is perfect for her, because I think that Gale is too much like her, and she has enough hatred in ..."

Exactly!

message 14: by Nada (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nada It aint love as much as it is the easy healthy way

message 15: by Vee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vee Gretzinger i think its stupid. she doesn't even like peeta she's just lonely and needs someone. she didn't even want kids she was just like "peeta wouldn't shut up about kids so i guess i finally caved and now i have to take care of these stupid things that poop and crawl."

Maria I really didnt like Katniss for Peeta because I felt he was too good for her, he was the bravest character (not in the sense of the word deadly)he was willing to show his weakness and kindness with anyone. Instead of this facade of being strong enough to runaway(Gale no offense gale fans) or being a killing machine like, he insisted on finding a way "to prove that they don't own me". I admit she did need someone to be there for her (cuz her mother too pathetic to be there for her;I really hated her mom) in order to really deal with her mourning and hurt, so yeah.

Ralitsa Ivanova I am very angry about how Katniss is portrayed in this book. So she almost wants to kill herself when Peeta is not rescued but then she is so weak in admitting to all readers what is obvious. On the other hand it takes her exactly 2 min to decide and jump into the defense in the war. Doesn't this sound strange. Then she is willing to help everyone else except for the person she knows she loves when he needs her... again STRANGE! Its just that there are so many pieces not matching. She is strong personality but again not fighting for things that are most important to her personally... I think we needed a little bit more strong person in the dealing with Prim, Peeta, and Gale. Or is it just me?
As to needing Peeta I think she could have survived without him too. She is always too caring for everyone else so she would have survived and at the end it is all genuine. I like the way Collin puts it at the end she does not need more fire and what is the real answer :)

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Katniss & Gale ; Katniss & Peeta
It's a different kind of love. In the beginning, we know she just got with Peeta and went along with the act for the camera's, but along the way she really fell for him. It wasn't just for survival or settling. She wouldn't have married him and had kids if she didn't love him. This is the girl who swore off marriage and kids.

With Gale, feelings were questioned. But it's normal for a teenage girl to question whether she has feelings for the boy she grew up with. And she discovered she didn't love him as more than a friend.

message 19: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike I don't think Gale was right about Katniss picking who she can survive with. To be honest, Katniss is kickass and she can survive on her own. I think Gale just meant that the Hunger Games have broken her, and she needs someone to help pick her up from the despair she's in. I do think she loves Peeta genuinely. The things she's done for him are things you do out of love. I think it just took her a while to realize it. She was always questioning her feelings, not knowing what was real and what was her acting for the Capitol. At the end of Mockingjay, they can finally be together without any Hunger Games. I think that's when she realizes she really loves him and can heal from that.

As for Gale just leaving for District 2... I think he left because he knew Katniss thought he killed Prim, and that she was an emotional wreck. I think that was Collins' way of saying that Gale isn't what we thought he was. I never trusted him, to be honest.

message 20: by Julia (last edited Feb 22, 2013 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julia Deep inside, I guess she realised that Gale could and would find some other girl, in the long run.
With Peeta, it was a lot more complicated. She was the love of his life and he would not be able to move on without her. I mean, it was hard to tell what were his feelings towards Katniss in Mockingjay, with him being hijacked, but I'm glad that they eventually got together.
So the answer is yes, deep inside, she knew that it was him who cared about her even more than Gale. Btw, I'm sure Katniss couldn't love someone who killed her sister, even though it was unintentional.

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary April wrote: "I think that they were meant to be with each other, because Peeta calms her down. He is perfect for her, because I think that Gale is too much like her, and she has enough hatred in her for both h..."

agreed:)

message 22: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy I believe that she truly did love Peeta but it was definitely complicated. I've always thought that she had a soft spot for him because of their bread encounter. I don't know why I never really bought Gale as a legit love interest because I never really felt like she saw him in that way. I've heard so many people say that they were perfect for eachother but I never thought so, especially once she came back after the first Hunger Games. Peeta was the only one who could truly understand her after that. I don't know why needing someone is bad thing, they both needed eachother to pull through all the terror going on in their world. Throughout all the madness Peeta was the one thing that was constant and there for her, I think it's natural that she learned to lean on him after all that.

Sarah I agree with everyone.
She really loved him and they need each other.
Gale and Katniss's chemistry was just terrible. I kind of think she just wants a reason to still be Gale's friend? Maybe it's me or something but I don't think she really loves him. She just didn't admit her feelings for Peeta. Also, when Peeta was "hijacked", she needed Gale for comfort, not love. Katniss kind of pretended that Gale was Peeta...I think.
Still, I think Peeta deserves better...Though they are meant for each other... I don't know if that makes sense.

message 24: by Jaye (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jaye Good question. I think she loves Peeta... even if she doesn't quite know it.

Varia Jeni wrote: "I felt like Katniss settled for the easy relationship. She is traumatized and Peeta knows what that means. She doesn't have to work to be anything but her traumatized self. I just never got a lov..."

OMG finally someone else who thinks it was at least a little dodgy between her and Peeta. I mean, I never saw anything there, not from the start and not at the end. It felt forced, and therefore unromantic. Definitely Peeta > Gale if she wants to recover, but why does she have to pick one? Considering all that happened, she should probably wait until she's way less emotionally shell-shocked before getting into ANY serious relationship. It would've been way better if she decided to try to take it easy and see what happened, rather than devoting her life to a guy.

It was kinda annoying that the book seemed to assume there were only two guys she could ever choose from in the whole world. She should've met more guys in the resistance and afterward.

message 26: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike The more I reread Catching Fire, the more I see that Katniss is truly in love with Gale. Examples: "Gale is mine. I am his. Anything else is unthinkable." "I have chosen Gale and the rebellion, and a future with Peeta is the Capitol's design, not mine." There are several more. When he is whipped and she's touching his face. The fact that she STOPS him from being whipped. Would she have done that for Peeta? She didn't show Peeta much affection, except in the Quarter Quell.

I think if Katniss had chose Gale, it would have been more her. He could have protected her suitably, and they truly love each other. I was okay with her picking Peeta because I do like him as a character and can tell she likes him. But I just don't think it's more than Gale. I think she only chose him because he was all that was there for her.

message 27: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike However, I do realize Peeniss's chemistry.

destiny katniss does not truly love peeta and everyone knows that

message 29: by Zoie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoie Schori I think that Katniss truly does love Peeta. She loves Peeta because he has always been comforting and very understanding to her. I don't think Gale cared much for Katniss at all after he found a new job. Gale found a new job that he really enjoys.

I think that it was right for Katniss to choose Peeta over Gale. It was right because Peeta has always deeply cared for Katniss. Except when he was highjacked and saw her as an enemy. But other wise Katniss has always loved Peeta and Peeta has always loved Katniss.

Susanna When I read the books, I felt the inner turmoil of Katniss. She really is conflicted and the writer does a good job of reflecting that (making us guess). I believe she loves Peeta. As others have said, Peeta is her rock, her calming force. They shared something so traumatic that they are bonded forever.
Gale seems like the chance that fate decided against. Perhaps if Katniss never left, they would have ended up together but the Games changed everything and tore them apart. They just aren't meant to be.
I do believe she loves Peeta as much as she is capable of loving. They need each other to be complete, simple as that. I've read some of the above comments about her being selfish and choosing the easy way. I don't think choosing Peeta was the easy route. She has to look at him everyday and see the memories of the Games reflected back. Also, given what she has gone through, I think she deserves to be selfish. If everything was rosy and she was happy and completely whole, I would be disappointed because it isn't realistic.

message 31: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike The Games made Katniss and Peeta understand each other better than anyone else could. It shaped their love for each other.

Taylor Sliter she really does love peeta why do you think she stays with him and not gale

Nicki Susanna wrote: "When I read the books, I felt the inner turmoil of Katniss. She really is conflicted and the writer does a good job of reflecting that (making us guess). I believe she loves Peeta. As others hav..."

I think you put it VERY well. I agree with everything you said. It is a little irritating to me when I see people say Katniss is selfish, or that she "messed" with the guys' heads. As if she is in an ideal world and the only thing she has to concern herself with is her love life. She is the midst of a crisis that spans all three books and before and probably even haunts her after, and that kind of thing can't let you be romantic like, I'm sure, the way that we as readers see in other books. She does things she has to, sometimes making split second decisions, sometimes hurting others around her to protect those she values even more. But she is not selfish, and I think she cares deeply for those that she has an attachment to. I liked what you said Susanna about Gale being the possible future for her had things not gone the way they did. That is so true.

Claire i think she loves Peeta, but in a caring way. she probably learns to love him more in the romantic way as they spent more time together

Melissa I think she truely loves peeta she just wouldn't admit it. Gale is almost like her brother, gale had years to be with katniss and peeta truely loves her and would do anything for her. Peeta and katniss are ment to be together and it shouldn't be any other way.

message 36: by Ashley (last edited Apr 21, 2013 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley Quote from the last page of the book before the epilogue:

"...I know this would have happened anyway. That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that."

She truly loves him. She does need him to "survive" in a way. He is what Gale will never be. He's sweet, nice and can make her life good and kinda whole again. Gale can't do that. Gale's like Katniss, too much fire and not enough warmth. Does that make sense? Um probably not.

Lissa I think she loves both Peeta and Gale, but Peeta is the safer choice, as he is so kind, sweet and calm. I understand that after all she went through she chose Peeta, he was there for a lot of it and understood her in ways Gale couldn't. But I think Gale would have challenged her in more ways and given her a more adventurous love. Though perhaps for her Peeta was the better choice.

Joseph Katniss loves Peeta. They both get married and have children in the epiloge

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) At first it was just to survive, but she grows to love Peeta:)

Cristienne Jocel Peeta Mellark, a baker's son from District 12, is one of the main characters of the The Hunger Games trilogy. He is a very compassionate person and is good with words. He has been in love with Katniss Everdeen since the age of 5, but never confessed his feelings until he was reaped alongside her for the 74th Hunger Games. He and Katniss play out a romance in the arena in order to garner sponsors and manage to both become victors by tricking the Gamemakers. Although his feelings are genuine, he is hurt to discover that Katniss' were not entirely. He and Katniss become friends despite the fact that they are forced to use their fake romance to both placate and subvert the Capitol during their Victory Tour and the 75th Hunger Games. At the end of the 75th Games, Peeta is captured by the Capitol and hijacked to believe that Katniss is an evil muttation. He manages to fall in love with her all over again during the end of the war and the years afterwards. Eventually, Katniss realizes that she is in love with him also, and they have two children.

Cristienne Jocel April wrote: "I think that they were meant to be with each other, because Peeta calms her down. He is perfect for her, because I think that Gale is too much like her, and she has enough hatred in her for both h..."

i like your answer!!!

message 42: by Cami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cami I think Gale is perfect to be Katniss's best friend, because best friends should be similar. But Peeta is perfect for Katniss's husband, because couples should be different so they can not make rash and agressive choices. For example, if Katniss had married Gale, and her mom were to come home to visit her, she might want to ban her mom from visiting her again after she left her, and Gale would immediately agree.
But since Katniss married Peeta, Peeta would have calmed her down, reminded her she loved her mother, and said her mom was probably there to apologize.

The one thing I don't understand is why Gale just left Katniss like that. Of course, he knew she would never be able to forget that he might have killed Prim, but if I were him, I would have investigated to find out whose bomb had killed her. If he found out it was his bomb, then, and only then, he should have left. But if he proved it wasn't his bomb, they could have remained best friends.

Markie  Winters Well i simply i think she had no bloody clue who to choose ,and well Gale made it tons easier by allegedly killing Prim in the bombs..
so uh yeah,loves peeta sorta loved ( "D" loveD ) gale but at the same time kept getting that "obliged to Gale" feeling yannoe..
she was always torn between the two and what Gale done, contributed significantly to Katniss's choice in the end.

Rebecca I think both. She loved Peeta and she needed him. Who's to say which came first. When you love someone you feel like you need them. So I don't see why it's such a big deal that Katniss needed Peeta to "survive" after all that happened. It isn't like it wasn't reciprocal. They both had to make sacrifices and had to be patient with one another. Peeta has to fight the urge to kill her and she still sticks by his side and doesn't just run away. They help each other to cope with all of the traumatic things they've been through even though it's not easy. After all that they've been through they still stick around for each other and care about each other. That's love. Who cares that in the process Peeta is helping Katniss "survive".

As for the whole Gale thing. I don't think he ever really loved her in that way. He cared about her and was probably attracted to her but I don't think he really even realized that there could be something there until she took Prim's place and he saw that he most likely would never see her again. I don't think the author needed to have him "kill" Prim because Katniss and Gale never would have worked. Katniss and Gale are too much alike she needed someone like Peeta.

message 45: by Stainlesssteele (last edited Nov 14, 2013 03:11PM) (new)

Stainlesssteele **SPOILERS** LONG TRAIN OF THOUGHT & EXPLANATIONS**

I have read the series multiple times and am currently re-reading Mockingjay. Ultimately, I believe she truly loved Peeta in the end. There are countless points of evidence to this throughout the books, some of which are:

The kiss in the cave where she states “This is the first kiss where I actually feel stirring inside my chest...”
At the end of THG when they arrive back to D.12 when she states “...I also want to tell him how much I already miss him.” After he learns that everything in the arena was her “acting”. She also states “...dreading the moment when I will finally have to let go...” feeling that he’s already slipping away from her.

Though it’s in CF that we really start seeing how much she cares for, loves and wants him. She wishes for Peeta to be by her when she has nightmares, even after she says “...Gale is mine. I am his. Anything else is unthinkable.” All through the Quarter Quell we see more of her love for him, when he gets hit by the barrier and everything that happens on the beach. She realises that she would be “damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies.” And that she needs him. This also led to their kiss, the only other kiss that made her feel something stir deep inside.

Then there’s Mockingjay, where we really see how much she loves Peeta. Whenever he comes to her mind she breaks down, after seeing all 3 of his interviews she breaks down, especially after the last one where they see him beaten. Being away from his kills her. She even, though eventually, sticks by him while he tries recovering from the hijacking, after he tried to kill her, twice. Even at the end, before the epilogue, she states how as they began to grow back together she begins to feel that “hunger” that she felt when they were on the beach.

There are more instances, those are just a few.

In regards to her and Gale, I do believe she loved him to, but more as a really good/close friend/brother. They did have a bond, but that comes from the circumstance they shared, their fathers deaths and hunting to support their families, and having known each other for so long.

Through the series there were many instances where it showed how close they were, but also how fare they began drifting apart.
She did kiss him in Catching Fire and allot in Mockingjay, but never felt anything like she felt when she kissed Peeta.

Through CF there are also small showings of how they are more different now. Since she returned from the games she has had things happen with her and has done things that Gale couldn’t begin to understand or relate to. It is mainly in Mockingjay when we really see how far apart they are.

Gale gets too far into the rebellion, he begins lying to Katniss (especially when it regarded Peeta), he becomes slightly more controlling and often angrier and more hostile. This is shown in his planning with Beetee and when they are in District 2, with his willingness to sacrifice innocent people, which is something that Katniss has become strongly against, especially from her time and experiences in the games. It is their differing values such as these that aided in causing the many fallouts between them and what has pushed them apart more.

It was ultimately gales organizing of strategies similar to what was used in the Capital and his development of the bombs used that resulted in Prim’s death, that resulted in their fully growing apart. Katniss admitted that she would never be able to separate him from the visions and memory of Prim’s death. She would always be questioning herself and Gale whether it was his plan and his fault that she is gone forever.

Many times in Mockingjay Katniss even reflects back to how they were before the games, beginning to believe that Gale would have always become like this and that they would have grown apart anyways. He was too much a rebel, always full of rage against the Capital.

I do believe she still cared deeply about Gale, but as a friend/brother. There was still likely some love for him to, but throughout the series her love for Gale was truly never more than close friends (brother & sister) She never loved him more than she did Peeta.

What people need to remember is that when she first went into the 74th hunger games, she was 16, had been forced to care for her family for years, never thought about anyone in any romantic way, which she states in the first chapter when she says “There’s never been anything romantic between Gale and me.”

From this, her life before the reaping and everything that happened in the first arena (having to act out emotions she had never felt for ANYONE in real life before (*except Prim, but thats a different kind of love*) for someone she really barely knew and having her first kiss be more an act than anything) her ideas and beliefs of love and everything associated with it became skewed.

After returning from the first games, she was a different person, she was confused about how she felt about Peeta and now Gale. Peeta gained a new understanding of her from their time in the arena and he knew who and how she really was.

I always saw Gales love for Katniss as being that he liked and loved the Katniss BEFORE she went into the games. He loved who and what she used to be and only did what he could to try and make her that person again, but even from the first games, that Katniss was no more. From her times in the 74th Hunger Games and the Quarter Quell, she gained new outlooks and beliefs on everything. She also became closer to Peeta who shared these experiences with her.

Peeta also “loved” Katniss before the games (He didn’t really know much about her or how she really was), but is was through his time with Katniss in both arenas that he truly got to know her. He saw/ began learning who she really was, how her mind worked and what was important to her. He also saw and shared a side of her that no one else ever has or will. Through everything they went through and saw in the games, Peeta finally, truly did love Katniss, for all that she was.

Even after his hijacking and Peeta could see Katniss without his previous “blind love” from before the first arena, he still began to love her again, deep down even more than before.

That said though, I have had a very small doubt/questioning whether in the end she was with Peeta and had the kids out of love and because she also wanted them, or because Peeta was the only one there and it was all for her own survival, and she only had the kids because Peeta wanted them, not that she wanted them as well.

This tiny bit of doubt is due to what Gale said about Katniss choosing who she could NOT survive without, that there would be no emotion behind her choice. Also, Katniss does say at the end, before the epilogue:

"...I know this would have happened anyway. That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that."

This almost comes off as though she is with Peeta, not out of love for him, but only for her survival and because he was the only one there.

Lastly, I was not a fan of how Katniss came across in Mockingjay. She seemed way to unsure of herself and weaker than she was by the end of Catching Fire. All through the first two books she was growing into someone who was confident, determined and strong, in both spirit and conviction. But come the beginning of Mockingjay, she seems to unstable and too much not herself.

I found this drastic change a little off putting. It made her seem so much weaker, both with how she acted with others and the decisions she made.

I strongly hope, that with Suzanne Collins working closely with Francis Lawrence on Catching Fire and the Mockingjay movies, many of these issues and confusions will get fixed, cleared up and fleshed out, letting the truth finally be known.

message 46: by Chezzstar (new)

Chezzstar When I finished reading Mockingjay I found this post and I have heard a lot of people say Peeta and Katniss have kids. But I can not figure out if it is really true! I don't think it said it in the book but if it did can someone tell me which book and and where abouts does it say???

message 47: by Chezzstar (new)

Chezzstar Pls answer my question anyone I really want to find out and I am filled with curiosity!!!!!!!!

Romaine Survival: Katniss's best excuse yet for loving someone. Too bad Gale's love went by noticed but unrequited

message 49: by Chezzstar (new)

Chezzstar does anyone know the answer to my qusetion???

message 50: by Jade (new)

Jade Chezzstar wrote: "Pls answer my question anyone I really want to find out and I am filled with curiosity!!!!!!!!"
Yes, they have kids.

"They play in the Meadow. The dancing girl with the dark hair and blue eyes. The boy with blond curls and gray eyes, struggling to keep up with her on his chubby toddler legs. It took five, ten, fifteen years for me to agree. But Peeta wanted them so badly. When I first felt her stirring inside of me, I was consumed with a terror that felt as old as life itself. Only the joy of holding her in my arms could tame it. Carrying him was a little easier, but not much. The questions are just beginning. The arenas have been completely destroyed, the memorials built, there are no more Hunger Games. But they teach about them at school, and the girl knows we played a role in them. The boy will know in a few years. How can I tell them about that world without frightening them to death? My children, who take the words of the song for granted:
Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy
eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.
Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.
My children, who don't know they play on a graveyard. Peeta says it will be okay. We have each other. And the book. We can make them understand in a way that will make them braver. But one day I'l have to explain about my nightmares. Why they came. Why they won't ever real y go away.
I'l tell them how I survive it. I'l tell them that on bad mornings, it feels impossible to take pleasure in anything because I'm afraid it could be taken away. That's when I make a list in my head of every act of goodness I've seen someone do. It's like a game. Repetitive. Even a little tedious after more than twenty years.
But there are much worse games to play."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6